The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 May 2007, 10:39 AM   #1
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Panerai versus other dive watches? Comments?

To date, I haven't owned a Panerai. But I do have a fair number of dive watches, mainly because I regularly swim. Here's my question: if I were to buy Panerai (the Luminor Submersible would be the particular model) as a swim watch, most of the action would be in a pool. I like the high readability of the dial and the great lume. Omega and Girard Perregaux (the Sea Hawk II) also have excellent lume though. Let me ask Panerai owners out there if you would pick this brand over Omega, Girard Perrgaux, etc., if you were looking for a dive watch.

One reason I haven't looked more closely at Panerai is because I have understood they are "big" watches. Now my wrist size is 7.5", which is I think OK for a 44mm Panerai. Am I wrong? Let me know what you think. Thank you.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 10:58 AM   #2
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
To date, I haven't owned a Panerai. But I do have a fair number of dive watches, mainly because I regularly swim. Here's my question: if I were to buy Panerai (the Luminor Submersible would be the particular model) as a swim watch, most of the action would be in a pool. I like the high readability of the dial and the great lume. Omega and Girard Perregaux (the Sea Hawk II) also have excellent lume though. Let me ask Panerai owners out there if you would pick this brand over Omega, Girard Perrgaux, etc., if you were looking for a dive watch.

One reason I haven't looked more closely at Panerai is because I have understood they are "big" watches. Now my wrist size is 7.5", which is I think OK for a 44mm Panerai. Am I wrong? Let me know what you think. Thank you.

If visibility is a concern buy a Panerai submersible. All subs have tritium dials that glow like a flashlight. They don't need an external light source to charge. All of the other brands mentioned have luminova dials that fade after several hours.

Check out the 243, I love mine!

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 11:16 AM   #3
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Visibility is a concern because I have poor eyesight generally (thick glasses). However, I was wondering about your telling me the lumens is tritium: are you sure? It looks like Superluminova to me (which Omega and GP also use, but they use higher quality Superluminova with greater density than other brands). Tritium is usually in vials, which you see on Luminox (I have an old quartz model) and Ball watches. I was not aware Panerai employed this technology. As I look at their watch, I don't see the vials. I was wondering because this would make a difference to me and put them far higher on my list. I have read many times that their watches are great for luminosity generally speaking.

The cheap Luminox I have is great at night--the best I have. Tritium is quite a bit brighter than anything else.

But Omega comes close, and so does Seiko. Although I haven't owned the GP Sea Hawk II, I understand it comes close as well. But all of these use high density Super Luminova. The Panerai dial looks like it also uses this. I could be wrong though.

So where are you seeing this? I have looked at their website already. I am just wondering and don't mean to question you or be a "smartass". Nothing like this at all. Thank you for answering my request for information to begin with. I have only recently come to consider Panerai and honestly, I am thinking something like: "Hey, I should be considering this brand because the dials are so readable, both daytime and nighttime." Thank you.
Old 26 May 2007, 11:21 AM   #4
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Added information:

I am looking at either the 000244 or 000243. I like the 000243 (1950 "copy") quite a lot but could go either way. the 00243 is roughly $8500.00 whereas the 000244 is around $6500.00, which does make a difference although I will have to see them in person before I make a final decision. Thanks again.
Old 26 May 2007, 12:03 PM   #5
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
All Panerai submersibles 64, 87, 194, 202, 225, 252, 243 plus others with a depth rating of 1000M or greater have Tritium dials.

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 12:20 PM   #6
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
You will have no problem pulling off a 44mm Panerai.

The 24 and even 25 are very cool watches, but the 243 has that extra "it" factor, IMHO. If you were to get one, you would not regret it.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
You will probably get to the bottom a lot quicker wearing a Panerai.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 12:25 PM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
Says that guy that owned a beauty PR model and sold it.

Gotta say though, at least you gave it a fair run, wasn't for you, but you gave it the ole college try.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 01:36 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote