The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 July 2021, 03:42 AM   #31
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Bought mine relatively recently and love it. It's a 2019, the year of discontinuation and also my second kids birth year. I also have a sd4k from 2017 (also discontinuation year, and first kid's birth year) so I guess those two will be the last watches I ever sold if needs must. I was worried they would be too similar but they are definitely not to me :)

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 26 July 2021, 03:52 AM   #32
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Was under study to the Subs and ugly step sister to the Cinderellas ( Pepsi and side kick Batman/woman/it) and then it was discontinued and it launched like Saturn V ....

Its an original ...maxi/ceramic/bracelet ,just like the original DSSD .(116660 carries more weight than the 126660 in my collection)
One of those significant originals that NEEDs to be in any collection of note .

I don't own one ...yet .

I think its a great reference .I should have gone for it when it was readily available . Such is the wisdom of hindsight .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 06:26 AM   #33
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I haven’t worn mine for a long long time. I’m using a second time zone a lot more frequently at the moment and while I love the sky dweller it’s a bit more prone to knocks with the bezel I’m considering bringing this one back out as a daily thanks to this thread :)

Was maybe the 4th Rolex I ever bought and my original reason where the sub was too boring and I preferred how this looked.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:23 PM   #34
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Rolex GMT-Master II Reference 116710LN Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
It's nice to behold but I think it's overrated. Didn't miss its functionality while I had my LN.

Well, at least for one that is really checking the day or night difference significantly like the sunset/sunrise photography capture, turning outdoor lamps on/off, or on another time-zone or I may miss out anything (paranoid kicks in again)…
Old 26 July 2021, 11:11 PM   #35
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX* View Post
Well, at least for one that is really checking the day or night difference significantly like the sunset/sunrise photography capture, turning outdoor lamps on/off, or on another time-zone or I may miss out anything (paranoid kicks in again)…
I'm a sailor. Doesn't get more involved with sunrise/sunset and different time zones...
A bi-color bezel makes no difference, really.
A 48 instead of 24 click bezel is a bit more useful though, if someone is obsessed with tracking odd time zones...There is also an argument against that but that's another story altogether...
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 01:33 AM   #36
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm a sailor. Doesn't get more involved with sunrise/sunset and different time zones...
A bi-color bezel makes no difference, really.
A 48 instead of 24 click bezel is a bit more useful though, if someone is obsessed with tracking odd time zones...There is also an argument against that but that's another story altogether...
Well said. But why 48? We have 24 hour a day only
Old 27 July 2021, 02:41 AM   #37
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well said. But why 48? We have 24 hour a day only
There are countries keeping half hour offsets such as India (UTC +5:30).
Although you cannot properly track those 30 mins with the minute hand (would have to wear the watch upside down):
You can at least set the bezel in an intermediate detent equal to 5,5 hours (11clicks counter clockwise) at 12 O' clock mark so that the 24h hour hand points in between hour marks of Indian time.
On the 6 digit Rolex GMT you cannot set the bezel in half hour intervals so it would be either 5 hours (10 clicks) or 6 hours (12 clicks).

1. 24h hand set to UTC showing 17:00 and hour hand set to local (Greece, UTC+3) showing 20:00

2. Bezel set to UTC +5:30 India offset; Now the 24H hand shows 22:30. (Note that the minute hand cannot be used to properly track the half hour).

3. This is how the 6 digit Rolex GMT would be set. (No intermediate click)
Old 27 July 2021, 02:41 PM   #38
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Although you cannot properly track those 30 mins with the minute hand (would have to wear the watch upside down):
You can at least set the bezel in an intermediate detent equal to 5,5 hours (11clicks counter clockwise) at 12 O' clock mark so that the 24h hour hand points in between hour marks of Indian time.
On the 6 digit Rolex GMT you cannot set the bezel in half hour intervals so it would be either 5 hours (10 clicks) or 6 hours (12 clicks).

1. 24h hand set to UTC showing 17:00 and hour hand set to local (Greece, UTC+3) showing 20:00

2. Bezel set to UTC +5:30 India offset; Now the 24H hand shows 22:30. (Note that the minute hand cannot be used to properly track the half hour).

Thank you for the sharing, very clear and learned that there are odd 0:30HR time difference in our world. Indeed nothing is perfect. Even though the hour hand can show the half hour difference but the minute hand still can’t show. Guess that’s why Rolex didn’t pursue for this additional clicks like Tudor
Old 27 July 2021, 03:39 PM   #39
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you for the sharing, very clear and learned that 1. there are odd 0:30HR time difference in our world. Indeed nothing is perfect. Even though the hour hand can show the half hour difference but the minute hand still can’t show. Guess that’s why 2. Rolex didn’t pursue for this additional clicks like Tudor

1. There are a very few 45' ones, too. Mainly due to political reasons rather than any meaningful purpose.

2. Rolex actually did away with the extra clicks upon introduction of the GMT IIC. What Tudor did is actually more traditional and happens to better suit my...OCD
Old 27 July 2021, 05:00 PM   #40
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

It's not my favorite Rolex that I own, but I think it is without question the best overall watch if you could only own one watch.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 04:28 AM   #41
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Do you guys miss to differentiate between day/night without the bicolour bezel like the Batman and Pepsi? Guess that’s the benefit of the colours
Yes and no. From a functional perspective, I do find the bi-color bezel useful. From an aesthetics perspective, I actually like the rather understated presentation of the all black bezel. I think it makes the piece more versatile overall. And if you pair it with a sub oyster bracelet, it becomes a "Sub Date w/ GMT," which I truly love. You could make a rather convincing argument that the 116710LN is the most versatile, useful, go anywhere, do anything piece in the entire Rolex lineup.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 07:25 AM   #42
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

I fly to India (Goa) on and off. I just wear the watch upside down for that one.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 10:26 AM   #43
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Even though I have the Batman too, I LOVE and wear my LN more often. I don’t know why, it just fits better!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 11:18 AM   #44
dnuggett
"TRF" Member

Don’t own one and likely never will, because I bought a Sub first.
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 02:39 PM   #45
FloMoAggie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16710
I have the 116710LN and the 16710 Pepsi. Completely different watches.

I bought the LN new from an AD in 2019 and picked up the Pepsi from DavidSW this past January. I love the aesthetic of the 16710, but agree with others that the 116710 would likely be the one watch I’d keep if I had to have only one watch. The ceramic bezel and the bracelet just make it a superior watch imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FloMoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 03:28 PM   #46
Submaster1675
"TRF" Member

Adopted 3 years ago, it has become my work watch during the week, Discreet, solid, the one that suffers the knocks and scratches of my daily life. She rests on Saturdays and Sundays, days when I wear my other watches, as I wish. Its only flaw: its power reserve of only 48 hours which forces me to reset it on time on Monday morning ...
Submaster1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 04:00 PM   #47
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Do you guys miss to differentiate between day/night without the bicolour bezel like the Batman and Pepsi? Guess that’s the benefit of the colours
I never used those colors for anything other than saying, wow its so beautiful to see two colors. Functionally, the bicolor bezel doesn't do anything as the numbers are in military time anyway and the bezel doesn't have lume. For me the BLRO just looks really cool and the black dial pops with the bright bezel colors.
I think every model offers something special. I've owned the LN, BLNR and the BLRO. If I had to pick one at random out of a hat, I would not be disappointed with whatever came out.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 05:17 PM   #48
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln

I plan to pass this down to my first born. It’s his birth watch. I bought this because I didn’t want to follow the herd with a sub. That said I’m on the waitlist for the Pepsi. I think I have a problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 05:41 PM   #49
gmtsubdweller
"TRF" Member

The LN was my first Rolex and love the fact that it can be subtle and bling both at the same time.
Alternate with the 116610LN and this all the time.
gmtsubdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 10:35 PM   #50
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
It's the all time classic and the one that spearheaded the ceramic era and standardized the super case and maxi dial. It was a bold move at the time and this watch carried the weight.
To me, this was the original "sensory overload" Rolex. Fat-lugged super case, PCL, green 24hr hand/text, shiny ceramic bezel. It was a bit of a shocker after years of admiring five-digit models.

It was the decade where Rolex "lost its way" so to speak, where there was some concern that it had missed out on large, flashy watch fad and was looking to catch up. Fortunately, someone over there remembered Rolex set trends, instead of following them.

Personally, I've never really liked this model, as the different visual components I listed above never "worked" together for me. However, I do now see its historical significance.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710 gmt , rolex gmt-master , rolex watches