The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 February 2017, 02:30 AM   #1
ElGancho
"TRF" Member

Watch Maintenance type question

Hi all, so I have a question for you all that have multiple watches and am curious to hear opinions. Mainly do you all stick to factory recommended service intervals or wait till your watches start keeping bad time to send them in?

I have 3 watches now, and am looking to pick up a 4th. However, I plan to primarily wear two. My current daily wear is a 14060 and it keeps fantastic time, and I plan to keep up with the service on this one. However, I am looking to pick up a sinn 103 as a work watch which will get pretty beat up, I have a feeling, due to my profession. This watch will also get regularly serviced.

My other two are the ones I am concerned about. One is a birth year 5500 ak on a jubilee which is mainly just for special occasions and then my last one is a mkII speedy racing dial, this is mainly a Tuesday and weekend watch. The speedy will be coming back with a fresh service from Nesbit's so I shouldn't have to worry about it too much for awhile.

Basically the question is how long of service intervals can I keep on these less worn watches, and is it worth keeping factory recommended service intervals on the regularly worn ones or OK to run them longer.
ElGancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 03:54 AM   #2
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Two factors you need to consider besides keeping time is that the wear of the movement will get worse if you wait to long between services and that the gaskets dries out after some years and might compromise water tightness.

I do not know how often would be enough, my 1680 from -78 has been serviced once in -11, it still kept excellent time and was waterproof. My brother used it for diving for most of all of the years... When I bought it from him I got it serviced because I wanted fresh gaskets. After 33 years it is definitely gambling getting it wet. I will probably service it again latest -21 for the same reason.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote