The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 May 2007, 10:51 AM   #61
Richo

Seems like lots of panis and lots of rolies look the same i.e. black dials and ss cases of similar design with either a strap (pani) or an oyster (rolie)
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 11:22 AM   #62
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I'll give you the black dials and SS cases, but that is where the similarities stop. Two great brands IMHO, but not to close to one another.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 11:51 AM   #63
Richo

The comparison was on the basis that different model panies look similar to other model panis and different model rolies look similar to other model rolies and on that basis panies and rolies have that similar trait
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 11:52 AM   #64
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
The comparison was on the basis that different model panies look similar to other model panis and different model rolies look similar to other model rolies and on that basis panies and rolies have that similar trait
Gotcha and good point actually!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 12:27 PM   #65
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Wow. Quite a bit of passionate posting on this topic. I could never really speak intelligently as to the question of Panerai's being "worth it." I don't know too much about the line or the movements. I've been in to watches for quite some time and don't remember hearing the name Panerai until I joined this forum and heard others referring to them. That being said, there are PLENTY of amazing things on this planet that I've never heard of and are certainly worth it.
My only real word on Panerai would be in the form of opinion...I don't care for the watches simply based on their cosmetic features. I'm quite sure that the movements are solid, and that the case construction and longevity of the watches make sense, or we wouldn't be having this dicussion. But when I look at the watches (or at least the models that I've seen) nothing happens. I think the watches are QUITE large, heavy, and although the presence of a leather strap makes them more attractive, I've never really cared for leather straps.
If you like the Panerai and it makes you smiles, pick one up. Don't get wrapped up in the fad or the popularity of the pieces. Those kind of trends come and go and are constantly being thrown out with the garbage. If you love the watch, pick it up and wear it in good health!
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 12:35 PM   #66
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I, personally, think the history behind Panerai is amazing. I would love to have a 111 and a 183. But, the watches are just too big for me. I've tried, twice, but I just can't justify having that kind of coin out on a watch I can't truly enjoy. They just don't look right on my wrist and for me, I just think that the 40mm sizes are missing something from the history of Panerai itself and I'm not quite sure why But, I love reading about them and looking at them, I just hate the fact that I don't look right wearing them.

As far as them being worth it, hell yeah, I think they are. As long as your wrists aren't as small as mine
Old 20 May 2007, 01:41 PM   #67
Nick Hacko
Banned

Last edited by Nick Hacko; 31 August 2007 at 04:01 PM..
Nick Hacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 06:25 PM   #68
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hacko View Post
(The another reason is ref 'numerology' - all those ref. numbers drive me insane)
You are not wrong their Nick, the reference numbers are totally crazy... I have been obsessed with the brand for 8 months now and still really struggle to remember what they are!!!! Launch Mini is like 'hey amanda tossing up between the *** or the *** what do you think'? I"ve got to run off and do some investigations before I can comment
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 06:47 PM   #69
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Maybe we should all just start using the number system to ID our Rolex watches as well. "Well, just bough a 14060 today, laready have a 16710 and a 16600. Hope to be getting a vintage 5513 and 6718 in the future. My friend has a 16570 and a 16613." LOL
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 07:11 PM   #70
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Hi friend

"worth" is a very subject connotation. Because its subjective, it depends on your judgment call.

Objectively speaking, none are worth it. We live in a world where kids bring guns to school, planes crash into buildings, parts of the africas are crumbling under AIDS, governments are not providing healthcare to the elderly and sick at a reasonabley expected level.

In such a world, anything more than a casio or seiko is not "worth" it.

we collect these watches for the most part to sometimes just "get away" from the daily dramas of life, to just sit back and enjoy something fine in a world gone crazy.

If you enjoy the panerai, it smiles at you, you feel good and for that moment are happy, i say go for it!

cheers
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 08:44 PM   #71
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Maybe we should all just start using the number system to ID our Rolex watches as well. "Well, just bough a 14060 today, laready have a 16710 and a 16600. Hope to be getting a vintage 5513 and 6718 in the future. My friend has a 16570 and a 16613." LOL
Hike! Sorry, Chad, couldn't help myself
Old 20 May 2007, 08:47 PM   #72
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hacko View Post
hi Craig -

I hope you will not take this wrong way or too personally... but I am reading Dino Zei's book for
the second time and I am not getting much of 'history' or at least not enough to get me excited about the brand. What I'm trying to say is if I'm tossing between Panerai and XXX brand
history alone is not going to skew me into PAM direction. I don;t hang around paneristi forum
because I find the atmosphere bit to dramatic for my taste - and 'history' aspect bit too artificial.
(The another reason is ref 'numerology' - all those ref. numbers drive me insane)
Once again I am saying this in totally down to earth and honest way, as someone who is very open-minded and keen to learn more about Panerai.
Maybe you or Daren could point me into right direction - are there any new books out there
on this subject?
No worries, buddy That's whay we have regular strength and decaf, right

I'm not aware of good books to read, although I'm sure Daren is. I find most of the info on the web and magazines.
Old 24 May 2007, 12:57 AM   #73
tourbillontimeworks
"TRF" Member

i love my 212
tourbillontimeworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2007, 01:31 AM   #74
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

I came pretty close to picking up a Pam about a year and a half ago but the price was too high for me at that time... this is the wierdest thing too I just put in "Panerai 111" in google search and this came up:

"Panerai 111 is this a good starter Pan? How much should I spend ...
Page 2-Panerai 111 is this a good starter Pan? How much should I spend? Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum.
www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=5002&page=2 - 114k - Cached - Similar pages"

This is a thread I wrote on here a few years ago now and it came up as one of the top searches in google... I didn't know that our posts here were searchable from the internet?

If you put in "tosser sheep" will JJ's posts come up?

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=5002

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote