The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 August 2019, 11:38 AM   #1
tahitianmoon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Thoughts on vintage Rolex with service replacement parts

I understand that collectors want all original parts to a watch, but as a daily wearer, what is the downside to genuine Rolex service replacement parts? It seems to me that you could get a "new" vintage piece for a substantial discount. Thoughts?
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:50 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
Moderator & 2019 HARRODS BB Patron

Watch: Grand Seiko
My 5513 with RSC-replaced dial hands and crystal (pressure tested to 200m) is my favourite Rolex that I own. Being a later model it also looks pretty much the same as it would have when new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513 wrist.jpg (192.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 5513.JPG (171.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-12-23 12.15.21 (2).jpg (266.7 KB, 124 views)

instagram.com/oldexpatbeast
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:58 AM   #3
tahitianmoon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
My 5513 with RSC-replaced dial hands and crystal (pressure tested to 200m) is my favourite Rolex that I own. Being a later model it also looks pretty much the same as it would have when new.
Beautiful 5513 That's what I was thinking also. It seems like the chance to go back in time and get the vintage watch you want basically new. Is there any downside mechanically or resale issues to a serviced watch? I'm looking at a 1967 GMT Master 1675 with replaced dial, hands and crystal. As long as the parts are genuine, this wouldn't be frowned on as a Frankenwatch?
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast

Watch: Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitianmoon View Post
Beautiful 5513 That's what I was thinking also. It seems like the chance to go back in time and get the vintage watch you want basically new. Is there any downside mechanically or resale issues to a serviced watch? I'm looking at a 1967 GMT Master 1675 with replaced dial, hands and crystal. As long as the parts are genuine, this wouldn't be frowned on as a Frankenwatch?
Thanks. If it's all Rolex parts added by RSC then it's not Franken, it's just a properly maintained Rolex watch (in Rolex's eyes anyway). As you long as you buy at the right price you probably won't lose. I imagine these RSC-refreshed watches will only get more common and accepted as the years go by anyway, and vintage dials and hands deteriorate more and more.

instagram.com/oldexpatbeast
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:42 PM   #5
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member

Watch: Plastic GMT
The only downside might be if you'll ever grow tired of the Luminova dial and hands, wishing they were tritium. But, if the case and bezel are in good shape, you can source a period-correct dial, hand set and insert later if you want to get it back to the original look.

Is the date disc still original? I'd imagine it would have hooked 7s in the 1967 era. I'd personally only go for it if the date disc were original since they can be one of the more difficult parts to source and help give it part of the vintage charm despite the service dial/hands/insert.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Dan S
2019 DEEPSEA Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitianmoon View Post
If you like it, fine. Just don't overpay, since it is no longer really collectible and the value is decimated by the service parts. Also understand that its value will not keep up with honest vintage pieces. So if you later decide you want to trade up to a legit vintage piece, you're likely to fall further and further behind as time passes.

For a daily wearer, I'd rather buy an honest tritium 14060. They develop nice patina, and actually have a chance of being considered true vintage watches in the future.
Old 24 August 2019, 02:27 PM   #7
Tools

Watch: GMT's
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a properly serviced and cared for vintage watch. This included the appropriate use of service parts.

50 year old watches are not practical with original parts, and never have been.

There is a huge difference between rare, true collector pieces with provenance and accessories, and an easily procured daily use, or nice to have in the watch-box piece.