The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 February 2017, 10:59 PM   #1
pete757
"TRF" Member

Blackout Explorer 1

Hi Guys.

Not many posts on here yet but I am mulling the purchase of an Explorer 1 'Blackout' dial, complete with box and punched papers.

I have done some pretty deep checking, including serial numbers matching, case back off to check movement etc, looking very carefully at the dial etc.

All looks ok... the seller has been very co-operative in providing me with any info I have asked for. But this will be a big purchase decision! So I want to get it right of course! Have a look at this screen shot...

[/url]image sharing sites[/IMG]

Image of what I believe to be a 'genuine' one from a post on the RPM, versus an image of the one I am interested in! The watch I am looking at is on the right.

The only thing I query is the 'seconds hand' lollipop looks a bit closer to the hour markers than some others I have seen. Yet other on Google images have the same distance! There seems to be a correlation between the 'Silver' writing versions having a longer 'seconds hand' than the 'White' writing version. The 'Silver' writing appears a bit more 'broken' but I gather this can be because of the 'metallic' look of the paint...

Should this ring any alarm bells?

I would be most interested in comments, or any other suggestions to make sure it's all good!

Cheers guys! Pete.
pete757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 11:59 PM   #2
pete757
"TRF" Member

Anyone??!
Old 22 February 2017, 02:36 PM   #3
pete757
"TRF" Member

Is it worth it??...

I am looking at two Explorer 1's...

One 'normal' and one a rarer 'Blackout Dial'

Both 1991, excellent and comparable condition, both all original... as far as I can tell!

The 'Blackout Dial' is nearly twice the price of the 'normal' one.

I love the look of both so would be very happy to own either. I do have an awareness of future 'investment' value, but this is not the driver here.

So, is the 'Blackout Dial' version worth the premium?

Thoughts and opinions most welcome please!

Cheers,

Peter.

(not sure if I have duplicated the post... sorry!)
Old 22 February 2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I have no idea what a blackout Explorer dial is. Sounds like an aftermarket modification.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 03:06 PM   #5
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Let's keep one thread per topic please....

As for your question, looks to be the same dial, just with minor font changes!?
Neither one is worth more than the other, so buy the best conditioned one for the money.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 01:49 PM   #6
kennethcooke
"TRF" Member

Explorer 1 Blackout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete757 View Post
Hi Guys.

Not many posts on here yet but I am mulling the purchase of an Explorer 1 'Blackout' dial, complete with box and punched papers.

I have done some pretty deep checking, including serial numbers matching, case back off to check movement etc, looking very carefully at the dial etc.

All looks ok... the seller has been very co-operative in providing me with any info I have asked for. But this will be a big purchase decision! So I want to get it right of course! Have a look at this screen shot...

[/url]image sharing sites[/IMG]

Image of what I believe to be a 'genuine' one from a post on the RPM, versus an image of the one I am interested in! The watch I am looking at is on the right.

The only thing I query is the 'seconds hand' lollipop looks a bit closer to the hour markers than some others I have seen. Yet other on Google images have the same distance! There seems to be a correlation between the 'Silver' writing versions having a longer 'seconds hand' than the 'White' writing version. The 'Silver' writing appears a bit more 'broken' but I gather this can be because of the 'metallic' look of the paint...

Should this ring any alarm bells?

I would be most interested in comments, or any other suggestions to make sure it's all good!

Cheers guys! Pete.
I've had a Blackout Explorer 1, from memory they look fine, they tend to look a little more sober than a standard Explorer 1, which has been my tool watch of choice until they decided to feed it on steroids. In the long term I might get another Plexiglass Explorer 1 before the price gets too silly
kennethcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 05:04 PM   #7
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@pete757
The first batch Ref. 14270 (E serial) definitely commands a premium. The blacked out 3-6-9 sets it apart and makes it rare. As the years go on the value of a "blackout" 14270 will rise at greater rate compared to later model 14270's as well as Ref. 114270 and 214270. I've never seen one with silver metallic paint, in person, like the one you've posted, so I can't comment on that aspect. I do see what appears to be some cracking/separation in the minute hand.
Is the seller's name on the papers (is he the original owner)? Serial number is key, what is it? I would want to thoroughly analyze the dial with a loupe as it seems "off" to me. Are you able to see the watch in hand, or have you only been given this single image-file?
_________
Instagram: @onthedial
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 04:21 AM   #8
demonloop
"TRF" Member

The silver print dial came first, and is rarer than the white text dials which came next. The whole run of silver and white dialled Blackouts is quite short I believe.

I have a silver print dial, so you if you need any specific photos send me a PM and I can email some across.
demonloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 04:22 AM   #9
demonloop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I have no idea what a blackout Explorer dial is. Sounds like an aftermarket modification.
No, it's certainly factory.
Old 26 February 2017, 03:00 PM   #10
pete757
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
The silver print dial came first, and is rarer than the white text dials which came next. The whole run of silver and white dialled Blackouts is quite short I believe.

I have a silver print dial, so you if you need any specific photos send me a PM and I can email some across.
Many thanks.

PM sent :>)
Old 27 February 2017, 01:45 AM   #11
Xeer
"TRF" Member

I am the owner of one of these rare beasts.

If it helps.. this is my E serial.
Xeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 06:18 AM   #12
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@demonloop
I've seen the early Ref. 14270 with flat silver print/text, but not one wherein the paint has a pronounced metallic appearance. Very unique. I'd love to know the actual production numbers on this specific rarity.
Is yours "flat" or "metallic" silver?
_____
Instagram: @onthedial
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 05:30 PM   #13
Xeer
"TRF" Member

To be honest, I am having a hard time telling the difference. @demonloop @onthedial ; can anyone tell me what print/text is on mine?
Old 27 February 2017, 10:38 PM   #14
Xeer
"TRF" Member

Here is an Explorer ad.

Specifically for the Blackout.
Old 28 February 2017, 12:03 AM   #15
demonloop
"TRF" Member

Attached are some photos of my E serial - the silver print seems pronounced from the dial I think, you can enlarge the photo on the link

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...psglyetlxo.jpg
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...pssrlz1njb.jpg
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...psjscw4gjq.jpg