The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 May 2017, 06:04 AM   #1
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Been bitten by the AP bug...

Ok guys, I've recently seen the Diver in person and am kind of hooked. I'm surprised; I have rather small wrists and am not into larger watches but the diver... my god I don't know what it was...

Anyway, I'm thinking about selling my Rolex Hulk (don't tell the guys on the Rolex boards ) and putting the money toward a white Diver.

Maybe this infatuation will wear off, I don't know. But for now I'd like some more knowledge about the quality and service of AP as I've never owned one before:

1. How robust is the movement? I like my watches to be able to take anything I throw at them and have heard good things about AP but how do they compare movement-wise to a Rolex or even Omega calibre?

2. How are service costs? I've heard horrid things about AP service, and don't know how true they are. If anybody has any stories regarding service experience and cost I would love to hear them.

3. What kind of price should I be looking at paying? If buying at an AD, can I expect any possible discount on the white Diver (I've heard it's the less popular of the two)? Also, what's a good pre-owned price look like?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 06:05 AM   #2
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Snapped a quick pic of my current collection for reference.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
Old 28 May 2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

I think selling the hulk makes sense. I love my 15400 - it's the best watch I have and I have quite a few (SubC, Seamaster ceramic, multiple GS, GO panomaticluhar)
Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 10:21 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The Diver is very nice, it was my first AP and really turned me onto the brand with its quality feel and finishing. APs have more reliability issues than Rolex but AP service is the best around and will deal with any issues quickly and very politely, unlike Rolex! Service cost for the Diver is under £1K so very reasonable considering the price, lots of scaremongering on AP service costs for some reason. Warranty is 3 years and maybe 5 years if bought from a boutique.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 11:04 AM   #5
mmancari
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ap Diver 5513Rolex
So far I'm loving my diver. On the wrist for a week now.
mmancari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 12:19 PM   #6
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The Diver is very nice, it was my first AP and really turned me onto the brand with its quality feel and finishing. APs have more reliability issues than Rolex but AP service is the best around and will deal with any issues quickly and very politely, unlike Rolex! Service cost for the Diver is under £1K so very reasonable considering the price, lots of scaremongering on AP service costs for some reason. Warranty is 3 years and maybe 5 years if bought from a boutique.
Oh, nice. Thanks for the info!

I am hearing good things about the Diver from many owners but another concern for me is the size. I have 6.5 inch wrists and the Hulk already feels like a 41-42 so I may be more prepared than I think, but still. I have worn other APs and they do wear large but have not tried on the diver as the places I frequent never have it in stock.

Does the rubber cause for a better fit than the classic RO? I've tried the 42 chronos as well and those wear quite large. Both leather and bracelets.

I'm also keen to try out calibre 3120. I've heard it's one of the best movements around from a watchmaker's perspective!
Old 28 May 2017, 02:31 PM   #7
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I have a 6.5" wrist as well, and I found the Diver to be a great fit. Like you, I was worried that it might be too large, but those fears were unfounded.

I never needed to service mine, but I've heard nothing but exceptional reviews on their service.

I really really miss mine. In the end I only sold it because I'm a candyass about bezel scratches. If AP ever makes a 42mm ROO with a ceramic bezel I'm back in!

For visual reference - the Diver on my 6.5" wrist.

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 03:12 PM   #8
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Oh damn, that does look pretty good. You are not making things easy! Ugghh... I may just have to bite the bullet here.

I sort of agree that this is one watch that wouldn't look that great with battle scars. I feel Rolex look amazing scratched up but pretty much anything else except maybe Omega divers wear quite badly. Another consideration I'll have to take into account.

I really, really want to try this piece on now. I'm hoping to buy pre-owned (if anything) because I think this would really hurt my bank otherwise.
Old 28 May 2017, 04:54 PM   #9
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
The Diver is a great watch. AP reliability is good. You probably need to baby it a bit more than a rolex though. The finishing on the watch and movement is second to none.

AP service is better than most watch brands in the business. Service costs are reasonable IMO.

Be warned though. The bezel is a scratch magnet I hear.

Just my opinion, but I would keep the Hulk and sell the other Sub.

Good luck on your decision and hope to see an incoming soon.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 07:20 PM   #10
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
A beat up AP looks as good as a beat up Rolex. My friend who is in fashion, runs his own successfull business has RO chrono that he has beaten more than pretty much anyone on this forum would with a entry level steel rolex. The deep scratches on the bracelet from one of his pool parties just gives character.

But yeah, if you are stretching your budget to buy a AP and resale value is important then it's seems like scratched APs don't trade well.
Old 28 May 2017, 09:30 PM   #11
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

6.5 inch wrist shouldn't be a problem. 6.33 inch wrist here but my wrist is flat. I just acquired the diver and have posted 2 pics here in the recent threads, one on rubber strap, one on bracelet.

I wear the rubber strap on the smallest hole very well. Due to its natural shape the rubber strap doesnt fit under the cuff very well. It fits, but doesn't slide under that well.

I wear the bracelet with only 1 link added (i.e. just 1 size up from the smallest possible), and it fits perfectly. Tried without any links added (i.e. smallest possible) and it was too tight, eating into my skin. Fits perfectly under shirt cuffs. Bear in mind the wrist expands and contracts quite significantly.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 11:40 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
While the bezel is delicate if you have wrist awareness and wear it selectively and in rotation with others then you should be fine, I had 2 small marks in 2 years. I wouldn't have it as a one and only.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 12:13 AM   #13
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I LOVE my white diver. I've had a lot of AP's but for some reason it's really the one that does it for me. A friend of mine saw my first (which was preowned and did have a couple marks on it) and he bought it off me for a couple hundred more than I paid. I immediately turned around and bought a BNIB one. Thats the first time I've ever bought a watch twice for wearing (vs collecting). You will LOVE it. The no chrono pushers make it just a bit tighter, and the watch looks great on any wrist, and for some reason a mm-2 smaller looking than th the chrono 42 models.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 12:40 AM   #14
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
The diver rocks and it was also my first AP...you'll love it.

Outside of general condition of the watch you will see various prices weather its newer generation (clear case back) or previous generation (solid case back)

Happy hunting.
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 01:14 AM   #15
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post

If AP ever makes a 42mm ROO with a ceramic bezel I'm back in!

Good news!! You're in luck!! And have MANY choices!
Bumblebee, Ginza7 FC, Sebastien Buemi, Doha/Qatar 135th, Pride of Siam (VERY COOL WATCH!), Survivor is black and won't really scratch, you can put a Ceramic Bezel on any of the Rubberclads (Black, Gold, White - Black & Gold have two dial variants.)
Ceramic Diver, FC Diver, White Ceramic Diver
Singapore GP and Jarno Trulli are scratch resistant Cermet, too!

Choices Choices Choices!!! Can't wait to see your incoming!!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 01:17 AM   #16
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Quote:
I have a 6.5" wrist as well, and I found the Diver to be a great fit. Like you, I was worried that it might be too large, but those fears were unfounded.

I never needed to service mine, but I've heard nothing but exceptional reviews on their service.

I really really miss mine. In the end I only sold it because I'm a candyass about bezel scratches. If AP ever makes a 42mm ROO with a ceramic bezel I'm back in!

For visual reference - the Diver on my 6.5" wrist.

Ceramic diver

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 01:41 AM   #17
mws222
Banned

Can't go wrong with the white diver

mws222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 01:59 AM   #18
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteel View Post
Good news!! You're in luck!! And have MANY choices!
Bumblebee, Ginza7 FC, Sebastien Buemi, Doha/Qatar 135th, Pride of Siam (VERY COOL WATCH!), Survivor is black and won't really scratch, you can put a Ceramic Bezel on any of the Rubberclads (Black, Gold, White - Black & Gold have two dial variants.)
Ceramic Diver, FC Diver, White Ceramic Diver
Singapore GP and Jarno Trulli are scratch resistant Cermet, too!

Choices Choices Choices!!! Can't wait to see your incoming!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post
Ceramic diver!

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Haha, right you are. I should have said a 42mm that I can afford. Unfortunately I have AP taste on a Rolex budget. Those limited editions and discontinued models are a little beyond my reach.

Not to hijack the thread... I look forward to the OP's incoming!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 02:23 AM   #19
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha, right you are. I should have said a 42mm that I can afford. Unfortunately I have AP taste on a Rolex budget. Those limited editions and discontinued models are a little beyond my reach.

Not to hijack the thread... I look forward to the OP's incoming!

Perfectly understood!!!
I know the feeling too, lol ;)
Cheers buddy
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2017, 03:40 AM   #20
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote