The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2022, 06:54 PM   #1
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Omega Speedmaster Chronographs which one?

Hi,
I looking for a manual winding movement from Speedmaster range. Which option will be the best one Moonwatch (sapphire crystal) or SPEEDMASTER '57 40.5 MM(blue, red or green dial) or CHRONOSCOPE. Im thinking to go with bracelet. Which one would you recommend me? If you have any photos you can upload. Should I expect some discount (Im planning to trade Rolex Explorer II black dial do you think its a good idea?) Thanks for your response in advance.
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 10:03 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I believe you should start here

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...sional/product

You questions tell me that you understand little about the history of the Omega Speedmaster.

Then you should read some other articles

https://www.timeandwatches.com/p/his...eedmaster.html

https://revolutionwatch.com/10-momen...dmaster-story/

https://monochrome-watches.com/a-gui...-by-reference/

Good luck
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 11:25 PM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Speedmaster 57 blue or burgundy. The Flatlink bracelet is a,along and tops the jubilee from 3861
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 05:06 AM   #4
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
As between the Speedmaster options, the real question is...

Which one do you like best? Only you can answer that question for yourself. For example, I can go on about the history of the Moonwatch all day, but if you simply like the look and feel of the Speedmaster '57 better, or perhaps if it's simply a better fit for you, then...buy the one you really like. Listen more to your instinct and feelings than your intellectual analysis.

Either way, you're getting a fine watch. I'm unfamiliar with the chronoscope, but I'm confident enough in the brand to presume it's also a fine watch.

The Moonwatch is uniquely iconic, if that matters to you, if you're drawn to the history of the watch. The '57 has its place in Speedmaster history, so there's that...but, it is a contemporary take on a classic design, whereas the current Moonwatch is the most recent evolution of a design that has been in production for decades.

And, the Moonwatch is, for many, THE Omega to have, if you're going to have just one. Unless, of course, it's simply too large, or you don't like it.

I don't know what the state of play is, discount wise, at ADs. Maybe recent market volatility has people pausing on luxury purchases...if so, that might help you negotiate for a discount. It's all very much dependent on the AD in question.

The boutiques don't discount, but will try to compete by offering 0 percent financing terms, and/or throw in little extras, such as another strap or something.

Over time, your Explorer will hold its value more than the Omegas. Omegas seem to depreciate noticiably, whereas Rolex, historically, hold value or even appreciate (especially as of late, with incredible demand for Rolex; that Rolex boom may, or may not, have peaked...the jury's still out regarding whether the recent apparent flattening of the secondary market is just a slow down or the beginning of a crash). Personally, I'd hang onto the Rolex for now, rather than trade it for an Omega. If you're trading with an AD, you're unlikely to realize the maximum value for the Rolex. And, secondary market dealers are probably going to be offering less to buy Rolex at present.

The boutiques for Omega do offer appealing financing terms...no money down, zero percent interest. The time frame maybe a year, or two, or three, depending on how much you are spending. While many prefer not to use credit to buy a watch, this is a way to avoid interest if one can make the payments within the specified time frame.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 09:29 AM   #5
Cougar1968
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
As between the Speedmaster options, the real question is...

Which one do you like best? Only you can answer that question for yourself. For example, I can go on about the history of the Moonwatch all day, but if you simply like the look and feel of the Speedmaster '57 better, or perhaps if it's simply a better fit for you, then...buy the one you really like. Listen more to your instinct and feelings than your intellectual analysis.

Either way, you're getting a fine watch. I'm unfamiliar with the chronoscope, but I'm confident enough in the brand to presume it's also a fine watch.

The Moonwatch is uniquely iconic, if that matters to you, if you're drawn to the history of the watch. The '57 has its place in Speedmaster history, so there's that...but, it is a contemporary take on a classic design, whereas the current Moonwatch is the most recent evolution of a design that has been in production for decades.

And, the Moonwatch is, for many, THE Omega to have, if you're going to have just one. Unless, of course, it's simply too large, or you don't like it.

I don't know what the state of play is, discount wise, at ADs. Maybe recent market volatility has people pausing on luxury purchases...if so, that might help you negotiate for a discount. It's all very much dependent on the AD in question.

The boutiques don't discount, but will try to compete by offering 0 percent financing terms, and/or throw in little extras, such as another strap or something.

Over time, your Explorer will hold its value more than the Omegas. Omegas seem to depreciate noticiably, whereas Rolex, historically, hold value or even appreciate (especially as of late, with incredible demand for Rolex; that Rolex boom may, or may not, have peaked...the jury's still out regarding whether the recent apparent flattening of the secondary market is just a slow down or the beginning of a crash). Personally, I'd hang onto the Rolex for now, rather than trade it for an Omega. If you're trading with an AD, you're unlikely to realize the maximum value for the Rolex. And, secondary market dealers are probably going to be offering less to buy Rolex at present.

The boutiques for Omega do offer appealing financing terms...no money down, zero percent interest. The time frame maybe a year, or two, or three, depending on how much you are spending. While many prefer not to use credit to buy a watch, this is a way to avoid interest if one can make the payments within the specified time frame.
Really nothing else to be added to this thread…we’ll said Sir
Cougar1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 09:34 AM   #6
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar1968 View Post
Really nothing else to be added to this thread…we’ll said Sir

Thank you! Hope the OP finds it helpful!
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote