The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Islatate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5980/1R-001
5524g

I am contemplating acquiring a Patek 5524g in the very near future. Would love to hear from current and former owners of this reference.

If you did own the 5524g and parted ways with it, was there a particular reason? Unfortunately the local AD is sold out of this model so I am not able to try it on. I am less concerned about the 42mm size as I am about the 2 Travel Time pushers on the left side of the case digging into the wrist. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thank you in advance for your input.
AP 25940ok
Rolex 116520
Islatate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 09:34 AM   #2
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islatate View Post
I am contemplating acquiring a Patek 5524g in the very near future. Would love to hear from current and former owners of this reference.

If you did own the 5524g and parted ways with it, was there a particular reason? Unfortunately the local AD is sold out of this model so I am not able to try it on. I am less concerned about the 42mm size as I am about the 2 Travel Time pushers on the left side of the case digging into the wrist. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Paging KarlS...
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 10:18 AM   #3
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I had the 5524G released it and just added it back last week.

It's been on my wrist since. It is a lovely size and somewhat dressy for my attire. The pushers do not dig at all.

I highly recommend it.

JPS
Old 22 February 2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Islatate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
I had the 5524G released it and just added it back last week.

It's been on my wrist since. It is a lovely size and somewhat dressy for my attire. The pushers do not dig at all.

I highly recommend it.

JPS

Thank you for the recommendation John. Glad to hear the pushers aren't an issue at all.
AP 25940ok
Rolex 116520
Old 22 February 2017, 11:34 AM   #5
Socal to az
Banned

I'm waiting for an allocation. Have been told end of the year.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 02:11 PM   #6
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Paging KarlS...
ha ha thanks.....well I guess firstly do a quick search and you will find my views from February last year.

The pushers arent a problem. What is a problem is that aesthetically they could have been marginally shorter so that there was some symetry around the crown and pushers. The other thing to look out for(if you not concentrating) is that they have a locking mechanism. If you dont wind it locked then it does have a propensity to change the time which has happened to me a few times.

I am not a 42 mm fan and much happier in the 40 mm range. However this watch is firmly in my collection. Its comfortable to wear, it has significant weight due to its size and of course the gold infull for the smaller movement. Has great lume, none of this pissy - "I can just make it out" lume. There are some lume shots on my instagram account.

Yes it does look like an IWC / Montblanc / Zenith but then some Ferraris look like corvettes....I dont mind the smaller movement versus case although the purist would argue its a no no...would rather have a proven movement than an experiment!!

If I remember correctly its cheaper than a 5164R which is the same complication....so I think is better value...but then each to their own...

TS did say he wanted 50% to hate it and 50% to love it.....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 01:57 AM   #7
Islatate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
ha ha thanks.....well I guess firstly do a quick search and you will find my views from February last year.

The pushers arent a problem. What is a problem is that aesthetically they could have been marginally shorter so that there was some symetry around the crown and pushers. The other thing to look out for(if you not concentrating) is that they have a locking mechanism. If you dont wind it locked then it does have a propensity to change the time which has happened to me a few times.

I am not a 42 mm fan and much happier in the 40 mm range. However this watch is firmly in my collection. Its comfortable to wear, it has significant weight due to its size and of course the gold infull for the smaller movement. Has great lume, none of this pissy - "I can just make it out" lume. There are some lume shots on my instagram account.

Yes it does look like an IWC / Montblanc / Zenith but then some Ferraris look like corvettes....I dont mind the smaller movement versus case although the purist would argue its a no no...would rather have a proven movement than an experiment!!

If I remember correctly its cheaper than a 5164R which is the same complication....so I think is better value...but then each to their own...

TS did say he wanted 50% to hate it and 50% to love it.....

Thank you Karl for your very thorough assessment of the 5524g. I am sold on the fact that you plan to keep this reference in your permanent collection. I am excited to acquire this model - I do prefer to wear sporty watches so the 5524g is right up my alley.

Thanks again Karl.
AP 25940ok
Rolex 116520
Old 23 February 2017, 03:34 AM   #8
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Its a LARGE 42mm IMHO. My father has one and I stole it for a week. It's a fantastic style though and very unique for patek. One issue seems to be the pushers, while they don't dig, seem to become unlocked and then easy to press against your arm and change the one time zone. Happens quite often to my father as well. However, it's really cool and if you have a collection, I'd DEFINITELY say to add it.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 03:48 AM   #9
Islatate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Its a LARGE 42mm IMHO. My father has one and I stole it for a week. It's a fantastic style though and very unique for patek. One issue seems to be the pushers, while they don't dig, seem to become unlocked and then easy to press against your arm and change the one time zone. Happens quite often to my father as well. However, it's really cool and if you have a collection, I'd DEFINITELY say to add it.
Thanks very much for your input. I am excited to acquire one. I have a well known dealer on trf on the hunt on my behalf. Thanks again.
AP 25940ok
Rolex 116520
Old 23 February 2017, 02:07 PM   #10
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islatate View Post
Thanks very much for your input. I am excited to acquire one. I have a well known dealer on trf on the hunt on my behalf. Thanks again.
ha ha probably the same guy who contacted me and asked if I wanted t sell this week..
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 06:36 AM   #11
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I think the whole issue with this reference is the perception that we have about how a Patek watch should look. And certainly this reference looks like an IWC of some sort, no question. But what is important is not what perception the population has for the watch; is the fact that you love the watch what it really counts. So my man If you love it, go for it and enjoy bro.\ let the rest think whatever they want to think (I phrased nicely, you know )
cheers

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote