The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2022, 10:28 AM   #61
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalthunder View Post
I haven't, nor would I buy anything that I didn't truly otherwise want just to get a Rolex...that seems like a fools errand

Last watch I bought was almost 20 years ago and have relocated several times in that point, so I'm starting from scratch again so I feel the frustration.

Luckily I already have my grail watch, and my local AD carries a number of other watches that I do sincerely otherwise want, but the decision to purchase these widely available watches from them rather than a different AD or a boutique is going to be tethered to their ability to get me a Submariner
So pretty much you have no personal problems with the way things are right now.
You just felt the need to voice your concern for your fellow man.
Very nice of you
SocialMediaUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 11:19 AM   #62
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
Hang on… ‘put up with any of that’?? Haha

We are talking about retail staff here?? A shop, that happens to sell high-end goods?

You have GOT to work in a store that sells Rolex watches. I dare you to tell me you don’t!!??
Nope. Never worked at an AD for a second.

But, I do have great relationships with a fair number of AD and they all have consistent definitions of who they supply Rolex to....and it's not individuals who are problematic. Ego bruising I know, but that's their prerogative and I'm confident many AD feel the same.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 11:24 AM   #63
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMichael View Post
So assign a dollar value to “spend.” Just tell me the formula. It’s so vague.
Depends where you reside. Big cities like NYC or London you're COMPETING against individuals who have no limits to their organic spending ...so it could be in the millions.
Old 16 January 2022, 11:33 AM   #64
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

What is it with the distain you seem to have for “retail staff?” Is there something about your corporate job that leads you to believe you are somehow better than they are? That has been the tone of your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
Hang on… ‘put up with any of that’?? Haha

We are talking about retail staff here?? A shop, that happens to sell high-end goods?

You have GOT to work in a store that sells Rolex watches. I dare you to tell me you don’t!!??
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 11:37 AM   #65
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Nope. Never worked at an AD for a second.

But, I do have great relationships with a fair number of AD and they all have consistent definitions of who they supply Rolex to....and it's not individuals who are problematic. Ego bruising I know, but that's their prerogative and I'm confident many AD feel the same.
Mr. Fleetlord speaks the truth here. It is just the nature of the beast at the moment with most ADs looking to maximize in the same fashion. $2 trillion of discretionary cash flow sitting on the sideline also complicates the fun factor.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:16 PM   #66
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
There are some good and bad ADs. The good ones will form an actual relationship with you and open up the catalogue.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:17 PM   #67
DavidM716
"TRF" Member

From personal experience I picked up my Submariner date 41 today i only had to wait about 45 days for it. Purchased a Breitling end of November with my AD no relationship prior to the breitling purchase. Kept in touch with her and the GM via text every week or so. They called today. All they said was that they thought i was a nice person. Lol
DavidM716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:29 PM   #68
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM716 View Post
From personal experience I picked up my Submariner date 41 today i only had to wait about 45 days for it. Purchased a Breitling end of November with my AD no relationship prior to the breitling purchase. Kept in touch with her and the GM via text every week or so. They called today. All they said was that they thought i was a nice person. Lol
Being nice can take you alotta places...
Old 16 January 2022, 01:28 PM   #69
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Communicated with an AD yesterday. Said (exactly) “buying a Rolex is no longer a business transaction. It’s now about the relationship with us. Starting off and seeing where it goes.” Now we all know this. But it got me thinking as I had some fun pressing him on what that means. He could not (would not) define it in any way. Basically just start buying other things and we’ll see. It got me thinking, is there any other product out there where the retailer holds it hostage and extorts you with no promises of anything in the end. It’s a very dysfunctional and interesting business model.
Unfortunately the ADs do not have a choice in the current climate. When I purchased my BLRO my AD said they get 15 phone calls per day asking for just that model. If you owned an AD and had 100s of strangers bombarding you daily for the same handful of watches, wouldn’t you do everything in your power to make sure that your loyal clients have a shot at them first? I surely would, as these are the people who would have kept me in business regardless of Rolex mania.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 02:06 PM   #70
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
Unfortunately the ADs do not have a choice in the current climate. When I purchased my BLRO my AD said they get 15 phone calls per day asking for just that model. If you owned an AD and had 100s of strangers bombarding you daily for the same handful of watches, wouldn’t you do everything in your power to make sure that your loyal clients have a shot at them first? I surely would, as these are the people who would have kept me in business regardless of Rolex mania.

This is so logical that believing otherwise is almost certainly a sign of entitlement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 02:10 PM   #71
StevenMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
The sleazy part is that they wont give you particulars or define the terms, but keep dangling the carrot. If its all about a business transaction, just tell me how much and how long and let me determine if its worth my consideration

If I went in and asked and they said, $10K spend on other items and you will get one within 6-12 months I wouldn't really have a problem with it. Or that you need a minimum of $50K purchases to qualify for a GMT and $100K for a Daytona.
Exactly. Just tell me the numbers.
StevenMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 02:39 PM   #72
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
The numbers will vary by market. There was a recent post where a guy said that the owner of an AD offered a customer who spent $168K on jewelry a SS Daytona. I told that story to my AD and his reaction was that $168K was too small of a spend for a Daytona based on their customers.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 02:44 PM   #73
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If they tell people specific numbers, you know some one will sue them for not delivering. Easier to keep it vague. It sucks, but I’d probably do the same thing if I ran an AD.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 06:11 PM   #74
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
What is it with the distain you seem to have for “retail staff?” Is there something about your corporate job that leads you to believe you are somehow better than they are? That has been the tone of your posts.

More of your assumptions, again.

I don’t have any bad feeling towards retail staff in general - I don’t feel that strongly. I do think that many AD staff have a superiority complex. Now thats a generalisation i know, but it relates to the handful of stores i have dealt with over the last few years.

It has nothing to do with any lack of being supplied with what i want, just an observation when talking and listening to them operate, even when purchasing from them.

That is my experience and i am entitled to that view. I appreciate its not going to be the same absolutely everywhere at AD’s.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 06:24 PM   #75
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Depends where you reside. Big cities like NYC or London you're COMPETING against individuals who have no limits to their organic spending ...so it could be in the millions.
Absolutely agree
Harrods alone has some incredible spenders.

I followed a story of a woman who spent £600,000 (circa $850k) in one day. £30,000 on chocolates Alone. Her annual spend was around £20m

I also know for a fact that they have many £1m plus a year spenders.

People talk of total 100,000k spend to be an AD vip…… imagine what all the above are? (Not that they’re necessarily even wanting a Rolex lol)

Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 07:40 PM   #76
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Funny thing is

The “relationship” that “forms” is probably the most disingenuous sh*t show money can buy. Variables change on either end and throwing someone under the bus would have a new meaning.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 08:50 PM   #77
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
ADs are maximizing profits like any other business and leveraging what they have. In this case Rolex. Spend more get more.

My furnace just died on me in the winter. Do you think I over paid to get it fixed… yup…getting basement Reno done. Do you think the foundation inspection found some spots that could use fixing (at an inflated price) just before they start working.. yup… want to get a g wagon, need to buy a previous amg and wait years for delivery (sound familiar) etc.. etc

It’s all kinda sleazy but it’s how things are…
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 09:20 PM   #78
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Took me a while to come around to this fact but.. The market value of SS sports Rolex is established in the grey market. If you’re not prepared to spend that, expect to be extremely frustrated as a new entrant to this market. Some of us may not like it, but it is what it is.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 10:45 PM   #79
Lewi777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The sleazy part is that they wont give you particulars or define the terms, but keep dangling the carrot. If its all about a business transaction, just tell me how much and how long and let me determine if its worth my consideration
^^ This
Lewi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 11:37 PM   #80
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
Took me a while to come around to this fact but.. The market value of SS sports Rolex is established in the grey market. If you’re not prepared to spend that, expect to be extremely frustrated as a new entrant to this market. Some of us may not like it, but it is what it is.
That is exactly true! Well said!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote