The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2017, 09:19 PM   #1
Dirty Tool
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster Moonwatch Pro vs. 1st Omega in Space

Hi guys - I'm looking to add a Speedmaster to my collection and my favourite was the Speedmaster Moonwatch Pro with the hesalite glass. I love the history behind the watch and would want one as true to the original as possible.

However I have recently come across the Speedmaster 1st Omega in Space edition (can't keep up with number of special/numbered editions of speedmaster). I like the look of the smaller face (39mm vs 42mm), the exposed lugs and the Alpha hands. This watch also has a great history and a tribute to the original, just as the Moonwatch is.

They are a nearly the same RRP price, but you get more for your money with the Moonwatch - steel bracelet, spare NATO straps and other goodies in the box. Also has a nicer box but the 1st Omega in Space is a numbered edition.

Any opinions out there as to which one is more preferred? Thanks.

Thanks!
Dirty Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:26 AM   #2
jmsrolls
Banned

Over the years, I've owned a couple of dozen Speedy Pros; modern, vintage, hesalite, sapphire, limited and numbered editions.

When the FOIS was introduced at Basel2012, I immediately placed my order and have no regrets. I've always preferred the hesalite crystal but the sapphire of the FOIS is not objectionable. My dealer says the dial has something to do with that.

I wear mine on an OEM ref. 1125 bracelet with 560 end pieces for a vintage look:

jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:44 AM   #3
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
OP - sounds like you prefer the FOIS over the Moonwatch. No reason to not prefer that over the Moonwatch - go with your gut!
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 03:56 AM   #4
Dirty Tool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post

That looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgrwl View Post
OP - sounds like you prefer the FOIS over the Moonwatch. No reason to not prefer that over the Moonwatch - go with your gut!
Thats why I am a bit confused because for years my gut as always been saying the Moonwatch but until recently when I saw the FOIS I find myself fighting my gut instinct.
Old 8 February 2017, 10:17 AM   #5
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Tool View Post
Hi guys - I'm looking to add a Speedmaster to my collection and my favourite was the Speedmaster Moonwatch Pro with the hesalite glass. I love the history behind the watch and would want one as true to the original as possible.

However I have recently come across the Speedmaster 1st Omega in Space edition (can't keep up with number of special/numbered editions of speedmaster). I like the look of the smaller face (39mm vs 42mm), the exposed lugs and the Alpha hands. This watch also has a great history and a tribute to the original, just as the Moonwatch is.

They are a nearly the same RRP price, but you get more for your money with the Moonwatch - steel bracelet, spare NATO straps and other goodies in the box. Also has a nicer box but the 1st Omega in Space is a numbered edition.

Any opinions out there as to which one is more preferred? Thanks.

Thanks!
It's personal taste and I find pleasure in both. They have their own part in the history of the "Moonwatch." Sounds like your heart lies with the FOIS and I would stick with that. Gorgeous watch, wearing mine these couple days:

sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 12:28 PM   #6
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Both are great. I recently got a Pro with hesalite. Have worn on the bracelet, nato, and third party leather straps - looks great on all. Lume is good, too (I'm not sure about the FOIS). I was a little worried about the Pro being too large, but it wears the same as a SubC.
HobokenRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 01:09 PM   #7
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Those are my two favorite omegas...can't go wrong with either one. I suggest you try both on and go with your gut
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 04:24 AM   #8
phu
"TRF" Member

I have been on the same boat for a very long time and I finally decided to get the FOIS. In fact, it just arrived today!
phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 10:54 AM   #9
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
FOIS for me. I just like the size better. Not so much sold on the "numbered edition" as who knows how many numbers they will go thru.

I do wish it was hesalite but the sapphire is fine and the dial is a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 11:28 AM   #10
speedmaster73
Banned

Theres only one speedmaster professional. just one.

#hesalite

everything else is just noise
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 01:00 PM   #11
richamby
"TRF" Member

I'd purchase the FOIS because you can always get a Pro.

There are a limited number of FOIS watches and so the opportunity to purchase new is fleeting.

A Pro can be purchased new long after the FOIS watches are gone.

The FOIS is a beautiful watch, the dial is awesome and the size perfect.

I was in your position a week ago and a new unworn FOIS was available at a good price.

Done.
richamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 08:32 PM   #12
Dirty Tool
"TRF" Member

Thans everyone for your advice and feedback. I think presently I am leaning towards the FOIS but I haven't tried either of the watches on. I will be passing through a few airports next week, hopefully will have a chance to try some one and hopefully pick one up
Old 11 February 2017, 08:51 PM   #13
artschool
"TRF" Member

i had the same dilemma last year.

FOIS has cooler hands and i liked the leather strap.

speedy pro has original hesalite and is 20mm so i can get multiple straps and natos easily.

i bought the speedy pro and then got a dark brown strap with omega deployant clasp.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote