The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 September 2018, 06:52 AM   #1
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Now that’s a serious “Tiffany & Co” premium

Came across this listing for a sealed 5167a with Tiffany dial....with a $40k premium to the already above-MSRP price for a standard. I know there’s a difference between asking and selling at these prices but still can’t comprehend some of these things...that price puts you into a whole other category of watches.

https://www2.europeanwatch.com/29522.html
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
It’s bullshit :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 09:06 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
All their stuff is like 20-30% over market but seems to sell fast. They either accept offers well below asking or have a pool of buyers with more money than brains.
Old 25 September 2018, 10:45 AM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Perhaps they have a number of Tiffany fans who will pay the premium.

Or maybe it's because this watch uses a special Caliber 325, rather than the usual Caliber 324 (I am sure it was a simple typo )
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:49 AM   #5
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

tiffany patek market is odd but certainly command a premium on specific references, 5711 being the principal one..... the rest perhaps not so much. it's a nice way to distinguish among a market with many many watches
Old 25 September 2018, 12:09 PM   #6
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
I can’t speak to the specifics of what this watch is worth but I e been real happy with European Watch Co as both a buyer and seller. For preowned Patek they are one of the very best.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 06:06 PM   #7
Analysing You
"TRF" Member

This price is frankly ridiculous. However the 5167a Aquanaut is fetching a premium all around the world, it is is sealed, some may consider this to also increase the premium, and the fact that is a Tiffany & Co one certainly increases the premium even more. Once you add all those up, does it come to the price he is asking? Absolutely not. Will some one pay close to the asking price...i'm sure there is someone out there who will.

What i'm more interested in is what do the Tiffany & Co 5711-1a blue dials go for?
Analysing You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 08:39 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Find a rich lady called Tiffany Coe and this watch pays for itself, a real investment.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 08:40 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analysing You View Post
This price is frankly ridiculous. However the 5167a Aquanaut is fetching a premium all around the world, it is is sealed, some may consider this to also increase the premium, and the fact that is a Tiffany & Co one certainly increases the premium even more. Once you add all those up, does it come to the price he is asking? Absolutely not. Will some one pay close to the asking price...i'm sure there is someone out there who will.

What i'm more interested in is what do the Tiffany & Co 5711-1a blue dials go for?
£60K plus.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:50 PM   #10
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Quote:

Last one sold at auction Christies in Hong kong 2016 for a used 5711a tiffany & Co stamped fetched for $120,000 usd; So yes they go for crazy prices
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 12:06 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ugh, wonder what Albert is thinking here with pricing? Ah well, he's a great guy to deal with imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 12:37 AM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I know that it is its own limited edition but it is literally a stamping machine that can put it on the dial. I personally won't pay that kind of premium...ever. I rather go for limited editions with provenance.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 01:28 AM   #13
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Just to clarify, this post is not meant as anything toward EWC. More an observation on the crazy things going on in the luxury steel watch market. My conversations and dealings with EWC have been nothing but professional.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 01:56 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
Just to clarify, this post is not meant as anything toward EWC. More an observation on the crazy things going on in the luxury steel watch market. My conversations and dealings with EWC have been nothing but professional.
Agreed, and thanks for clarifying that it is a "what the heck" moment about the current pricing bubble.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 02:18 AM   #15
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
This price is frankly ridiculous.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Gorgeous watch but several others I would pay a premium for before that one.
Old 27 September 2018, 02:48 AM   #16
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
It’s bullshit :)
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 03:53 AM   #17
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Maybe I'm new to this, but I always thought Tiffany stamps were done after the purchase in store (and it was up to the client whether or not the watch would be stamped).

This one appears to be double sealed with the Tiffany stamp already done...? Does Patek stamp it before it gets shipped to Tiffany?
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 03:57 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Maybe I'm new to this, but I always thought Tiffany stamps were done after the purchase in store (and it was up to the client whether or not the watch would be stamped).

This one appears to be double sealed with the Tiffany stamp already done...? Does Patek stamp it before it gets shipped to Tiffany?
I thought they were stamped at the tiffany distribution point, by tiffany, and then sealed and sent to retail stores. Maybe its done in geneva though, by Patek. curious to know now.

Ive never seen a watch at Tiffany not stamped already though. Every one on display i have ever tried on has one.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 04:14 AM   #19
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

AFAIK there is one facility at Tiffany NYC that does the dial stamping. As for the Patek seal, that can easily be done at the HSWA. When watches are returned from servicing, they are sealed in Patek plastic.

Tiffany and Patek has had a 150+ year relationship and I am sure Tiffany NYC and HSWA work closely.

As for which watches get the Tiffany stamping, I heard watches at the 5270 level complication and higher do not get the Tiffany stamping. So if you see a 5270 or 5204 with Tiffany stamping, it may be a rare bird.
Old 28 September 2018, 07:16 AM   #20
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
AFAIK there is one facility at Tiffany NYC that does the dial stamping. As for the Patek seal, that can easily be done at the HSWA. When watches are returned from servicing, they are sealed in Patek plastic.

Tiffany and Patek has had a 150+ year relationship and I am sure Tiffany NYC and HSWA work closely.

As for which watches get the Tiffany stamping, I heard watches at the 5270 level complication and higher do not get the Tiffany stamping. So if you see a 5270 or 5204 with Tiffany stamping, it may be a rare bird.
Here is some information from Hodinkee about the stamping process:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pr...patek-philippe
gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 12:05 PM   #21
schwiering
"TRF" Member

TCo employee checking in. They are stamped in the US. Stamping happens by default on everything up to annual calendars and it is my understanding that you cannot get these pieces without the stamp. Anything above that level, perpetual calendar and up, would require someone from Geneva to come to the US to take the watch apart because of the level of the complication requires certification from Patek. This would require the client to be super high end or just the luck of someone from Geneva being in NY. TCo also doesn't stamp limited editions, like the 5522. An exception to this would be the special edition 5396 for the boutique anniversary. As with anything, Tiffany or Patek, there are always exception to the rules.
schwiering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 01:44 PM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwiering View Post
TCo employee checking in. They are stamped in the US. Stamping happens by default on everything up to annual calendars and it is my understanding that you cannot get these pieces without the stamp. Anything above that level, perpetual calendar and up, would require someone from Geneva to come to the US to take the watch apart because of the level of the complication requires certification from Patek. This would require the client to be super high end or just the luck of someone from Geneva being in NY. TCo also doesn't stamp limited editions, like the 5522. An exception to this would be the special edition 5396 for the boutique anniversary. As with anything, Tiffany or Patek, there are always exception to the rules.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 28 September 2018, 02:57 PM   #23
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've seen a number of perpetual calendars with Tiffany stamps in the display case.
Old 29 September 2018, 03:37 AM   #24
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Ah gotcha. Thanks for the details everyone. That's an interesting process I was always curious about.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 03:44 AM   #25
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmstevenson View Post
I've seen a number of perpetual calendars with Tiffany stamps in the display case.
I remember hearing from a Tiffany Patek employee that PCC and higher were not stamped, but that was a few years ago. They may have changed policy where even PCs are no longer stamped automatically.
Old 29 September 2018, 03:56 AM   #26
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember hearing from a Tiffany Patek employee that PCC and higher were not stamped, but that was a few years ago. They may have changed policy where even PCs are no longer stamped automatically.
I wouldn't doubt that PCCs are not stamped. But I've recently seen several PCs (5496P and 5327G) stamped. The 5327G was also sealed.

Also recently saw a 5960/01-G stamped.

I suspect it may be hit or miss. But first I've heard of needing someone from Geneva to come to the US to stamp a PC. I would think HSWA would be able to do so.
Old 29 September 2018, 04:01 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
do you know about non US Tiffany locations? Everyone keeps talking about NY where this happens. But what about Tiffany locations in Europe for example. TBH i have never tried on watches in a non US Tiffany, but im assuming they are stamped? Or do they not even carry Patek and its a US thing? never really looked into it
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 04:24 AM   #28
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
do you know about non US Tiffany locations? Everyone keeps talking about NY where this happens. But what about Tiffany locations in Europe for example. TBH i have never tried on watches in a non US Tiffany, but im assuming they are stamped? Or do they not even carry Patek and its a US thing? never really looked into it
I didn't think Tiffany sold Patek outside select US locations. Could be wrong but that was my understanding.
Old 29 September 2018, 04:39 AM   #29
Vegan
"TRF" Member

https://www.chrono24.com/patekphilip...-id9127246.htm

white tiffany 5711 for 100k $ after discount
Vegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 05:58 AM   #30
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
If you check the Patek website for a list of ADs, all the Tiffany Patek locations are located in the US. I believe there are 5-6 Tiffany locations that carry Patek watches with their NYC location being their flagship store.