The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 August 2019, 04:57 AM   #1
jlovda
"TRF" Member
 
jlovda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Real Name: John
Location: Midwest
Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Posts: 953
It seems like a million years ago - 5513

I was going through a stack of old pictures and found this from about 1971-72. Just out of college with my 1970 5513 (meters first) treasure. Paid $130 for it at Chronometrie Beyer in ZŁrich. It is now in Cleveland getting it's second overhaul for $1,100 . The last one was in 1980. I decided to pull it out of the bank safety deposit box and put it in my rotation. I'm getting old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Rolex 1972 small.jpg (184.4 KB, 489 views)
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 05:02 AM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member
 
roh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Real Name: Per
Location: Sweden
Watch: Gilt Rolex
Posts: 2,729
Show us how it survived. We are eager to see.

Nice pic as well.
__________________
Instagram: @perj123
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Romeojk
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Romeojk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Real Name: Kevin
Location: Cape Cod
Watch: Submariner 114060
Posts: 1,358
Your right John, you are old! But probably handsome as ever! Nice reminiscing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 10:07 AM   #4
jlovda
"TRF" Member
 
jlovda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Real Name: John
Location: Midwest
Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
Your right John, you are old! But probably handsome as ever! Nice reminiscing!
Don't rub it in!
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:41 AM   #5
sillo
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
sillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Real Name: Sean
Location: NY
Watch: 5 Digit
Posts: 2,747
looking forward to seeing some more pics!
__________________
14060 | 16570 | 16600 | 16700 | 16800 | 79260

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Michaeli Paulo
2020 Pledge Member
 
Michaeli Paulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: USA
Watch: Rolex Submariner
Posts: 332
Nice photo!

Iím glad that your old Submariner is going to be enjoyed again!!! Especially by itís original owner!

Michael
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2019, 11:12 PM   #7
Mark020
2020 Pledge Member
 
Mark020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 1,830
Still got the mustache (you hipster :-))?
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 12:11 AM   #8
GADNYC
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Real Name: Gerard
Location: New York city
Watch: sub
Posts: 105
For those thinking about it! $130 bucks at 11% a year for 48 years is $20 grand. What a great pic and a lifetime of memories.
GADNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 11:10 AM   #9
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member
 
Styles Bitchley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Watch: 1680
Posts: 980
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 03:27 AM   #10
jlovda
"TRF" Member
 
jlovda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Real Name: John
Location: Midwest
Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Posts: 953
I just got my 5513 (204xxxx) back from Basch's Watch Repair in North Olmsted, OH this morning. It looks and runs beautifully. He didn't do any polishing, just changed the barrel, mainspring, crystal and gaskets as part of the full service. During it's previous service in 1980 by Sutter's in Chicago I think they over polished the lower right lug but that's water over the dam. It's taking some getting used to. Compared to my Exp II, it's lighter and the hands look like look like needles. The bracelet is a 93150 I obtained in 1985. The original riveted bracelet was stretched, I didn't like the looks of it and I wanted a Flip-Lock anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_5513_20190824_2.jpg (164.8 KB, 216 views)
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:29 AM   #11
BigBlue1
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
BigBlue1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Real Name: Webmaster
Location: Space
Watch: it pal !
Posts: 2,357
Looks beautiful. Look at that Fatty Insert. Very nice indeed.

Dude you were rocking that Stash hard back in the day. ��
__________________
" Even I don't wake up looking like Cindy Crawford".
Cindy Crawford

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:35 AM   #12
theflywrist
"TRF" Member
 
theflywrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Stratosphere
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
I just got my 5513 (204xxxx) back from Basch's Watch Repair in North Olmsted, OH this morning. It looks and runs beautifully. He didn't do any polishing, just changed the barrel, mainspring, crystal and gaskets as part of the full service. During it's previous service in 1980 by Sutter's in Chicago I think they over polished the lower right lug but that's water over the dam. It's taking some getting used to. Compared to my Exp II, it's lighter and the hands look like look like needles. The bracelet is a 93150 I obtained in 1985. The original riveted bracelet was stretched, I didn't like the looks of it and I wanted a Flip-Lock anyway.
That is stunning! Oh and I love that insert.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:39 AM   #13
JP.
"TRF" Member
 
JP.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Real Name: Juho
Location: Finland
Watch: Submariner 16610
Posts: 1,088
That is super beautiful.

Enjoy this classic in good health John!
__________________
My Luxury Watch Reviews Blog
JP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:56 AM   #14
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Watch: 16710
Posts: 1,205
Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing.
__________________
16520 / 16710A / 79030B / 2201.50 / 2504.52 / PAM111
Onequik135i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:11 AM   #15
Michaeli Paulo
2020 Pledge Member
 
Michaeli Paulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: USA
Watch: Rolex Submariner
Posts: 332
Not just a watch, but a window back to another time!

Magnificent!
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 01:15 PM   #16
jdmi32
2020 Rolex BLNR Giveaway Pledge Member
 
jdmi32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Real Name: Ky
Location: Bay Area, CA
Watch: 16570
Posts: 2,352
Lovely example. I would imagine that it’s one of your oldest physical possessions. I tried to think of anything I’ve had longer than my Exp II that I purchased back in ‘98 and came up blank.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 03:40 PM   #17
jlovda
"TRF" Member
 
jlovda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Real Name: John
Location: Midwest
Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi32 View Post
Lovely example. I would imagine that it’s one of your oldest physical possessions. I tried to think of anything I’ve had longer than my Exp II that I purchased back in ‘98 and came up blank.
I am a pack rat. I also still own a Zenith Royal 3000 Trans-Oceanic radio I bought in 1963 in high school and a Dual 1019 turntable from 1967. I'm not a watchmaker but like to dig into radios and audio gear. It's ironic that the Zenith cost $200, the Dual $130 and the Rolex also $130 from the same relative time period. They all took a lot of saving and part time work.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 04:29 PM   #18
jdmi32
2020 Rolex BLNR Giveaway Pledge Member
 
jdmi32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Real Name: Ky
Location: Bay Area, CA
Watch: 16570
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
I am a pack rat. I also still own a Zenith Royal 3000 Trans-Oceanic radio I bought in 1963 in high school and a Dual 1019 turntable from 1967. I'm not a watchmaker but like to dig into radios and audio gear. It's ironic that the Zenith cost $200, the Dual $130 and the Rolex also $130 from the same relative time period. They all took a lot of saving and part time work.
I really want to hear that you collected baseball cards in your youth.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.