The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 November 2007, 09:36 PM   #1
imranahmed

Watch: GMT IIc
The reason for Panerai's poularity ?

Judging from the second hand market Panerai is doing very well. Some models command a better price than equivalently (new) priced rolex watches. I find them to be a big man's wrist watch. Then perhaps there are lot of giants out there
imranahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 12:41 AM   #2
kungpow
"TRF" Member

Sylvester Stallone...I love their watches, they seem big when you first look at them, but it's really not that bad. Popularity wise, I'm always told by AD's that it's the hottest selling brand right now (they may sell more Rolex, but there's more buzz over Panerai). Although I still find it somewhat strange that "Rambo" started it all...
kungpow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 01:16 AM   #3
miner
"TRF" Member

Mate, I have stick wrists and I love them. Change the strap and you have a new watch.
And they keep their value much better than Rolex. I have 2 Pams (112 and 164) and both are worth more now than what I paid one year ago. Can't say the same for my two Rollies.

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 01:43 AM   #4
puffnmo

There are many watches out there as big in size than Panerai, and bigger. I believe it is more than a fad.

The design of Panerais is very Italian, very elegant. I too have a smaller wrist, but they are comfortable and look great.

As has just been said, the whole strap culture adds a huge element of interest. If you haven't done it, it is hard to understand how much fun it is to put a new strap on, to have a collection of several different straps. Some of the straps are in themselves works of art, as for example the ammo, and many others. Right now I feel that I have enough watches, but can never have enough straps.

As investments, Both Panerai watches AND their straps are very solid. And, if you are wearing a limited edition with a unique or unusual strap, you know that hardly anybody else has the same combo on their wrist.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 02:02 AM   #5
DC watchman
Banned

It's an old design.

Unaltered as much as the Omega Speedy pro and the Rolex Sub.
So it get's points for that.

Fun watch in the sense that you get to go crazy with the straps if you want. Also; as far as you do not see many of them in your daily travels. When you, odds are that the owners are just as watch crazy as you and happy to engage in brief conversation.

Great watch and I miss mine. I would love to pick up a gently pre-loved base at some point in the future.
DC watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 05:14 AM   #6
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Sylvester Stallone??? Hahaha! Anyone who (Rambo) fires a LAW inside of a helicopter with people six feet behind him does not get my vote!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 06:06 AM   #7
lardog
Banned

Watch: Over 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imranahmed View Post
Judging from the second hand market Panerai is doing very well. Some models command a better price than equivalently (new) priced rolex watches. I find them to be a big man's wrist watch. Then perhaps there are lot of giants out there
i would take a Panerai over a rolex any day.

lardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 06:50 AM   #8
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
What I like most about Panerai is its uniqueness. Such a great looking watch, unlike anything else out there. Their popularity is definitely growing and PAMs are flying off the shelves; however, with limited production numbers you won't see them on every street corner. I like that!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 09:12 AM   #9
DS/B MINI S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD & Exp II
I've been wanting a PAM for a couple of years now. I was able to try one on in June 2006 (PAM 111) and was hooked. I'm currently saving for the 177. If things go according to plan, I'll be ready to buy next fall. Of course, I'll probably want a different model by then
I believe their popularity is due in part to the case design and the fact that most models have good resale values. Another plus is the ability to change the watch by switching straps.
The owners passion for their watches also gets folks interested in the product. Other people see this passion and want to be part of it.
There are numerous PAM models I would LOVE to have. I appreciate the style, form, and function of the brand. I just can't see myself collecting/wearing only one brand of watch. Too many other brands offering great products and service to only try one.

IMHO, life is too short not to get a taste
Old 1 December 2007, 09:28 AM   #10
Scooby

Watch: GMT
It's great to see so many people enjoy their watches. I have tried an Panerais, and they seem nice, but don't feel any extreme pull to try and buy one, especially not at those prices (although the 8 days one is very sweet).

Also, I don't get the whole strap thing. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I can change the strap on any of my watches pretty easily. Why is it that the Pannies have this special "strap culture"? And what makes them any different than any otehr watch when you change the strap?

Finally, I had an AD (for man high end brands, including Panerai, Rolex, JLC, PP, etc...) tell me that there were whispers about a quality problem with newer models due to the recent ramp up in production caused by the demand. I have my doubts about this, but it's something out there.
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 10:01 AM   #11
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Finally, I had an AD (for man high end brands, including Panerai, Rolex, JLC, PP, etc...) tell me that there were whispers about a quality problem with newer models due to the recent ramp up in production caused by the demand. I have my doubts about this, but it's something out there.[/QUOTE]

I heard earlier models had some issues, but they have not "ramped up production"
Still only churning out less than 40,000 units/year

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 10:08 AM   #12
davidwatts
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Datejust
Good post Imran.
If I wasn't a rolex guy I'd go for a pam, and i've a smallish wrist (just over 6.5").
I've seen panerai in shops and they are hard to just walk by.
Old 1 December 2007, 01:17 PM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Good question and you can't really explain it anymore than one can explain why they like a Rolex or a BMW or a Sony or anything.

I am not a history buff, so the historical value of Panerai is interesting to me, but not why I wear them, nor why I wear my 16610. I wear them mostly because I love the way they look and how much more substantial they feel on my wrist compared to other watches. Another reason why I wear Panerai over other brands is because they offer some real uniqueness that most other brands don't offer.

I can wear the submariner and most people assume it costs more than a car. I can wear the Panerai and most people just assume I am blind as a bat and need a big watch to tell the time.

But even more than that, Panerai offers a watch that is simple and classic in design. The screws or new push release system on the straps lets you wear endless combinations on your watches as well. You can go from a gator strap in the morning for a meeting, to a calf strap with jeans for dinner and throw a rubber strap on for the pool or beach.

The Panerai COMMUNITY is one that is like no other, period. I have seen and been apart of chipping in to help buy or replace stolen watches. I have met and made numerous friends, like our own Launch Mini (John) that I consider lifetime friends. I have been a part of get togethers from New York to Dallas to Seattle and place in between.

I have had gifts sent to me for no reason from friends and sent gifts to friends just the same. If you do a google search on "Hammer GTG Paneristi" you will see part of why some choose Panerai. And I talk on the phone almost daily with some Paneristi, some that I consider my closest friends, like family in fact.

I went through a stage when I first found Panerai when I thought it could only be Panerai, I now know that for me there needs to be a mix and Rolex fits that mix perfect.

I actually go back and forth between a DJ (36) a Sub (40) and my 233 (44) and have no problem with the size differences.

Why Panerai for me? Because it fits me and my personality, not for everyone I agree and appreciate, but perfect for me. And for further proof, read the first sentence in my sig line.

Hope this helps at least a little explain, why I like Panerai.

HAGWE.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2007, 06:03 AM   #14
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
There is a combined Rolex/Panerai AD near to me who has a window full of Rolexes but only 5 Panerais in the whole shop. Every time they get a delivery the whole lot disappears.
Cant wait to get one.
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2007, 08:20 AM   #15
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
There is a combined Rolex/Panerai AD near to me who has a window full of Rolexes but only 5 Panerais in the whole shop. Every time they get a delivery the whole lot disappears.
Cant wait to get one.
I would recommend stopping and talking to the AD. They usually get ONE shipment/month, and they leave the AD even quicker.
Let them know you're interested & have them call you when the shipment arrives. That is about the only time you will be able to "kick some tires" so to speak.

Daren summed up the Panerai experience for me very well.

If you happen to see a Panerai in the wild, you will probably have not trouble starting a converstation with the owner. Most likely they will have noticed the one on your wirst too

Member # 293
Old 2 December 2007, 09:08 AM   #16
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
For us guys who know nothing about them what are there movements like compared to, say the cal.3135?
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2007, 10:58 AM   #17
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
For us guys who know nothing about them what are there movements like compared to, say the cal.3135?
In the historic line they use mostly Unitas Manual wind ebauches that they rework and decorate. In a lot of the autos they use reworked Valjoux 7750's. The Rolex is in house while the Panerai are more ubiquitous, but all are still workhorses the same.

Panerai has just in the last couple of years introduced there own line of inhouse movements. These have both manual and auto winds.

My 233 for example is a manual wind with 8 day power reserve (lasts closer to 11 days). It is also a very elaborate movement with not only the PR indicator but also a date window, sub seconds dial and a GMT function that can be hidden behind the hour hand. The circle in the sub seconds dial is a AM/PM indicator.

A cool and fun watch with an in house movement too boot.

Old 2 December 2007, 11:59 AM   #18
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Don't forget, it is buttery smooth to wind that 233 too

Member # 293
Old 2 December 2007, 12:14 PM   #19
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Don't forget, it is buttery smooth to wind that 233 too
Too right my friend, not 190 smooth, but damn silky indeed.