The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 February 2017, 12:24 PM   #1
msimm30
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko
Patek 5296R (Non-Sector) vs ALS 1815 Manual Wind

Hi all,

I will be graduating university in several months and am seeking advice regarding which watch I should choose as a graduation gift (in combination with saved money). The idea is to have a nice dress watch that will be suitable for formal dress and business occasions.

I have narrowed down my choices between the 5296R Calatrava and the Lange 1815 Manual Wind (in rose gold) but am having a tough time deciding which watch will be the one; I love the arabic numerals and pocket watch look of the Lange but the Patek is classically understated and pedigreed.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg

The Patek could be acquired from a local AD for $22K but something about the Lange's case keeps bringing me back to it. The lack of Lange at my local AD would cause a need to go to a new AD to try and negotiate an already expensive watch from a scratch.

What is the deal with Lange AD/Boutiques (possibly Wempe NYC) and negotiating prices? What is the maximum discount one can usually expect for Lange watches? I am also drawn to the new Saxonia Moonphase, but that would be a bit too expensive; I am interested to see how much the dealer can be worked down--maybe this watch is somewhat within reach.

unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed-4.jpg

What watch would you personally choose, and why? Any other suggestions within the price range are also much appreciated, thanks!
msimm30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 12:47 PM   #2
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Had the 5296 in WG. Loved it. But at the end of the day I am not a dress watch guy. Especially in the humid swamp that is DC from June through Sept. So, I let it go...

The Calatrava a beautiful watch and exemplifies everything we love about Patek, timelessness, classical design. The CA 324 is a great engine, accurate and durable enough for everyday wear. The price is right on the 5296 based on what they are offering. I say go for it.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 01:13 PM   #3
cervantes
"TRF" Member

The saxonia moon phase is less dressy with the complication and size. I'd stick with your first two. Both are wonderful, the 1815 a bit more casual with the painted arabic numerals.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 01:19 PM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Of the two I'd go 5396r. However, I like the Lange up down the best of all, you might consider that one
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Credor911
Banned

I would go with the calatrava in this case. The price is right and it is a great watch.
Credor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 02:16 PM   #6
PattyAP
"TRF" Member

Go Calatrava. Youll take less of a hit financially also if you decide to part ways with it later down the track.
PattyAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 11:41 PM   #7
Locke88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimm30 View Post

...I have narrowed down my choices between the 5296R Calatrava and the Lange 1815 Manual Wind (in rose gold) but am having a tough time deciding which watch will be the one; I love the arabic numerals and pocket watch look of the Lange but the Patek is classically understated and pedigreed.

...What watch would you personally choose, and why? Any other suggestions within the price range are also much appreciated, thanks!
I have both an 1815 and the 5296 (albeit the sector dial version). I like both, but I'd plump for the Lange, because
- the 1815's dial is visually more attractive; the non-sector 5296 dial plays it a bit safe and is more boring IMO
- the 1815's movt is way more attractive than the Patek's 324SC
- the 1815 is more versatile (it can be worn with smart casual)
- I like the 1815's blued hands.

Lange for me for sure.
Locke88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:36 AM   #8
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Patek
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 12:42 AM   #9
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

calatrava for me
Old 14 February 2017, 01:21 AM   #10
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Calatrava for me. While the Calatrava is conservative, it also is refined, warm, and timeless. The Lange looks a little too sterile for me.
Old 14 February 2017, 01:33 AM   #11
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Calatrava for me. While the Calatrava is conservative, it also is refined, warm, and timeless. The Lange looks a little too sterile for me.
I agree. The Lange 1815 looks a bit sterile. I would also consider a Lange1 which is in your price range if bought pre-owned.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 02:00 AM   #12
77T
2024 Pledge Member

My reason below is based on the business side of use. The PP is properly understated if your business pursuits value a sober and conservative bearing. For that reason, I'd start there and if you are successful, you can afford the AL&S as a "one-year in biz" anniversary gift...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:51 AM   #13
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Neither stuck with me. Id go for Pp sector dial for a little more jazz
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:07 AM   #14
GMT13
"TRF" Member

Wait to see if Patek drops a new Calatrava iteration at Basel before you make the decision.

Also, since you didn't specify what your approx age is and field of study / work goals are, becareful of your selection. If I was a hiring manager and some 22 yr old kid walked in with a Patek, surely I would ask him on the basis did he work for it or did his parents buy it for him? Cause I might want the 22 yr old kid with a steel Rolex or a G-shock as his or her only watch.
GMT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 10:31 AM   #15
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT13 View Post
Wait to see if Patek drops a new Calatrava iteration at Basel before you make the decision.

Also, since you didn't specify what your approx age is and field of study / work goals are, becareful of your selection. If I was a hiring manager and some 22 yr old kid walked in with a Patek, surely I would ask him on the basis did he work for it or did his parents buy it for him? Cause I might want the 22 yr old kid with a steel Rolex or a G-shock as his or her only watch.
Some very insightful comments.

The topic of "Can I wear a watch or drive a car that is more expensive than what my boss wears or drives" comes up frequently in the main Rolex section. However I have rarely encountered this topic in the Patek section.

I want to congratulate OP on his many years of hard work in graduating from university. If you feel this is a special milestone in your life and want to celebrate it by purchasing a Patek or a Lange, I would say go for it.

Both the Patek 5296 and the Lange 1815 can be purchased at a discount on the secondary market. However if you want to purchase it from an AD, I would recommend shopping around to find the best price. For example, call a few out of state ADs and ask for availability. These watches often sit around at ADs for a while and you may find a salesperson willing to offer you a great price.

Although I would normally recommend a Patek Calatrava, I can definitely see a recent college grad wearing a Lange 1815.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 10:58 AM   #16
msimm30
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko
Thanks for the helpful comments all; this definitely is helping me weigh my decision!

As to GMT13's thoughts, I would be going into law so that problem would not arise until internships or job interviews years down the line. I don't believe I would avoid owning it either because of a couple things; namely since it would be a graduation gift commemorating my completion of a rather difficult school, a sentimental object from my parents, and something that I will have partially worked for. I certainly wouldn't wear the watch to any job interview and would never imagine bringing attention to it within any workplace--I simply love the unparalleled engineering and aesthetic that these watches bring and would like to wear (and appreciate) them whenever possible or socially acceptable.

Once again, thank you all! Every piece of advice is much appreciated!
msimm30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 01:01 PM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Prefer no date ALS.

Dress watch makes more sense to me without a date.
Old 14 February 2017, 01:23 PM   #18
statsman
"TRF" Member

I have neither and like you, see the attraction of both. Question- if the Patel had similar Arabic numbers, would there be a question?

Have you seen each in motion, wound up? Because you're going to spend a lot of time looking at it. Which is more pleasing aesthetically to you- the PP center seconds motion of Lange sub-seconds?
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 02:28 PM   #19
Pangit
"TRF" Member

The Lange looks beautiful but I am biased as I have the 5296 WG. I wear it with a suit on a daily basis and it is very understated. I work in an environment where Rolex and AP are very common.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 11:38 PM   #20
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Lange are not flying off the shelves. I know you could get a decent discount for one in Las Vegas, the watch shop at Palazzo is worth calling.

As for which I'd pick that's a tough one. One thing to consider is whether you'll eventually want the 1815 chrono. The Calatrava is one you can keep forever and there are enough styles of Calatrava that you can't go wrong even if you want to expand your collection later. I'm not sure if I'd want more than one 1815.

Edit: One more tip to consider is the FP Journe Chronometre Bleu. If I was going to have only one simple watch that's what I'd get (in that price category).
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 08:49 AM   #21
BadgerHawk
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'd go for the Lange. More versatile and able to be dressed down
BadgerHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 09:18 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I prefer the Lange and a Lange 1 if possible, the Patek is a bit too OG for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 09:21 AM   #23
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Between the 2 I would go 1815 as I find it more versatile as some others have said. I also think the 3/4 german silver plate is visually appealing for a watch with a simple movement.

I also agree with the above the CB should be considered as well as although not a true dress watch, it's an amazing time only piece that could work in formal environments as well.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 02:06 PM   #24
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
I'd go Lange 1815.

The 3 hand 1815 has an unmatched old world, classic styling that I just love mainly due to the aribic numers, the chosen font, and the chapter ring. All extreme classic pocket watch style.

Just my taste, no right or wrong.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 02:59 PM   #25
pablo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5711/1A
I'd go PP but that Lange is wonderful too! I'd probably add it later and enjoy both. Wouldn't hurt to go trusted seller route as I just picked up the sector dial at a phenomenal price.

pablo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 04:31 PM   #26
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

As a graduation gift it will be a keeper I assume, so I would recommend the Calatrava. Do try the 5196 ref also. IMHO the 1815 is as its best as the AB/AUF model.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote