The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 11 November 2021, 12:52 AM   #1
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Vacheron Constantin Fifty-Six Complete Calendar Review

Vacheron Constantin Fifty-Six Complete Calendar

Wow, that title is really a mouthful. Or to be more specific a Vacheron Constantin FIFTYSIX COMPLETE CALENDAR 4000E/000A-B548. So many things to unpack here and as the evolution of my collection continues, this one has been on my list since it was introduced back in at SIHH in 2018. This review has been a long time in the making so I have many thoughts to go through.

I really resonate with Vacheron’s mission statement DO BETTER IF POSSIBLE, AND THAT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE. I have always wanted to own a Vacheron. From their uninterrupted history as the oldest continuously operating manufacture to their branding with the Maltese cross, this Maison is always on my mind. My collection has changed a lot over the last twenty years. I seem to be never be happy and always restless yet pleased with what I own and never want to part with anything. Unrealistic, I know this.

As I grow in horology, I have read, learned, looked and tried to become a collector of not only what I like to own and wear but that which deepens my enjoyment of the hobby. I have not always succeeded and have learned many lessons but in the end, these are just possessions, and experiences are far more important to me. Being able to have an experience while enjoying it with the things that bring me joy is even better.

The Fifty-Six line is very polarizing. Aimed at a younger demographic, some feel that Vacheron is straying from their roots. While the watch draws its design from the original reference 6073 in 1956, some feel that stainless cheapens the brand. Some feel that the fonts and dial layouts are too simplistic or too cluttered. Some have felt that the date model of the 56 line which does not have an in-house movement is bad. I feel that this watch fills so many of my wishes for a complete collection that I can enjoy to the fullest. I saw my very first Fifty-Six in 2019 and really felt it was a great fit for me. I have looked at the Overseas for a long time and just could never decide to buy. Another stainless-steel sports watch on a bracelet was not really what I needed, just what I wanted.

The Fifty-Six at this point for me starts off by being very comfortable, a great size for my wrist at 40mm, light in weight but heavy on specs, complications and looks. It is a watch that can be dress, sport, casual, sophisticated . . . what else could someone want? It certainly does not hurt that blue is my favorite color and probably why I did not buy the silver dial the two times I had seen it previously.

I began searching for an Annual Calendar (or complete calendar) by focusing on the Patek 5205g, a watch I would still like to own. However, the Fifty-Six was 40% of the cost of the Patek and while one could debate Patek vs Vacheron, white gold vs stainless etc., at this point in my life and collection the Vacheron was a perfect and timely pickup.

The watch is beautifully balanced, the petrol blue not as striking as the gradient dial of the Patek but very pleasing as it shines in the light but retains its overall solid color in shade. The indices are slightly small but I can read them and looking a bit longer gives me time with the watch. Polishing and finishing are top notch as expected, the Maltese Cross shape is seen at the top and bottom of the case along with 4 pusher buttons, one for each complication in this complete calendar. Day, Date, Month and Moon phase are all shown on the watch. The winding is the smoothest of any watch I have ever owned. The watch uses the manufacture caliber 2460 QCL/1, standard rate of 28,800 vph with a power reserve of 40 hours and bears the Hallmark of Geneva certification. The hands are lumed, not the indices as they are white gold. The strap is blue Mississippi alligator with a beautiful butterfly deployant clasp. The clasp itself while secure does not operate as smoothly as one would expect.

For me this brings fulfillment with an annual calendar, the Vacheron name and a more wearable piece than the one it replaced. For of the above reasons, I am thrilled with this addition and look forward to many opportunities to wear this beauty.

Thanks for reading.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 12:59 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations Brian, beautiful addition

One could argue it’s a bargain compared to the Patek, but we won’t go down that rabbit hole

Enjoy it
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 01:09 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations Brian, beautiful addition

One could argue it’s a bargain compared to the Patek, but we won’t go down that rabbit hole

Enjoy it
Thanks
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 11 November 2021, 05:39 AM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Very beautiful. Congratulations and wear in good health.
Old 11 November 2021, 01:46 PM   #5
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Enjoyed your write up, definitely took me a on a journey. Congrats and wear it in health!
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2021, 01:05 AM   #6
Newyokie
"TRF" Member

Placed an order with an AD yesterday for an exact same watch and I really enjoyed your write up as I can relate in many areas. Congrats.
Newyokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2021, 04:55 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyokie View Post
Placed an order with an AD yesterday for an exact same watch and I really enjoyed your write up as I can relate in many areas. Congrats.
Thanks, hope you enjoy yours!
Old 3 December 2021, 03:42 AM   #8
PaulRP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Cartier
Beautiful piece. Great review
PaulRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 03:34 AM   #9
Rzani
Banned

Watch: BLRO
I had these.Nice piece!
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 07:17 PM   #10
Apollo1218
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 1314
Great review. Thanks
Apollo1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 06:34 AM   #11
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Just received this same watch and it’s a beauty. Still think VC made a mistake with the base model but the 56 line is solid with one of the nicest cases I have seen, rivaling that of the 5205.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 12:20 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Just received this same watch and it’s a beauty. Still think VC made a mistake with the base model but the 56 line is solid with one of the nicest cases I have seen, rivaling that of the 5205.
Agreed, I agonized over the 5205g but the Vacheron is a great watch with a great history at less than half the cost.