The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 October 2018, 01:23 AM   #1
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera

Good morning all. Recently my wife lost her parents, mom on August 7 and dad on September 29, one week after her mom's funeral. There was a long delay between her mom passing and her funeral due to logistics of cremation in a fairly small town in Indiana. Her dad was sick but we never would have guessed he'd go so fast, we thought he had through the holiday's. It's been a rough summer to say the least.

Her dad was a stud, Naval pilot, became a very successful attorney, he always had at least one Porsche. Upon his passing he had two, a 2012 Cayenne which my wife and I are going to buy. Under 38,000 miles and pristine. He took care of his Porsches. As the title suggests there is another car that we need to figure out what to do with, a 1988 911 Carrera. He drove it and it has just under 100K miles. Again in perfect shape, all original, seats, interior, paint are excellent, black exterior and interior. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the car.

My wife has 3 sisters, two don't want it, one can't afford it, which means either we buy it or the estate sells it. I'd hate to see this car leave the family. But I really don't need three cars...

These air cooled 911's are in huge demand and though this one has somewhat high miles still would command a respectable price, especially in 5 to 10 more years. However great that sounds the reality is I have zero experience caring for a classic car and hoping some of you may have thoughts or advice on a few things:

1. Insurance: Does any company insure a car like this or am I looking a specialty insurance company? If specialty then any suggestions?

2. Storage costs: I could keep this car at home with a major rearrangement of my garage. But it would sit in an uncooled garage during the summer in Houston and that can't be good. Has anyone ever stored a car or know of a company that would be a good choice. Would any climate controlled storage place with a unit large enough work? Or should I look for a car/boat/rv storage place? Maybe an A/C window unit would be a good idea to keep it at home.

3. We will need to drive the car regularly to keep the fluids flowing, battery charged, etc. I'd like to keep the miles as low as possible while still getting enjoyment from the car. Any thoughts on how often it should be driven? And as we are close to 100K miles would going over that number reach a point where the future value would take a big hit? I know the market is unpredictable but generally speaking when a car hits 100K miles it loses a lot of value, same for a highly collectible and in demand car like this? If so I'd be more interested in selling now before that depreciation hit.

4. Sell the car now: I'm trying to figure out the best options for selling the car now. Auction might bring the best price and there is a site called BringaTrailer.com, also Classiccars.com, rennlist.com. There are several places in Houston that specialize in these cars and I'd think they'd be all over this one. But that would get a more wholesale price and I'd have to get the car to Houston from Northeast Indiana. Any suggestion on auction site or taking it to an auction?

5. Transport: If we buy it we'd have to get it to Houston and I'd prefer an enclosed transport vs. and open one. Anyone know of a good company that does this?

6. Anyone here want to buy it? I'm kidding of course. Unless the answer is yes...

Sorry for the lengthy post. Lots to consider in this purchase. Not the least that if we buy it my next watch will be delayed for a LONG time. Any and all input is appreciated and welcome.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 01:33 AM   #2
dimag333
"TRF" Member

try sweetcars in indiana if you are gonna go that far, thats my old bosses "hobby" he loves porsches, might make an offer on it if its the right one

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 01:45 AM   #3
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I can't help with much- wish I could make an offer on it however...

I will say you can always "dry" store it- drain all fluids, remove the battery (after a thorough detail job) put a nice cover on it in the garage. It may be hot, but that's a lot better than being in the direct sun. An "attic fan" with thermostat in the top of the garage will do wonders (I need to do this myself).

One fluid in particular should be a concern: brake fluid. It is hydroscopic, and must be changed every two years, no matter what. Maybe longer if you are in Arizona or other arid place. I run Silicone fluid in all the cars I can (which is only my Defender) and if that car has primitive anti-lock brakes (probably not in 1988), you can't run silicone because it foams in an anti-lock system. But if you can run it, it is hydrophobic, and will not absorb the water that corrodes the brake system, leading to unexpected failure...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 01:46 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would have the car professionally detailed and then have someone take like 50 high quality photos of it and also a short driving video if possible. Then research price and list it on rennlist with a realistic price. It should be an easy sale if you price right and it is a clean black on black car. If that fails I would consider BaT auction.

Sorry to hear of your loss but if you keep it, which I would be very tempted to do, I would drive it without much concern. It always will be a high mileage car so 100k miles vs 120k is not going to make much difference down the line imho. Find a good indy mechanic locally and take it out every other weekend for kicks and to reminisce.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:47 AM   #5
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
try sweetcars in indiana if you are gonna go that far, thats my old bosses "hobby" he loves porsches, might make an offer on it if its the right one

steve
Very interesting. He's in Fort Wayne, that's where my father-in-law lived and where the car is now. Thanks for the info! I'll get in touch with him.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:52 AM   #6
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
I can't help with much- wish I could make an offer on it however...

I will say you can always "dry" store it- drain all fluids, remove the battery (after a thorough detail job) put a nice cover on it in the garage. It may be hot, but that's a lot better than being in the direct sun. An "attic fan" with thermostat in the top of the garage will do wonders (I need to do this myself).

One fluid in particular should be a concern: brake fluid. It is hydroscopic, and must be changed every two years, no matter what. Maybe longer if you are in Arizona or other arid place. I run Silicone fluid in all the cars I can (which is only my Defender) and if that car has primitive anti-lock brakes (probably not in 1988), you can't run silicone because it foams in an anti-lock system. But if you can run it, it is hydrophobic, and will not absorb the water that corrodes the brake system, leading to unexpected failure...
Thanks. Good advice on the brake fluid. I'm confident in Houston there are at least a few very good independent repair places. This 911 has always been maintained by the Porsche dealership where he bought it 30 years ago. Edit: I accidentally mashed my response to you with my response to GB-Man. Sorry for the confusing response...
Old 12 October 2018, 01:57 AM   #7
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would have the car professionally detailed and then have someone take like 50 high quality photos of it and also a short driving video if possible. Then research price and list it on rennlist with a realistic price. It should be an easy sale if you price right and it is a clean black on black car. If that fails I would consider BaT auction.

Sorry to hear of your loss but if you keep it, which I would be very tempted to do, I would drive it without much concern. It always will be a high mileage car so 100k miles vs 120k is not going to make much difference down the line imho. Find a good indy mechanic locally and take it out every other weekend for kicks and to reminisce.
Thanks. I agree that 100K - 120K miles shouldn't make a difference, I just don't know enough about selling classic cars to know for certain. Your input on that is very helpful. I'd very much like to keep it, we'll see how things turn out.
Old 12 October 2018, 02:31 AM   #8
encarter13
"TRF" Member

My Porsche dealer in ATL specializes in classic Porches. They have a dedicated salesman just for the classics. They buy direct from you OR sell on consignment. Whichever works best for the particular car/situation.

If you're interested, I can give you the classic car reps contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2018, 02:39 AM   #9
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
My Porsche dealer in ATL specializes in classic Porches. They have a dedicated salesman just for the classics. They buy direct from you OR sell on consignment. Whichever works best for the particular car/situation.

If you're interested, I can give you the classic car reps contact.

Yes! I would appreciate that. I hadn't considered selling on consignment but that's certainly another option.

Thank you.
Old 12 October 2018, 02:51 AM   #10
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post

These air cooled 911's are in huge demand and though this one has somewhat high miles still would command a respectable price, especially in 5 to 10 more years. However great that sounds the reality is I have zero experience caring for a classic car and hoping some of you may have thoughts or advice on a few things:
GO to hagerty.com and look up the auction prices.. Hagertys also sells classic car insurance.

I'd just keep it, insure it, and enjoy it.
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 02:51 AM   #11
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Sorry to hear of your loss.

As for the 911, it would be fine in a non-temperature controlled garage. Sun and weather would do far more damage to it than a hot garage.

How long has it been since it was last driven? Probably a good idea to have a Porsche mechanic go through the car before you buy it from the estate. Have the estate pay for that and then come to a fair market value to buy the car from the estate. We did that with my MIL's Mercedes E-class when she passed away a few years ago. Sold it to an aunt of my sis-in-law after we had some minor repairs done and had it detailed. We probably sold it a little below market value but it was to family so we all agreed it felt like the right thing to do. Her aunt still has the car today.

I'd probably get a cover for it and make sure it is clean with all fluids topped up when you put it away. Probably best to remove the wheels too and put it on jack stands. Also, a trickle charger to keep the battery in good condition.

Good luck and post some pics when you get a chance. I'd love to see it! My FIL had a late 80's Targa back in the day that I drove a few times. Fantastic cars.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 03:01 AM   #12
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
A heirloom like this... I'd save it. (If I could)
Old 12 October 2018, 03:04 AM   #13
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very interesting. He's in Fort Wayne, that's where my father-in-law lived and where the car is now. Thanks for the info! I'll get in touch with him.
Yeah Chuck is the owner of Sweetwater Sound where I used to work, very large indy music retailer, fantastic company to do business with and work for.

He flies his helicopter to work about a mile some days lol

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 03:57 AM   #14
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky Dweller
I don't think mileage is a huge factor in resale pricing at this point. I think what is more important is the condition of the car.

I would do my best to keep it.
fkim011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 04:17 AM   #15
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes! I would appreciate that. I hadn't considered selling on consignment but that's certainly another option.

Thank you.
PM sent
Old 12 October 2018, 04:18 AM   #16
bullsfan01
"TRF" Member

Sorry for you losses OP. I hope you are able to keep the car. You are correct that the prices of air cooled 911's are going up and while the mileage is correct roughly for it's age it will play a factor to some degree if you decide to part ways with it.

Any insurance company that you have will insure the car, it's not rare enough to go with speciality insurance, plus you'd pay an arm and a leg. Living in Houston, the climate will be fine for a car like this and parking it in your garage, if you decide to keep it will be fine, no need to air condition it or spend big money at a speciality storage. There were many thousands of these cars made and they are fantastic, reliable (except for the a/c units) and hugely fun to drive. They are easy to work on and don't cost any more than a current car of today to service.

If you can, I'd suggest keeping it as it sounds special to the family, but overall it a great car. If you choose to sell it you will get a buyer quick, I would look to put it on Bring-a-Trailer and auction it, you'd be amazed at the price it will fetch if it's sound and clean. I'd make you an offer on it, if I were not afraid on my wife killing me, LOL. Whatever you do good luck and well wishes to your family.
bullsfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 04:25 AM   #17
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Could you post some pictures?

If you can, try to keep it. Else just sell it, but that would be a shame.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 04:33 AM   #18
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Sorry to hear of your loss.

As for the 911, it would be fine in a non-temperature controlled garage. Sun and weather would do far more damage to it than a hot garage.

How long has it been since it was last driven? Probably a good idea to have a Porsche mechanic go through the car before you buy it from the estate. Have the estate pay for that and then come to a fair market value to buy the car from the estate. We did that with my MIL's Mercedes E-class when she passed away a few years ago. Sold it to an aunt of my sis-in-law after we had some minor repairs done and had it detailed. We probably sold it a little below market value but it was to family so we all agreed it felt like the right thing to do. Her aunt still has the car today.

I'd probably get a cover for it and make sure it is clean with all fluids topped up when you put it away. Probably best to remove the wheels too and put it on jack stands. Also, a trickle charger to keep the battery in good condition.

Good luck and post some pics when you get a chance. I'd love to see it! My FIL had a late 80's Targa back in the day that I drove a few times. Fantastic cars.
It's probably been a month since it's been driven. The car was at the Porsche dealership being serviced when he passed and has been there since. I am sure they are taking care of it.

I wish I had some pictures of it and will share some that I take next time I see the car, a couple of weeks from now.
Old 12 October 2018, 05:05 AM   #19
function12
"TRF" Member

Reach out to your local Porsche Club Chapter. https://www.pca.org/ You will find lots of local folks with good information.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 05:54 AM   #20
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Your over thinking it. I have a few air cooled Porsches and they're fairly robust. Insurance shouldn't be an issue.. my pre 80's are all under vintage insurance which is cheap, plus if its not your primary vehicle. As far as the garage, a warm garage isn't a big deal, you want to get it out and drive it about once a month if you can. The humidity can size brake cylinders and you have 10L of oil that needs to be warmed up. Just starting it for a few minutes will not get the moisture out and does more damage then good. Put a CTek battery charger on it... best money spent. It wont depreciate at 100k miles... rebuilding these engines tho pricey is common since you can buy new pistons and cylinders unlike modern cars. They're actually relatively cheap cars to own. Tires are small, clutch is cheap, doesn't take any exotic fluids. Use sites like Stoddard, Pelican ,and Sierra Madre if you need parts... enjoy the thing if you can. They run a bit off when cold so warm it up gently and then enjoy.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 06:03 AM   #21
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Good morning all. Recently my wife lost her parents, mom on August 7 and dad on September 29, one week after her mom's funeral. There was a long delay between her mom passing and her funeral due to logistics of cremation in a fairly small town in Indiana. Her dad was sick but we never would have guessed he'd go so fast, we thought he had through the holiday's. It's been a rough summer to say the least.

Her dad was a stud, Naval pilot, became a very successful attorney, he always had at least one Porsche. Upon his passing he had two, a 2012 Cayenne which my wife and I are going to buy. Under 38,000 miles and pristine. He took care of his Porsches. As the title suggests there is another car that we need to figure out what to do with, a 1988 911 Carrera. He drove it and it has just under 100K miles. Again in perfect shape, all original, seats, interior, paint are excellent, black exterior and interior. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the car.

My wife has 3 sisters, two don't want it, one can't afford it, which means either we buy it or the estate sells it. I'd hate to see this car leave the family. But I really don't need three cars...

1. Insurance: Does any company insure a car like this or am I looking a specialty insurance company? If specialty then any suggestions?

2. Storage costs: I could keep this car at home with a major rearrangement of my garage. But it would sit in an uncooled garage during the summer in Houston and that can't be good. Has anyone ever stored a car or know of a company that would be a good choice. Would any climate controlled storage place with a unit large enough work? Or should I look for a car/boat/rv storage place? Maybe an A/C window unit would be a good idea to keep it at home.

3. We will need to drive the car regularly to keep the fluids flowing, battery charged, etc. I'd like to keep the miles as low as possible while still getting enjoyment from the car. Any thoughts on how often it should be driven? And as we are close to 100K miles would going over that number reach a point where the future value would take a big hit? I know the market is unpredictable but generally speaking when a car hits 100K miles it loses a lot of value, same for a highly collectible and in demand car like this? If so I'd be more interested in selling now before that depreciation hit.

4. Sell the car now: I'm trying to figure out the best options for selling the car now. Auction might bring the best price and there is a site called BringaTrailer.com, also Classiccars.com, rennlist.com. There are several places in Houston that specialize in these cars and I'd think they'd be all over this one. But that would get a more wholesale price and I'd have to get the car to Houston from Northeast Indiana. Any suggestion on auction site or taking it to an auction?

5. Transport: If we buy it we'd have to get it to Houston and I'd prefer an enclosed transport vs. and open one. Anyone know of a good company that does this?

6. Anyone here want to buy it? I'm kidding of course. Unless the answer is yes...

Sorry for the lengthy post. Lots to consider in this purchase. Not the least that if we buy it my next watch will be delayed for a LONG time. Any and all input is appreciated and welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would have the car professionally detailed and then have someone take like 50 high quality photos of it and also a short driving video if possible. Then research price and list it on rennlist with a realistic price. It should be an easy sale if you price right and it is a clean black on black car.

GB nailed it !

While I am no Porsche owner (yet), I have dealt in all types of vintage, collector, desirable, trendy, etc. cars most of my adult life. ALL trends change, and all bubbles burst. The AC Porsche market is currently raging, since none among you are enthusiasts, sell it now while it’s in demand. Will it be in higher demand e few years from now ? Maybe, maybe not. Will the price increase dramatically ? Maybe, maybe not.

Old 12 October 2018, 07:31 AM   #22
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
A heirloom like this... I'd save it. (If I could)
Me too! I would not sell this.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 11:11 AM   #23
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

The air cooled Porsche market is HOT. If you aren’t a car person sell it. Check out bringatrailer.com
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 10:12 PM   #24
Keadog
"TRF" Member

'88 is a great year. G50 transmission, 3.2 engine. Both pretty unbreakable if serviced regularly, properly warmed up before driving hard and driven. I DD an '87 (same engine and transmission) in good weather from '94-'01 and put almost no money into it other than oil changes every year. I would run Stabil through the fuel system before storing on a trickle charger for winter (same latitude-ish).
If you do plan to sell, BringATrailer seems to get top dollar on Porsches and gets great exposure. Only costs the seller $99 to sell and 5% buyers premium capped at $100K.
You could join PCA and put it in The Mart, but I don't think they have developed that platform very well. Great monthly mag in Panorama though.
You can also join Rennlist for free as a user and get access to the 911 forum where there will be a lot of folks, many of whom are very helpful.

One thing about these cars (pre 993s) - the AC simply doesn't work well, at least not in factory configuration. Houston may be a problem there. People do it, but I wouldn't want to drive one regularly (now) if it was hot out.

I follow BAT sort of closely. I imagine a 100K miles '88 in good condition could bring anywhere from mid $30s to $50s, depending on condition, documentation, service history, accident free, colors, options and whether more than one bidder wants it. They aren't super rare but it's a great model run for fun and reliability. Also remember, these cars aren't "fast" by modern standards. Something like 200 BHP when new but a blast to drive. That 3.2 really sings when warm and over 4K RPM.

Some pics would be great. In and out with close up of options sticker on underside of front hood (if present).

Transport. You will want an enclosed carrier. I used Intercity Lines for a 993 back in '10 and it worked out OK. There are other companies as well. Good ? to post on Rennlist if you join.

As far as wanting to buy it, you'll definitely get interest on Rennlist's 911 forum, but you may max $ in an auction format (some risk, but you can set a minimum). If you aren't in a big hurry to settle the estate and can store it safely until spring, it may do a little better then, but perhaps not that much when you add in storage fees and delay in settling the estate. At least it's not a cab (coupes bring better money in this iteration IMO).

Losing both parents so close together in time must be extra tough. Condolences.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 11:58 PM   #25
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
First off sorry about the passing of the inlaws. Second you can keep the car stored in the garage covered all year long I say drive it once a month for 20 mins. Keep it on a battery tenderizer thats a great car and I would not sell it. However if you need to sell it put it in the Dupont registry magazine or Ebay. Also for car carrier use Reliable carriers google them big orange trucks. My advice is dont sell it. Long time no see
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 05:41 AM   #26
R!$
Banned

its worth noting that prices for vintage porsches (similiar to vintage rolex) are at all time highs as the geneartion who find them nostalgic are actively hunting for them

I would sell now while prices are high
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 10:59 AM   #27
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone. Sorry to bump a month old thread. The effort of selling the car fell by the wayside as the funeral and other higher priority and more important things had to be managed.

First a general thank you to everyone for responding. You posted some excellent information and ideas and I can't thank you enough.

For an update, we've decided to sell it out of the family. My in laws had 4 daughters and while no one really wants it, no one wants anyone else to have it. Sentimental reasons can lead to crazy decisions.

I'll post the only pictures I have of it. One correction to my original description, the car is black exterior but has a white leather interior. I thought it was black on black.

Thanks again everyone. If I ever wonder why I spend so much time here I will remember this thread, everyone's kindness, as proof as to why this is a great place.
Old 15 November 2018, 11:02 AM   #28
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Old 15 November 2018, 11:11 AM   #29
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:

Beautiful 911, thanks for posting !

Find a good broker, and capitalize on the market now !

Old 15 November 2018, 11:12 AM   #30
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Beautiful and an interesting spec. Would be interesting to know how many in that color combination were made. With the right documentation, detailer, and photographer it’ll fetch a great price for the family.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote