The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR GMT II
Boutique relationships

I currently live in Los Angeles so have the good fortune of being in close proximity to all of the boutiques on Rodeo Dr. Needless to say that whenever my wife suggests a weekend stroll in that area I'm the first one in the car.

Over the last few months I've struck up a decent relationship with a few of the sales people at some of the stores, namely IWC and Panerai - there are a few models from each I'd consider getting when the time is right. My issue however is knowing that I'll likely never get a discount at either location, and that each of these brands take a decent beating in the secondary. Value retention is not the most important factor to me but important nonetheless in case I fall out of love down the road. Anyone else feel guilty about developing a relationship with a boutique salesperson only knowing you'll eventually buy somewhere else, or is it just me? I know the perks of this type of relationship extend beyond a 10-20% discount but I have a hard time wrapping my arms around a $12.3k PAM + 10% tax when Chrono and others suggest $10k BINB.
Howlerbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 01:52 PM   #2
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Either pay up, or stop wasting time on relationships. Seems ridiculous and rude to consume their time when their livelihood is based on their ability to generate sells. I feel like this is self centered and rather childish. I do business with those that I need, and those that I enjoy. I always get more out of the relationships that I enjoy.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
Either pay up, or stop wasting time on relationships. Seems ridiculous and rude to consume their time when their livelihood is based on their ability to generate sells. I feel like this is self centered and rather childish. I do business with those that I need, and those that I enjoy. I always get more out of the relationships that I enjoy.
I didn't mean to suggest that I was intentionally wasting their time - I genuinely enjoy getting to know the staff in each shop. That said, I have few other convenient options in LA to see these watches, outside of the rare piece in the diamond district or Torneau, so this is where I have to go to see the pieces in the mental. And in all likelihood I'll actually buy from these locations because of the point you made - relationships are important and tough to put a monetary value on. That said, I know the community has varied opinions, hence the initial question
Howlerbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:18 PM   #4
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlerbro View Post
I currently live in Los Angeles so have the good fortune of being in close proximity to all of the boutiques on Rodeo Dr. Needless to say that whenever my wife suggests a weekend stroll in that area I'm the first one in the car.

Over the last few months I've struck up a decent relationship with a few of the sales people at some of the stores, namely IWC and Panerai - there are a few models from each I'd consider getting when the time is right. My issue however is knowing that I'll likely never get a discount at either location, and that each of these brands take a decent beating in the secondary. Value retention is not the most important factor to me but important nonetheless in case I fall out of love down the road. Anyone else feel guilty about developing a relationship with a boutique salesperson only knowing you'll eventually buy somewhere else, or is it just me? I know the perks of this type of relationship extend beyond a 10-20% discount but I have a hard time wrapping my arms around a $12.3k PAM + 10% tax when Chrono and others suggest $10k BINB.

I hear what you’re saying. I wouldn’t feel bad about it because I’m sure the ratio of people that walk in vs the people that actually buy anything is really low. I purchase almost everything (except some Rolex ironically) from boutiques. It’s tough because of the immediate hit you take on MSRP, but I do it because I’m in retail myself and I support brick and mortar stores. I also want to feel welcomed when I visit. Trust me, if you go to a boutique to look but purchase online they will figure it out quickly and then it won’t be fun to go watch shopping. But to each his own, because that’s a high price to pay to feel “welcomed”, but I’m comfortable with paying the extra to shop at a boutique. On top of that my wife thinks it’s absurd to buy a $10K watch online. She said it’s like buying Hermès from a second hand dealer. But again, to each his/her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:29 PM   #5
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I’m in the watch business in sacramento and I love people coming in and chatting with me. I’d never think you’re a bother man. I like to think it’s all about networking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:37 PM   #6
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingball2 View Post
I’m in the watch business in sacramento and I love people coming in and chatting with me. I’d never think you’re a bother man. I like to think it’s all about networking.

pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 02:44 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I wouldn’t worry about it. You aren’t the first person to window shop on rodeo. If you think they earned it then buy from them.

Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount either. You never know unless you ask.
Old 12 March 2019, 06:53 PM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingball2 View Post

The attitude of a true salesman.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote