The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 December 2021, 11:32 AM   #1
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
A Question for the Rolex Tech Experts

I have, for many years, worn either a Sub, GMT or DJ while golfing. Never a worry, never a problem.

My brand new YM2 had to go to RSC recently for a power reserve problem. I had been wearing it regularly to golf.

My specific question is, could the more complex Rolex movements, such as those found in the YM2 and Sky Dweller be more susceptible to damage from repetitive shock because of their complexity? Is shock resistance the same throughout the various models? Can this be empirically measured? Do the extra moving parts come in to play?

Curious what those in the know think about this.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:01 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
From the Rolex website.

THE CRASH TEST
Rolex watches have to pass more than 20 different drop tests before their launch. The most severe homologation test is the bélier, tellingly named after the ram. This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G – hundreds of times more than a car crash test. Yet the watch has to remain unharmed and fully functional afterwards, maintaining the highest real-life standards of accuracy and appearance befitting of a Rolex.

Not sure if this is empirical in your opinion or *how good a golfer you are but it will give you an idea of shock resistance?

*are you constantly hacking your way out of the rough?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Watch This
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
From the Rolex website.

THE CRASH TEST
Rolex watches have to pass more than 20 different drop tests before their launch. The most severe homologation test is the bélier, tellingly named after the ram. This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G – hundreds of times more than a car crash test. Yet the watch has to remain unharmed and fully functional afterwards, maintaining the highest real-life standards of accuracy and appearance befitting of a Rolex.

Not sure if this is empirical in your opinion or *how good a golfer you are but it will give you an idea of shock resistance?

*are you constantly hacking your way out of the rough?
I took a lesson last week. My pro suggested I take two weeks off then quit.
Old 24 December 2021, 11:16 PM   #4
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Haaa. I've been taking two weeks off and then quit for about 30+ years now. Still playing up here in the NE. Made a 5 footer with break on 18 Mon. To save $10. Lol
Kap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 01:30 AM   #5
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
I would recommend not ever wearing a watch while golfing. Newer pieces with silicon Hairsprings will likely be less impacted but older pieces can easily bend Hairsprings from the force.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 06:29 AM   #6
Nickotime
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
I would recommend not ever wearing a watch while golfing. Newer pieces with silicon Hairsprings will likely be less impacted but older pieces can easily bend Hairsprings from the force.
I agree 100%.
Nickotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 06:45 AM   #7
Kap007
"TRF" Member

I have worn a 1993 air king playing golf and drums. Also, i have worn the 116900 AK doing the same activities. I never take it off. Does not hurt the watch.
Old 29 December 2021, 08:43 AM   #8
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap007 View Post
I have worn a 1993 air king playing golf and drums. Also, i have worn the 116900 AK doing the same activities. I never take it off. Does not hurt the watch.

You or anyone else are only taking your chances. I would strongly urge folks not to wear during golfing the force from the swing can and does bend non silicon Hairsprings. This can be an expensive repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 29 December 2021, 09:16 PM   #9
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
yes the most durable references don't even have a date less things that can go wrong
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 11:27 AM   #10
Nelson6
"TRF" Member

An excellent question. I could see damage being done to some of the perpetual calendar wizardry, but the power reserve would just be the basic drivetrain which should be quite tough. I'd try it again after it's repaired, and if it happens again (it should happen while it's still in warranty I should think) there's your answer. Hopefully a true watchmaker with experience with this watch will chime in. Good luck!
Nelson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 11:35 PM   #11
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
Have you ever noticed Phil Mickelson playing golf? He wears a gold Rolex on a strap every round he plays.
Old 2 January 2022, 11:18 PM   #12
Kap007
"TRF" Member

This comes up so much. Why are a lot of people so delicate with their Rolex? It is designed to put on and forget about.(unless rare vintage reference). The only time to take it off is I guess if you have to go to the hospital so no one steals it. Playing golf, drums, walking dog, and drinking tea with your Rolex will not hurt it. Lol.
Old 3 January 2022, 03:36 PM   #13
007Sub
"TRF" Member

A Question for the Rolex Tech Experts

I’ve serviced over 200 sport Rolex in 2021. The majority of which were 15XX cal movements. Followed by 30XX and 31XX. The number of hairsprings I’ve had to adjust at this point I’ve lost count of. Straightening hairsprings is an incredibly delicate process and can be a real pain. It’s more common in 15XX/lower beat movements but nevertheless has been needed for others as well. Beyond watchmaking I’m a collector as well and wear primarily sport models with 15XX through 31XX calibers. Ive worn my watches on my motorcycles, on grueling hikes, in the ocean, playing guitar, but I’d never golf with one on because the g force intrinsic to a golf swing stresses the hairspring differently than many other “rough” actions which are vibrational and mitigated by the shock absorbers of the balance assembly.

I think it’s great that people wear their watches and enjoy them. The op asked about golf swings impact on the watch. There’s a very real possibility it can impact the hairspring and mess up your watch. Simply put, I love seeing people wear their watches hard but there’s a difference between wearing them hard and wearing them carelessly. Golfing with one on is the latter.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 3 January 2022, 10:47 PM   #14
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Always been a rebel. Not going to be playing here in a while. I may head south; keep you posted if watch holds up. If my watch breaks I will get it fixed.
Old 4 January 2022, 12:05 AM   #15
Watch This
Banned

I appreciate the replies however my initial post did not ask if it was ok to golf with a Rolex and in fact, I stated that I have without incident for many years. That topic has been beaten to death on this forum.

The actual question was whether the MORE COMPLEX MOVEMENTS such as those found in the YM2 and Sky Dweller were more at risk for shock damage due solely to their increased complexity and more moving parts.
Old 4 January 2022, 06:41 AM   #16
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
I appreciate the replies however my initial post did not ask if it was ok to golf with a Rolex and in fact, I stated that I have without incident for many years. That topic has been beaten to death on this forum.

The actual question was whether the MORE COMPLEX MOVEMENTS such as those found in the YM2 and Sky Dweller were more at risk for shock damage due solely to their increased complexity and more moving parts.

Yes. With increased complexity comes more potential for things to go wrong when under stress.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 1 May 2022, 02:43 AM   #17
gtbouch
"TRF" Member

Watch: '02 Datejust SS/18
What if it is all an illusion?
gtbouch is offline   Reply With Quote