The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2007, 02:04 AM   #1
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
deep thoughts of Panerai

so all u Paneristi's out there.. i need ur advice and help

i have always admired panerai watches.. but not im really thinking of getting one..

im thinking of only 2 models

1. Panerai Power Reserve
2. Panerai Radiomir (standard one with no seconds dial)

Pros of Power reserve: very classy, amazing croc leather strap, date (very important to me) and a power resever which i dont have out of all my watches..

Pros of Radiomir: very classic which i love, i love the shape of the crown, thats all i could think of lol.

anyway there is a price difference between them.. so i ask asking myself why not pay more and get more out of the power reserve?? what do u guys think??

please feeed me with feedback guys who own any panerai models
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panerai-PAM-00210.jpg (203.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg Panerai-PAM-00090.jpg (214.6 KB, 251 views)
Thani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 04:21 AM   #2
Altair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5270
Can't help you with those two models but would recomend a second look at the PAM 250. Best looking Panerai in my opinion.
Altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 06:41 AM   #3
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of radiomir cases so i'd have to go with choice number 1
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 07:04 AM   #4
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
If a date is 'very important to me', then it looks like your choice is made.

I find the power reserve to be the most useful feature on any watch. After the time, that is.

I'd suggest trying on whatever you can, because you're likely to be surprised with how each settles on your wrist. I thought I would prefer the Radiomir you posted, but once on the wrist, I liked the 183 Black Seal even more. And the 190 even more than that. You never know until you try them.

Here's a shot of my 27 (and a sleeping JRT), which is the older version of the power reserve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaneraiMario.jpg (107.9 KB, 221 views)
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 02:29 PM   #5
waeleldasher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV / 116520
I always liked the Radiomir Base. Its not fussy, there is no cushion case like it on the market, the way the case catches the light and the very fact there isn't a single straight line or flat surface on this case makes it extremely special in my view. When I did try both, I felt, as a designer, the Radiomir will endure the test of fashion better in time.

In the end I didn't buy neither because something in the back of my mind kept nagging me that I was falling for the marketing. I couldn't believe that a real diving watch would come with a clear case back and only dive to 100 meters. Not that I dive, but its pushed so hard as a true diving watch company, the supplier of the Italian Navy and such but yet, a submariner that doesn't even try so hard can out perform it at it's basic reason of existence.

Even the Black Seal, including the new PVD all black version with the 2 guys riding a torpedo (you can't get any more literal than that) can't even match a submariner. However to answer your question, between the two you selected, the Radiomir base is a nicer watch, including the feeling of the movement when you wind it. It has a true mechanical clicking feel that's as good as a nice sporty stick shift transmission.

If you like the crown on Luminor and the shape of the Radiomir, then a Marina Militari might be a perfect match for you. If you're right handed I would also recommend you buy the left handed MM so the crown guard doesn't dig into your wrist.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

W.
waeleldasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 02:35 PM   #6
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
I like the power reserve because it doesn't have the crown guard. But I like the radiomir better for the dial and case. Only if they would get rid of that crown guard.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 05:59 PM   #7
miner
"TRF" Member

Strictly sticking to the question you asked, I'm a fan of the Luminor, have a 112 and 164, here's the only pic I have of them together.

The Rad is a bit too big for me. So the Power Reserve gets my vote

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 06:26 PM   #8
davinci

Watch: Breit Cross/SS sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
I find the power reserve to be the most useful feature on any watch. After the time, that is.

I'd suggest trying on whatever you can, because you're likely to be surprised with how each settles on your wrist. I thought I would prefer the Radiomir you posted, but once on the wrist, I liked the 183 Black Seal even more. And the 190 even more than that. You never know until you try them.

Here's a shot of my 27 (and a sleeping JRT), which is the older version of the power reserve
Is JRT really the older version of the power reserve? Looks like a dog sleeping to me ;)
davinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Thani
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Strictly sticking to the question you asked, I'm a fan of the Luminor, have a 112 and 164, here's the only pic I have of them together.

The Rad is a bit too big for me. So the Power Reserve gets my vote

thats another thing i love about panerais... u can change over 50 straps lool..

thanks for the pic miner
Old 1 November 2007, 09:21 PM   #10
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waeleldasher View Post
I always liked the Radiomir Base. Its not fussy, there is no cushion case like it on the market, the way the case catches the light and the very fact there isn't a single straight line or flat surface on this case makes it extremely special in my view. When I did try both, I felt, as a designer, the Radiomir will endure the test of fashion better in time.

In the end I didn't buy neither because something in the back of my mind kept nagging me that I was falling for the marketing. I couldn't believe that a real diving watch would come with a clear case back and only dive to 100 meters. Not that I dive, but its pushed so hard as a true diving watch company, the supplier of the Italian Navy and such but yet, a submariner that doesn't even try so hard can out perform it at it's basic reason of existence.

Even the Black Seal, including the new PVD all black version with the 2 guys riding a torpedo (you can't get any more literal than that) can't even match a submariner. However to answer your question, between the two you selected, the Radiomir base is a nicer watch, including the feeling of the movement when you wind it. It has a true mechanical clicking feel that's as good as a nice sporty stick shift transmission.

If you like the crown on Luminor and the shape of the Radiomir, then a Marina Militari might be a perfect match for you. If you're right handed I would also recommend you buy the left handed MM so the crown guard doesn't dig into your wrist.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

W.
Luminors are rated 300m btw
Old 1 November 2007, 09:28 PM   #11
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thani View Post
thats another thing i love about panerais... u can change over 50 straps lool..

thanks for the pic miner
Why stop at 50

Old 1 November 2007, 09:32 PM   #12
miner
"TRF" Member

The other thing about Panerai is they hold their value really well. I'll easily recover what I paid plus some for the two I have and I've had them for less than a year. I also paid the going price at the time so they were not "bargain of the century" prices.

I don't think I'll get the same return on the Rolex watches so soon after purchase.

Old 1 November 2007, 10:35 PM   #13
Thani
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
The other thing about Panerai is they hold their value really well. I'll easily recover what I paid plus some for the two I have and I've had them for less than a year. I also paid the going price at the time so they were not "bargain of the century" prices.

I don't think I'll get the same return on the Rolex watches so soon after purchase.

thanks for the good info
Old 1 November 2007, 10:39 PM   #14
Thani
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
Can't help you with those two models but would recomend a second look at the PAM 250. Best looking Panerai in my opinion.

altair,, that watch is toooo busy for me
Old 2 November 2007, 01:02 AM   #15
puffnmo

Thani - I like the classic look of the Radiomir, but the lack of a second hand bothers me. For me the Luminor is the one. I can understand someone not liking the crown guard, but it is a trademark feature for Panerai! Best, Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2007, 01:09 AM   #16
puffnmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnmo View Post
Thani - I like the classic look of the Radiomir, but the lack of a second hand bothers me. For me the Luminor is the one. I can understand someone not liking the crown guard, but it is a trademark feature for Panerai! Best, Larry.
OMG, am I losing it or what - I thought the Radiomir looked beautiful, also familiar. So I just went to my watch box, and found that I own that very watch!

And here's the kicker - the lack of a second hand has never bothered me, and never even occurred to me...

I would sure love to have that Luminor though!

It just never ends, does it...
Old 2 November 2007, 06:13 AM   #17
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OMG, am I losing it or what - I thought the Radiomir looked beautiful, also familiar. So I just went to my watch box, and found that I own that very watch!

And here's the kicker - the lack of a second hand has never bothered me, and never even occurred to me...

I would sure love to have that Luminor though!

It just never ends, does it...
How many watches could one possibly own for him to forget what watches he owns!
Old 2 November 2007, 11:07 AM   #18
puffnmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvEr34 View Post
How many watches could one possibly own for him to forget what watches he owns!
Certainly more than three...
Old 2 November 2007, 12:42 PM   #19
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Certainly more than three...
who has three?
Old 2 November 2007, 01:31 PM   #20
puffnmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvEr34 View Post
who has three?
Oh crp., I guess I said a bad wrong thing. I was not pointing a finger or trying to make light of anybody on the board.

Reason I posted that - The owner of my local Chinese reataurant is an avid watch collector. He had Many grail watches and wears a different one every day. On a couple of occasions I asked him how many he had in his collection, and his reply was always "More than three." (He probably has at least 40.)

Sorry if anybody took offense, no harm intended.

Some of the three watch collections I have seen beat the heck out of other much larger ones... All Best, Larry.
Old 2 November 2007, 08:01 PM   #21
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh crp., I guess I said a bad wrong thing. I was not pointing a finger or trying to make light of anybody on the board.

Reason I posted that - The owner of my local Chinese reataurant is an avid watch collector. He had Many grail watches and wears a different one every day. On a couple of occasions I asked him how many he had in his collection, and his reply was always "More than three." (He probably has at least 40.)

Sorry if anybody took offense, no harm intended.

Some of the three watch collections I have seen beat the heck out of other much larger ones... All Best, Larry.
no offense taken, was just trying to make sense out of it. Cheers
Old 2 November 2007, 11:11 PM   #22
JF23
"TRF" Member

Thani, here's my first PAM, the 111. I picked it up in August after changing my mind a few times between the 90 and 104. What sold me was the classic look combined with the Luminor case. The display back only sealed the deal!

JF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2007, 12:41 AM   #23
Thani
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDoc View Post
Thani, here's my first PAM, the 111. I picked it up in August after changing my mind a few times between the 90 and 104. What sold me was the classic look combined with the Luminor case. The display back only sealed the deal!

nice watch !!
thanks for the pics and info !
Old 3 November 2007, 02:31 AM   #24
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Hah...you got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci View Post
Is JRT really the older version of the power reserve? Looks like a dog sleeping to me ;)
And he's even been known to steal a watch on occasion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarioYM-2.jpg (72.9 KB, 63 views)
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote