The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2022, 01:47 AM   #31
GBD
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the sentiment, but don't agree. It's just a watch, and most of the associated stories are mundane and insipid. Sure there are great stories, and sad stories, but those belong to the people, not the watch. They could have been wearing any mass produced trinket.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 01:55 AM   #32
colpol
"TRF" Member

Good post

I’ve 2 vintage 1970s models & would love to know the 30/ 35 year history before they came to me
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 02:05 AM   #33
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

I definitely appreciate the sentiment from OP, but perhaps not as profoundly. I just feel grateful and blessed all the time to be able to possess whatever it is that I have, Rolexes, my health, my family, etc.
Old 16 January 2022, 02:47 AM   #34
Dazthebeard
"TRF" Member

Great words Chewie. I have a used 14270, sold in Finland in 1997, then was re sold in Italy in 2015 and had a Rolex service in 2018 in Malta some adventures before it finally got to me for my adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dazthebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 03:51 AM   #35
ScrantonStrangler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
Appreciate the sentiment, but don't agree. It's just a watch, and most of the associated stories are mundane and insipid. Sure there are great stories, and sad stories, but those belong to the people, not the watch. They could have been wearing any mass produced trinket.
Agreed. I feel the same way about “heirloom watches” generally, and I think people get too caught up in that fantasy.
ScrantonStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:04 AM   #36
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would be interesting to know how many of the watches actually have intricate backstories. I have bought about a dozen Rolex watches brand new from an authorized dealer and moved them on.

I wore them enjoyed them and ended up parting with them. I sold the day date to raise more money for a down payment on a house. Many of the watches I either got tired of or decided to move on. When the new models came out with the upgraded clasps and bracelets, I decided to upgrade.

I bought them, enjoy them to the fullest, and then moved on. There are a few in my collection that have very significant meaning to me. Those I plan to keep for a long time.

While I might regret selling some of my watches, none of them had a strong emotional connection. Or an special story attached.

Many of them I traveled with and purchased when I lived in Japan. A wonderful time in my life. The watches served me well up to the end and most of them I even made a profit on when I sold.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:32 AM   #37
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
I agree - the watch passed down in Pulp Fiction immediately comes to mind.
Old 16 January 2022, 04:46 AM   #38
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
After further reflection I’m going to add to my previous post on this introspective thread.

There are buyers of classic cars who insist upon creepily seeking out and locating ex-owners of the vehicle using carfax for feedback. I have always found this tendency to be somewhat psychotic.

Heaven forbid that someone, somehow, puts together a watch owner platform that tracks the serials just like the aforementioned vehicle VIN tracking. It would be disconcerting having a complete stranger contacting me and asking me about “my time with a watch”. I think I’d freak out to be honest.

I get it with family heirlooms, you know, what uncle or grandad did, as a kind of memory lane foray while paying homage or respects to the deceased. But, complete strangers for whom we have no method of verifying the authenticity or veracity of the yarn being fed?

Yes, it would be kind of cool (in a masochistic kind of way) to know that one’s 1980’s gold day date was owned by the character who inspired Tony Montana in scarface, or maybe the drunken debauchery era of say Brad Pitt, but let’s get real guys…it’s all bit manic
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 10:13 AM   #39
Wee-Willie
"TRF" Member

Nice post Chewie...I also collect coins & sometimes wonder who once held it, how they earned it & what it bought...especially early 1800's pieces. What did this $20 double Eagle buy in the 1870's?
Wee-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:11 PM   #40
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Potentially, your best post. Thought provoking, for sure. Well done!
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 01:37 PM   #41
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbd View Post
appreciate the sentiment, but don't agree. It's just a watch, and most of the associated stories are mundane and insipid. Sure there are great stories, and sad stories, but those belong to the people, not the watch. They could have been wearing any mass produced trinket.
+1
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 01:56 PM   #42
"TRF" Member

What a nice post. Thank you for your thoughtful insights.
6120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 03:08 PM   #43
Speeding911
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one
Thanks for reminding me what TRF was about back in the day. Great post.
Old 16 January 2022, 05:34 PM   #44
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve owned exactly two preowned watches (one Rolex).

I can honestly say I’ve never really considered what the past history of the watch was … I guess that’s why I prefer to own new and make my own memories. YMMV

+1

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:42 PM   #45
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Nice post OP. So true. Lots of history in these watches.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 05:42 PM   #46
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

I think we’re lucky to be in this group.
Point taken. I certainly am. I would also add "deserving", hoping that doesn't sound arrogant. After all, if I've worked this hard, taken these risks, made these sacrifices, made plans, invested prudently, and still failed to attain a better quality of life and standard of living than I would have by sitting on my arse and only thinking 24 hours ahead at a time, I'd be pretty useless.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 06:51 PM   #47
77T

An interesting paradigm.

Almost as if Zen may be applied to an inanimate object - that is, the art of seeing into the nature of one's own possessions.

Tangentially, do the previous owners’ possession of a Rolex imbue any meaningful karma?

Are we anthropomorphically extending intent and actions of a previous individual (owner) as consideration towards influencing the future of the new owner?

Seeping deep dreams Chewie.

As for new, I’ve had but 2 in my lifetime of Swiss watch ownership. An Omega automatic and a Polar Expl.II - the 2-3 dozen others over the decades all belonged to others before I held them.

And only the Omega remains as a memento of a path traveled…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 01:48 AM   #48
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Best part of the hobby in my opinion.

Also one of the few reasons I watch Hodinkee videos. The interviews of people with their watches, how they got them, etc. is fascinating.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 01:53 AM   #49
Little machines
"TRF" Member

All great posts !! I enjoy reading these posts with the true thought process of our watch community! I enjoy the different view points and insight to how and why we collect these time pieces ! These are the posts that I truly like reading ! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 01:54 AM   #50
breed
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
The only Rolex I've ever sold was a 1675 and I took the attitude that I was merely a caretaker of it. I still regret selling it, but I take comfort that it served me well for several years across countless timezones and 5 continents. Such a great tool watch.
Old 17 January 2022, 03:54 AM   #51
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 228239 blue dial
Agree particularly on the use of the word “pieces”

For me It’s also not just about a used watches’ story but I feel that with all watches new or used, I have been guilty of forgetting how lucky I am to own one Rolex, let alone more than one, having the chance to create my own stories wearing them.

I have at times lost sight of the feeling of longevity and the privilege of owning an individual Rolex watch. Last year was the 10 year anniversary of my first Rolex and I still own it, but I have also traded too many and owned watches just to have them in the collection, because “ you have to have a sub” or “a Daytona is the flagship sports watch”

This need to own the next one, has meant that there have been a couple which I now miss and regret selling, treating them as a route to something else, and losing the stories I had made wearing them and the sentimental reason I bought them to start all over again with a new watch.

I’m now down to 4 and on Tuesday I will be down to 3, my first, and 2 others. One of which I can honestly say is THE watch I always wished I could own. My wife understandably has drawn the line, and so hopefully this, along with my own reflections will mean I’ll own these watches for a lifetime. Then I will hand them down to my girls for them to take forward, with their own memories of me wearing them and our shared experiences. This is how objects turn into family heirlooms. How lucky I am.

Great post OP.

Old 17 January 2022, 05:51 AM   #52
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

While there are certainly Rolex watches that have been extraordinary companions on amazing adventures into the depths of the ocean, climbing the most remote mountains in the harshest weather, exploring caves around the planet or flying to far away lands while crossing many time zones!!!

But the reality is more like the watch was bought or gifted years ago, completely forgotten about, left in a drawer for years or stuck down the side of a coach. Once hearing how valuable Rolex is, it’s time to for either the original owner or their heirs to cash in and pay off the pool.

I am buddies with a small independent jewelry store in a smaller city who happens to inexplicably get some pretty nice vintage Rolex come through the store. He had a red Tiffany Sub (with box papers and Tiffany receipt mind you)come through a few years ago that the original owner wanted to sell. My buddy expected a lore filled story of how the watch was acquired, worn on military expeditions or diving wrecks for treasure….but nope…it was a gift from his wife, he never liked it, sat in a curio box for years, then his son found it and suggested he sell because it’s worth money….so that’s all the lore he got out of it. My buddy bought it from the guy and promptly sold it a major auction and bought a new pickup truck with the money. I’m sure someone holds it now and wonders all the adventures it saw..lol
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote