The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2022, 06:56 PM   #31
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

good to read that most of you seem to like the new models!

one of the three sizes should make a decent fit for every taste (and wrist size) - the Navitimer 43 wears very comfortably, 2.07mm of the published height are needed for the high "double domed" sapphire crystal, the metal case (ca. 11.6mm high at top of bezel) is about 11% slimmer than the previous model.

note that the "43" refers to the bezel diameter (which is 42.8mm to be precise), the case itself has a diameter of 41mm.

lugs are a bit shorter too, worth trying them on:
Navitimer 41: 47.1mm
Navitimer 43: 49.1mm
Navitimer 46: 51.9mm

Now to the WP-rating: Yes, as Driver8 says, we did look at several options to produce the Navitimer with a higher WP rating, but none of the prototypes offered a solution - you either lose the basic functionality of the Navitimer, a pilot's toolwatch with an E6B "Flight Computer" slide rule that allows you to calculate complex operations comfortably and quickly ("setting crowns" make that so slow and cumbersome that the slide rule turns into a decoration only), or you change the design of the Navitimer with a geared inner bezel like the EPSA Piquerez case of the "Pizza" Navitimers. This added 7mm in diameter in the past, we could reduce that to a bit more than 5mm today, but we'd still end up with something that's not a "classic" Navitimer, no matter how hard we try.

here's a schematic of that "geared concentric bezel/sliderule":

classic Navitimer schematic (2010 Navitimer 01)

and classic/pizza Navitimer (1969 models - but we'd end up with something very similar today)

WatchFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 02:33 PM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Thoughtful post as usual Fred

Not gonna lie I might end up adding one regardless of how much I love my 1959 lol

If Fred can have dozens I can have two lol
Old 5 April 2022, 04:19 PM   #33
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Thanks Fred! Seeing those real measurements it makes complete sense why the new Navis wear a little smaller than their stated diameter would suggest. I have a 6.75” wrist and the 43 is perfect.

Fantastic job on these. I love the applied AOPA wings, too.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2022, 06:35 AM   #34
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Thanks for sharing, Fred. Such a rich history and it's nice to see these vintage models / reissued pieces.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 02:12 AM   #35
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchFred View Post
...one of the three sizes should make a decent fit for every taste (and wrist size) - the Navitimer 43* wears very comfortably...Now to the WP-rating...
T4S, Fred I think many don't consider the "inner bezel" construction and assume it's due to crystal or case seals (as might be the case for other watches with lower WR/WP.) Please consider spreading these facts on the usual FB Groups as well as IG

~~~

*Considering either the Reverse or Silver Panda in 43mm - had the rev. on the wrist already, just waiting to see the silver before making the call...

'Till then I've got this one most awesome 806RE on the wrist today

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 03:13 AM   #36
OTX
"TRF" Member

Hello Fred. Thank you like always for your insightful feedback!. I saw the new Navitimer yesterday and they look real nice. Probably buying one soon. Do you know if the dial is still made out of silver using the epargne method?. Also, do you know if the new logo is 18k gold like the previous models?. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchFred View Post
good to read that most of you seem to like the new models!

one of the three sizes should make a decent fit for every taste (and wrist size) - the Navitimer 43 wears very comfortably, 2.07mm of the published height are needed for the high "double domed" sapphire crystal, the metal case (ca. 11.6mm high at top of bezel) is about 11% slimmer than the previous model.

note that the "43" refers to the bezel diameter (which is 42.8mm to be precise), the case itself has a diameter of 41mm.

lugs are a bit shorter too, worth trying them on:
Navitimer 41: 47.1mm
Navitimer 43: 49.1mm
Navitimer 46: 51.9mm

Now to the WP-rating: Yes, as Driver8 says, we did look at several options to produce the Navitimer with a higher WP rating, but none of the prototypes offered a solution - you either lose the basic functionality of the Navitimer, a pilot's toolwatch with an E6B "Flight Computer" slide rule that allows you to calculate complex operations comfortably and quickly ("setting crowns" make that so slow and cumbersome that the slide rule turns into a decoration only), or you change the design of the Navitimer with a geared inner bezel like the EPSA Piquerez case of the "Pizza" Navitimers. This added 7mm in diameter in the past, we could reduce that to a bit more than 5mm today, but we'd still end up with something that's not a "classic" Navitimer, no matter how hard we try.

here's a schematic of that "geared concentric bezel/sliderule":

classic Navitimer schematic (2010 Navitimer 01)

and classic/pizza Navitimer (1969 models - but we'd end up with something very similar today)

OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 12:54 PM   #37
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
...Considering either the Reverse or Silver Panda in 43mm - had the rev. on the wrist already, just waiting to see the silver before making the call...
Got the call Decisions, decisions 🤔

They are both damned good-looking, with the rev. 🐼 taking on the traditional Breitling tool-watch look 🔧, where as the silver&black has a more stylish & contemporary look to it 👔

Both also have their (minor) drawbacks; the standard-white datewheel clashes with the silvery sub-register, mainly thanks to the deep, cookie-cutter style window; SS hands* on black sub-registers means poor legibility in low lighting conditions 😕

*ditto for SS hands & markers on a black dial, but #SuperLuminova saves the day (& night 😁)

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 23 April 2022, 10:00 PM   #38
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watches. I just picked up the silver dial yesterday. It was all I could do not to get the black dial as it is almost perfect to me. I have so many black dial watches though I thought I would mix it up a bit.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2022, 11:53 AM   #39
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Nice watches. I just picked up the silver dial yesterday. It was all I could do not to get the black dial as it is almost perfect to me. I have so many black dial watches though I thought I would mix it up a bit.
Congrats, sir
Good choice & sound logic in said choice

Enjoy & wear it in good health!
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 24 April 2022, 09:50 PM   #40
1William