The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2022, 06:39 PM   #1
April26
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36
So frustrating

So my SA at my AD called yesterday and asked if I would be interested in steel seadweller (not James Cameron), I haven’t turned down yet I am going to try on see what it’s like on the wrist as it’s a very big watch, this is the second one I’ve had offered in the last 6 months (last one was 2 tone), I have never shown interest in this model, my heart is on the skydweller either steel or two tone, I feel like I’m being palmed off with this watch and will never get offered the watch I actually want !! Or maybe I’m last resort as no one else actually wants the watch. Dunno whether to take it or not
April26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 06:41 PM   #2
Lewi777
"TRF" Member

Why would you take what you don't want? You'll surely regret it as a waste of money once you have it and don't wear it and don't want it.
Lewi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 06:53 PM   #3
EvelynWaugh
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't take it. I love Rolex as much as anybody but I will never "settle" or be coerced into buying something I don't need or want.
EvelynWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 06:54 PM   #4
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Don't settle for something you do not really want. Be firm with the AD about what you want.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 06:55 PM   #5
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April26 View Post
So my SA at my AD called yesterday and asked if I would be interested in steel seadweller (not James Cameron), I haven’t turned down yet I am going to try on see what it’s like on the wrist as it’s a very big watch, this is the second one I’ve had offered in the last 6 months (last one was 2 tone), I have never shown interest in this model, my heart is on the skydweller either steel or two tone, I feel like I’m being palmed off with this watch and will never get offered the watch I actually want !! Or maybe I’m last resort as no one else actually wants the watch. Dunno whether to take it or not
one of the watches i want !
bestkepttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 06:55 PM   #6
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
Don’t buy what you don’t want.
Old 25 May 2022, 06:59 PM   #7
John Sheridan
"TRF" Member

Trust your instinct on this, if you feel like they are palming you off then they are palming you off. It often seems to be the sea dweller is the available watch which suggests it’s hard to shift, hold out for what you want.
John Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 07:08 PM   #8
April26
"TRF" Member

Yes you have confirmed what I have been thinking, I’ve been a good customer and sent referrals to this SA and AD so I’m going to be blunt and straight if they can’t get me the watch I want then I’m going to finish with Rolex AD and buy grey market
Old 25 May 2022, 07:09 PM   #9
April26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkepttime View Post
one of the watches i want !
Where abouts are you in the world buddy? If in the uk maybe you could call them up after I reject it and try your luck?
Old 25 May 2022, 07:10 PM   #10
April26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewi777 View Post
Why would you take what you don't want? You'll surely regret it as a waste of money once you have it and don't wear it and don't want it.
Because if it got me closer to getting the watch I actually want. Also I don’t want to ruin this so called client relationship
I’ve built up but think I’m gonna leave it
Old 25 May 2022, 07:10 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Dunno whether to take it or not
You've answered your own question.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 07:15 PM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Because if it got me closer to getting the watch I actually want. Also I don’t want to ruin this so called client relationship
I’ve built up but think I’m gonna leave it

My £0.02 FWIW:

Has it got you closer to your Sky Dweller? Have you asked? Have you negotiated and closed the deal as in getting the next Sky Dweller if you buy the Sea Dweller?

The so called relationship doesn't seem to be working all that well.

Leaving it looks like your best option. You never know, if you stick to your goal it might go better in the medium to long term.

The Sky Dweller is as awesome to own, wear and use as it looks. You won't be sorry - eventually. Good luck with it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 07:17 PM   #13
blargle
Banned

just be patient, these ridiculous tactics by smug ADs are slowly going to become a thing of the past, and these smug sales reps aren't going to know what hit them

personally I can't wait for my first interaction with my local AD when this house of cards finally topples
blargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 07:25 PM   #14
April26
"TRF" Member

This Ad has got me submariners, Batman and root beer and has offered me a airking so I think the relationship is worth sticking with, just want the skydweller so I can call it a day :)
Old 25 May 2022, 07:27 PM   #15
johnwigan
Banned

Don't buy a watch you don't want. Just politely decline and tell them what you actually want. No need to burn bridges. That is the sort of thing I do when annoyed but just stay on the waiting list, no harm done. I think the shortages will diminish in the coming months and years so you probably will be able able to get exactly what you want at MSRP. But either way don't buy what you don't want. That is crazy.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 07:37 PM   #16
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Don't take the offer if it isn't the one you really want. Your AD has no problem to sell this watch. Even you pass on this one, I am sure your SA still offer you the one that you're waiting for in the near future.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 07:42 PM   #17
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Politely decline. Thank them for reaching out. Re-express your interest in acquiring a Skydweller.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 07:45 PM   #18
Spurman
"TRF" Member

U may turn it down polititely if you do not want this sd43. Though i love the sd43 personally. Hee.

But if the sky d is whag u like. Just decline this and wait on. I dun tink it will harm your chance with the sky d. If u take the sd43, you might have to wait longer for the sky d as u r allocated a sports watch already
Spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 08:14 PM   #19
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
You said sky dweller, they probably heard sea dweller.... easy mistake.
Old 25 May 2022, 08:52 PM   #20
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epanerai12 View Post
You said sky dweller, they probably heard sea dweller.... easy mistake.
Yes……one is an eagle and the other is a duck….. easy mistake lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 09:11 PM   #21
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
If you don’t want it don’t buy it.

However, I like the SD43 much better than a Sub, but that’s me and It fits my wrist better.

Good luck.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 09:15 PM   #22
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Politely decline. Thank them for reaching out. Re-express your interest in acquiring a Skydweller.
This is exactly what I would do. Be polite but express your desire for the Sky-D.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 09:20 PM   #23
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

if you take it you most likely won't be offered a skydweller
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 09:21 PM   #24
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
A polite no, thank you would be best. They have sold you some desirable watches. They are in sales and are trying to sell. It should not offend you that they they offer you a watch. You can decline and remind them you are looking forward to a Sky.

Shipments seem to be up. I know it can be frustrating, but I would be patient.

Good luck.
Old 25 May 2022, 09:23 PM   #25
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Don't buy a watch you don't want. Just politely decline and tell them what you actually want. No need to burn bridges. That is the sort of thing I do when annoyed but just stay on the waiting list, no harm done. I think the shortages will diminish in the coming months and years so you probably will be able able to get exactly what you want at MSRP. But either way don't buy what you don't want. That is crazy.
Agree. If you don't want it. Don't buy it.

But no reason to throw down ultimatums. Just try it on. Thank them, but say you want to wait for a watch you know you will wear.
Old 25 May 2022, 09:29 PM   #26
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I was offered two watches by a new SA at a new AD in April on two separate occasions. I turned them down by saying I’m sure there’s a customer waiting for those more than if I just take them. I was then offered my LV green bezel Submariner a week later which I accepted. Hopefully this will work for you OP!
Old 25 May 2022, 09:35 PM   #27
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes you have confirmed what I have been thinking, I’ve been a good customer and sent referrals to this SA and AD so I’m going to be blunt and straight if they can’t get me the watch I want then I’m going to finish with Rolex AD and buy grey market

…bit dramatic? let us know how you get a long with that approach.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 09:42 PM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wait for what YOU truly desire.

Wanted the white dial... yet was offered the black dial Daytona Ceramic a few times from two diff ADs, yet my eyes can't friggen read the black dial with black-ish hands. So waited, and waited... and yes finally a white dial was offered.

Daytona_SS_Wrist.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2022, 09:52 PM   #29
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Wait for what YOU truly desire.

Wanted the white dial... yet was offered the black dial Daytona Ceramic a few times from two diff ADs, yet my eyes can't friggen read the black dial with black-ish hands. So waited, and waited... and yes finally a white dial was offered.

Attachment 1294551
Good call Steven. That dial pops.
Old 25 May 2022, 10:08 PM   #30
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I get your frustration. If your heart is set, no substitute will satisfy. If that's not the case and you've never considered the other models, it's worth a look to me. Maybe you will like it more.

I waited for the new ExII to come out and when I got it on wrist, I passed on it.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote