The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 February 2019, 05:59 AM   #1
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Subs
To Modify or Not To Modify?

I'm posting this as a follow-up to the discussion on this subject in another active thread. But I'd like to extend the discussion beyond 'cyclops versus tropic' crystal substitutions. I'm interested in what other vintage collectors think. I'm in the 'if it's yours do what you find esthetically pleasing' camp. Below are pics of my gilt 5513 which I bought from the original owner with all original parts. However, I am fascinated by watch movements and like to be able to see them. Plus I am a fan of the early butterfly rotors. So I had my watchmaker do this:

1. Take an early 1520 autowind bridge with the "26 Rubies..." engraving-
2. Mate it with an early autowind device using brass reversing wheels-
3. Attached a near NOS butterfly rotor-
4. Substitute for the original parts-
5. Replace the original caseback with a clear one.

I still have all the original parts, and they can be restored to the watch in a matter of minutes; but in the meantime, I really enjoy looking at both the face and the back of this watch.

What do you think? Post pics if you think similarly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Best Gilt Gloss Pic.jpg (213.2 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg 20170201_102945-1_resized.jpg (255.3 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg 20170201_102855-1_resized.jpg (202.4 KB, 361 views)
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 06:19 AM   #2
Lgear080
Banned

Usually not a case back fan as this, but the rotor is nice and it’d be great as a discussion piece.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 06:27 AM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

lol and I thought putting an antique oval link jubilee on my 16570 was rad! Amazing transformation! Enjoy it. :)

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 06:48 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Nice wach!

Mod does nothing for me but as long as you can restore it.. Who cares. Enjoy!
Old 3 February 2019, 08:10 AM   #5
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

What a nice result! I like what you did. I sincerely believe in enjoying what one has, and a reversible modification like this has zero risk. Awesome!
Old 3 February 2019, 08:25 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I really love the front side!
Old 3 February 2019, 03:10 PM   #7
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think it’s really cool. You can enjoy it as is and also have the parts to “correct” it as you see fit. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 12:22 AM   #8
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Looks great Al! Fun mods for an awesome gilt Sub.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 02:26 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I don't mind the clear case back, because the original case back can easily be put back on. But personally I wouldn't enjoy looking at a movement that was modified and not original. It's not whether it can be returned to its original state, which it can in this case, of course. It would just bother me psychologically to know the movement doesn't look the way it did when it left the factory. Just one man's opinion. The watch itself looks fantastic!

I had a similar situation with a 6265 Daytona that I could have bought several years ago significantly cheaper than my current 6263, and just swapped the bezel to make it look like a 6263. There is absolutely no difference between the references except that bezel. However, because the reference number was different _ just one little digit engraved between the lugs _ I couldn't bring myself to do it because it wasn't how the watch looked originally. Yes, I have watch OCD!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 04:27 AM   #10
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I don't mind the clear case back, because the original case back can easily be put back on. But personally I wouldn't enjoy looking at a movement that was modified and not original. It's not whether it can be returned to its original state, which it can in this case, of course. It would just bother me psychologically to know the movement doesn't look the way it did when it left the factory. Just one man's opinion. The watch itself looks fantastic!

I had a similar situation with a 6265 Daytona that I could have bought several years ago significantly cheaper than my current 6263, and just swapped the bezel to make it look like a 6263. There is absolutely no difference between the references except that bezel. However, because the reference number was different _ just one little digit engraved between the lugs _ I couldn't bring myself to do it because it wasn't how the watch looked originally. Yes, I have watch OCD!
That is fairly obvious(Your OCD)
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 12:07 PM   #11
jjmcd
"TRF" Member

Great topic! Please PM me where you guys sourced your clear casebacks. I have always thought that it was a crime that our Rolexes have these beautiful movements that we never see...

Here are some pics of my 1675 GMT fitted with a 6542-style bakelite bezel. This is an entirely reversible mod (in fact, I have since refitted this watch with its original faded metal insert - see my other posts) and I think is a lot of fun to mix and match.

The purists will of course object, but I think it's really pretty silly since Rolex themselves will replace a dial in a Day-Date, Date or Datejust with one of a different color from what it came from the factory upon a customer request during service (as they did for me with my WG 1803 DD, which went from a silver dial to a white dial).

jjmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 12:15 PM   #12
jjmcd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
However, because the reference number was different _ just one little digit engraved between the lugs _ I couldn't bring myself to do it because it wasn't how the watch looked originally. Yes, I have watch OCD!
Keep in mind, as I just posted, that Rolex themselves will swap out dials upon customer request.

In addition, when these watches were sold new, bracelets were regularly swapped by authorized Rolex dealers in order to make a sale - Oysters for Jubilees on GMTs, Jubilees for Presidents on Datejusts, Presidents for leather straps on Day-Dates, etc. Same thing for inserts in GMT Masters - pepsi for all-black on 1675s, coke for pepsi or all black, or vice versa, on 16710s, etc.

The concept of "original factory configuration" is really a fiction when it comes to vintage Rolex watches, so you shouldn't drive yourself crazy about making reversible modifications to your watches.
jjmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 01:13 PM   #13
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
x2
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 11:14 AM   #14
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I'm not alone. This hobby is rife with guys looking for vintage perfection and complete originality, or as close as you can get. It attracts that type of person. You should see how I am with my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcd View Post
Keep in mind, as I just posted, that Rolex themselves will swap out dials upon customer request.
Bracelets/straps, yes, sometimes dealers would swap them out. Bezel inserts too. But dials? I don't think so. To begin with, there aren't many dials that are interchangeable, DJs and Daytonas (black/white) are two off the top of my head. But what else? Doubtful that Rolex ever did this, certainly not as a common practice.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 04:05 PM   #15
Mrpupsi
"TRF" Member

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but why can you not just keep it all original internally and just put a clear back case on it? Why the need to modify the movement?
Mrpupsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 04:36 PM   #16
Cravings7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpupsi View Post
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but why can you not just keep it all original internally and just put a clear back case on it? Why the need to modify the movement?
That's life for you mate. We never satisfied.
Cravings7 is offline   Reply With Quote