The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Gallery

Old 20 June 2005, 06:56 AM   #1
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Since I dont see many non-sport watch threads....

Here are some pics of the Asian favourite, the TT DJ is not very popular in North America (compared to the sports models these days) but in Asian it is the best selling. Some ppl I have talked to at Rolex Canada have said that they believe the TT DJ is the best selling Rolex in the world simply due to the Asian market (second comes the Euro market and 3rd would be North America for TT models in general) this is of course not official numbers, but they would know better than the general public.

Well here are some pics (I am still practicing on my picture taking so please excuse the lack of skills )

RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2005, 06:59 AM   #2
RogerF
"TRF" Member

I guess I should say that the TT DJ is not that popular amongst WIS and collectors, but I know we only make up a small portion of the Rolex buying market, but it's all good as long as others keep buying and we keep collecting. Why ppl do the things they do dont always need justification.... *says the guy who has more watches than socks*
Old 20 June 2005, 07:19 AM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Roger, that is a great looking watch, I bought a very similar one last year for my Father. I love the look it just takes class to wear it and I have none, LOL!!
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2005, 08:08 AM   #4
alpet

Watch: me carefully
A true classic Roger.I love it........although.....I wouldnt mind taking that box behide the Datejust off your hands!!
alpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2005, 12:10 PM   #5
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
A very nice watch Roger and there's not much wrong with your photography.
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2005, 03:41 PM   #6
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Thanks this watch is my special one. The one that started it all, and the one that was given to me by my mom.

There is a story behind that watch, one which I get flamed for but I figure you guys here are a little more mature and see the greatness in it.

My dad has a TT DJ which he got 1980 as a mark of accomplishment, my parents families were very poor back in the day. As a kid I stared at that watch all the time and wanted one since I was about 8 or 9. Now knowing what we all know that prices only increase, my mom bought a brand new E serial 16233 (the one pictured) for me in 1990 (when I was only 12) she put it in a safety deposit box until I was ready for it. It did get to come out every now and then when I went out with my family for special events or when we had a xmas party or new years party at home.

Now a lot of you guys are thinking what kind of crazy woman buys her 12 year old son a Rolex, well think about how crazy some of us here are about watches. My mom is a watch nut as well, she is the one that got me into watches (as you can see at a very young age) Her collection is rather extensive and dare I say Bling Bling as she favours the likes of Chopard and Breguet. Growing up she would take me to anitque sales and always show me the Christies and Sotheby's catalogs. She is also into antique jewellery and of course big rocks LOL

By the time I was 14 I knew what a VS1 solitaire was hahahaha

So it may be weird to many out there but my mom and I can bond with the hobby we share, something I dont see very often with ppl my age and their parents. Obviously I am not saying that ppl should start a watch collection to bond with their parents but its a beautiful thing to share a hobby.
Old 20 June 2005, 04:50 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good camera work, Roger.

And you're right about the TT DJ still being Rolex's largest selling watch because of the Asian market.

When I visited Hong Kong on several occasions in the '90s, I could see TT DJs in normal (36 mm) as well as mid-size on almost every other person. It would outrun sales of the sports range by a long mile. The Asians have small wrists and would find the 40 mm sports Rollies way too big.

My Ommie 45.5 mm they could wear around their necks!!

Cheers - JJ
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2005, 07:46 PM   #8
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Very nice watch Roger, I also like the winder in the background as it looks just like mine! Love your story on how you came by your first Rolex so cool. Asian wrist size; yeah I know what your talking about there, I've a vintage 1947 6551 mid-size which when I bought it was told it was a Asian favorite. Now I'm getting ready to put it back on the market but, still want a vintage model so that I may pass it down to 1 of 2 current grand children for their 18th birthday. Just think a 75+ year old watch in perfect working condiction as a gift on your 18th b-day!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2005, 11:14 AM   #9
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Can anybody guess the 4 watches on the winder?
Old 21 June 2005, 11:46 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

SD, GMT, SMP and I have no clue, Oris?? That is my try, I could go look it up but I am too lazy!!
Old 21 June 2005, 12:02 PM   #11
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
SD, GMT, SMP and I have no clue, Oris?? That is my try, I could go look it up but I am too lazy!!

The last one next to the SMP is a BM
Old 21 June 2005, 12:35 PM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Which one, the Capeland?
Old 21 June 2005, 01:53 PM   #13
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which one, the Capeland?

LOL Sorry I always refer to the Black Monster as the BM, but I guess I should know better since the Orange PO is called the Orange Monster around these here parts....

Old 21 June 2005, 01:59 PM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Dude, don't apologize to me, let me apologize to you. The BM is an icon and I had my head up a place that is stinky and hard to see light.

I really would love to get off my lazy butt and get one of those one day soon, Seiko makes some killer watches that are tanks and don't cost a small bounty.
Old 21 June 2005, 02:19 PM   #15
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I really would love to get off my lazy butt and get one of those one day soon, Seiko makes some killer watches that are tanks and don't cost a small bounty.

Just dont be like me, buy a sub $150 watch as a "beater" then realise its much too nice to be a beater

Disclaimer: I use the term beater rather loosely since it has so many meanings. In some cultures beater is used to describe something that can be used to perform dirty work where one would not want to expose a more precious watch. In other cultures its used to describe a spouse who punishes his/her partner for not performing the "dirty" deed...err I mean dirty work. Honest!
Old 21 June 2005, 02:39 PM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

I have a rule that I try to treat my arm and my watches the same. I don't bash my arm for no good reason on purpose, why the hell should I bash my watches too.
Old 21 June 2005, 10:32 PM   #17
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Roger what are the 3 sitting in front of the winders...?
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2005, 12:20 AM   #18
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Roger, first of all, that's a beautiful watch. Second, don't ever apologize for that story. It's a great one. It shows your mom has a lot of class and she has apparently taught you well. Third, not everyone disdains TTs. Here are my two. I really like them, even though they don't get much wrist time, what with my love of my black GMT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJs.jpg (38.7 KB, 162 views)

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2005, 02:45 AM   #19
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Roger, first of all, that's a beautiful watch. Second, don't ever apologize for that story. It's a great one. It shows your mom has a lot of class and she has apparently taught you well. Third, not everyone disdains TTs. Here are my two. I really like them, even though they don't get much wrist time, what with my love of my black GMT.

Very nice, the one to the left with the printed Romans is gorgeous. One day my dad will give his (same as yours except on bracelet) to my son (when I have kids that is) it has been with him for the last 25 years and still looks great.
Old 22 June 2005, 10:34 AM   #20
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
Very nice, the one to the left with the printed Romans is gorgeous. One day my dad will give his (same as yours except on bracelet) to my son (when I have kids that is) it has been with him for the last 25 years and still looks great.
That one was my very first Rolex. It's a 1983 model and still has the original leather strap with Rolex crown on the buckle.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote