The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 February 2017, 07:52 AM   #1
Amason
"TRF" Member

Quick question about quartz

Hello,

I have a friend who wants to buy a quartz omega seamaster but I'm not sure it's a good deal (he's being charged $2k supposedly with the warranty). I'm also concerned that he may have been tricked as the watch looks a little off to me. Can anyone take a look and tell me if there are any red flags or if my suspicions are warranted (not considering the "warranty" as a sign of authenticity)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9274.JPG (137.3 KB, 146 views)
Amason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 07:54 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

The links in between the very thin links should be brushed, not polished. This would bug the hell out of me, also 2k is too much for that watch.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2017, 11:40 AM   #3
JacksonStone
Banned

Agree with SearChart: that bracelet is either fake, or has been modified. If it's modded, it's a crap job. As for the case, hard to say. Nothing is jumping out to me as obviously fake, but it's one picture with poor lighting. It would help to have other pics from multiple angles, with better lighting.

You're right that the warranty is not a sign of authenticity. For one, at this point, the original factory warranty no longer applies. Any actual warranty would be from the seller, which is no indication of authenticity. On a watch of that age, the original factory warranty card only helps to establish provenance. The problem is, that's a blank card that can easily be bought on the Internet. For that matter, I'm not sure if Omega ever made a card that looked like that. Their cards have changed over the years, so it's possible that's an older one I'm not familiar with. That doesn't really matter, though, since there is nothing tying that card to the watch - no serial number, no jeweler, no date of sale, no watermark or stamp. In other words, it does nothing to establish provenance or confirm authenticity.

Personally, I'd pass.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 05:47 AM   #4
Amason
"TRF" Member

Fantastic answers thank you guys!!!
Amason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 07:48 AM   #5
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
As mentioned, $2000 is way too much for that watch. Tell your friend to keep looking.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 09:10 AM   #6
jwkunkle
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Next One
Not a good deal or a good watch.
jwkunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 02:20 AM   #7
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I just sold my last Omega, a Seamaster quartz. The font on the bezel was different, and as mentioned, those polished links are wrong. Of course, they change stuff year-to-year, so who knows? But yeah, it's way too expensive even if it is real.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote