The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 April 2022, 03:42 AM   #31
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I still want one. Would like to get one for wifey, too. I don't get wrapped up in hype, though, nor do I pay much attention to the socials. Waited a year to get Sistem51s. Figure I can do the same with these.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 04:31 AM   #32
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I own 1 Swatch that I bought just because it was a collaboration with a tattoo artist. I wore it once then put it back in the box forever. As much as I love the design and the fun of it, it feels like a piece of trash. Having said that, the MoonSwatch never really appealed to me as I am sure it also feels like a piece of trash. Fun campaign, and as a marketing professional, I applaud Swatch and Omega for this release the same way I applaud Supreme for being able to sell a brick to idiots, but as a watch person, I couldn't care less.
Old 12 April 2022, 04:32 AM   #33
Enzo954
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdownunder View Post
Never had any interest.

I collect watches not plastic rubbish that ends up in landfill when the electronics fail
So much anger. FYI...The electronics can be replaced. Apparently the crystal can be removed to repair or replace the movement.
Enzo954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 06:04 AM   #34
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Sorry, never was interested and never will be. Never bought a Swatch in my life. No need to start now. Not angry. I just don't buy junk and sorry but they are junk, no matter what logo was on them.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 06:43 AM   #35
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think Watches and Wonders sort of took our minds off of the MoonSwatch craze for a bit, but I am still interested in picking one up at some point. I 100% promise you I won't pay one dime of markup though.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 12:07 AM   #36
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
Sorry, never was interested and never will be. Never bought a Swatch in my life. No need to start now. Not angry. I just don't buy junk and sorry but they are junk, no matter what logo was on them.
Of course they are low cost quartz plastic case watches. I don't consider them junk because I am not comparing them to a steel case auto.

I don't need one and will only buy one if they become available online.

The reason for my interest is because I love Speedmasters, own several and see the MoonSwatch as a neat little wearable Speedmaster related trinket...nothing more. It's about the same to me as the scale model of a favorite car that I have on a shelf in my office.

It's $260 FFS, people spend twice that much on little leather travel cases for their 3 Rolexes.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 01:47 AM   #37
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post

It's $260 FFS, people spend twice that much on little leather travel cases for their 3 Rolexes.

Or twice that. I have seen some that go in 4 figures....
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 01:51 AM   #38
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Of course they are low cost quartz plastic case watches. I don't consider them junk because I am not comparing them to a steel case auto.

I don't need one and will only buy one if they become available online.

The reason for my interest is because I love Speedmasters, own several and see the MoonSwatch as a neat little wearable Speedmaster related trinket...nothing more. It's about the same to me as the scale model of a favorite car that I have on a shelf in my office.

I agree 100%. I have been watching tons of reviews on YouTube and have been reading a lot of the watch reviews over the last couple of weeks. Everyone says the same thing. Let's just relax. It's meant to be fun and it's also meant to generate interest in watches among people who may have never bought a watch before, or who only think of something such as an Apple watch or Garmin. They are thinking that this could not only create renewed interest in watches, but it will also cause some wearers to like it enough to then aspire to want to purchase the real Speedy.

It's not meant to replace it, it's not going to cannibalize anything, it's nowhere even close to a real one, and that's not even the point. In fact, interest in the real Speedy has already increased because of this promotion. This is a cheap and fun watch and it feels just like it sounds. The reviewers all say don't even think about paying a penny over retail for it because it's soooo not worth it, plus it will be a regularly stocked item very soon. Also, they say you should look to replace the strap right away because it's crap.

I love stuff like this and I plan to get the Pluto to have fun with until I eventually get a real Speedy, after my Rolex collection is complete. We all take ourselves so seriously here in the watch forums. This is just pure fun.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 03:05 PM   #39
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
So I just received mine today. Ordered it from StockX for $447. With customs fees, shipping, etc...it was just over $500. I really wanted the pluto and these were regularly selling on stockX for under $500. Here in Seoul, there are literally people lining up at the swatch store everyday hoping for a restock...so I didn't think I was going to be able to get one at retail anytime in the near future. And ~$500 was my own price point. Hell I know I've wasted more on dumber stuff. Once these become more readily available I plan on picking up other models that I like (Uranus, Mars, Neptune).

Like the previous poster said...these are fun watches. Nothing more, nothing less. Ironically I planned on getting a speedy, specifically the new 57 model. I even left my info at an AD to call when they get them in stock. A couple days after I ordered the moonswatch, they called me to let me know they received the green dial version...and I passed. So the moonswatch scratched the itch I had for the time being...and saved me almost $9K (or at least that's what I tell myself ).

And of course, here's the wrist shot.

And the original strap is indeed crap. It's thick and stiff...and the strap with the loop is way too short so it sticks way out.

So I swapped it out with an Erika's Original that wasn't being used.

dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 03:18 PM   #40
PekWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

tattooed by Swatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I thought it was neat at first and was prepared to buy the Mission to the Moon version when it was announced. However, after the release and chaos, I went in another direction. Ended up putting that money towards a Seiko "King Samurai" and have zero desire for one of these anymore.

I'm not fully against the concept, I think it's cool and good for the younger enthusiast. However, a bit disappointing with the quality issues, especially with the Omega brand on the dial.

Different strokes for different folks, and I'm no longer interested for my own personal reasons.

The version below (and potentially others as well) have been transfering dye to the wrists of owners. Swatch claims it's non-toxic, however, there's nothing good about this happening.

I figured in time it would be possible but for it to happen so soon to me was a bit shocking.

PekWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 08:59 PM   #41
BendyBee
"TRF" Member

I'll get a few for the kids.
BendyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 09:21 PM   #42
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
But, frankly, why on earth pay even a cent more than the list price for a watch to be produced in millions of copies?
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 11:24 PM   #43
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Should Omega offer therapy to all the people worried about the grave damage to the Omega brand? It seems that many are pretty distraught and need to talk to someone.

zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 12:56 AM   #44
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Should Omega offer therapy to all the people worried about the grave damage to the Omega brand? It seems that many are pretty distraught and need to talk to someone.

Yes, pass round the smelling salts.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 03:06 AM   #45
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin525 View Post

So I swapped it out with an Erika's Original that wasn't being used.

Nice choice of watch and strap. Pluto is one of my top picks if I ever actually get a chance to pick out a MoonSwatch. Looks really good, congrats

Hoping to look at Mercury as well. Can't decide if I want that darth vader look or a lighter color like you Pluto. Might just wind up with both.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 11:55 PM   #46
colpol
"TRF" Member

My daughters just been into the swatch shop in Edinburgh for me again & still no stock of the moon swatches.

Still seem to be plenty on the resale site …….
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:45 AM   #47
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Never had any interest.

I collect watches not plastic rubbish that ends up in landfill when the electronics fail
Agree. Embarrassing that Omega put it's name on this thing. Buy a G-Shock, you will be better off at half the price IMHO
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 03:09 AM   #48
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Never had any interest.

Exactly. Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 04:33 AM   #49
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I grew up wearing swatch and own a system 51. However, I can’t fathom why someone would want a plastic quartz moonswatch. They look so bad. Why they didn’t use the swatch automatic (instead of quartz) and spend any amount of time on this product is beyond me… Must have sent all their budget on marketing.

But hey, people like watches with fake patina lume and date window’s at 4:30 too, so cheers to whatever floats your boat!
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 07:55 AM   #50
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Perfect travel watch imo. Will get one, but not in a rush … its just a watch
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:26 AM   #51
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I am going to be in NYC next week. Any idea if the Swatch shops with have the MoonSwatch in stock?

Looking for the Moon (or Mercury).
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 12:43 PM   #52
watchik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I am going to be in NYC next week. Any idea if the Swatch shops with have the MoonSwatch in stock?

Looking for the Moon (or Mercury).

I can ensure you it will be out of stock - Omega is trying to play the Roles game..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
watchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 01:34 AM   #53
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuselierpa View Post
definitely will buy one or two, when i don’t have to stand in line or pay a premium for them.
+1
rockmastermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 09:01 PM   #54
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I was interested upon release but have cooled on it now. I guess it will be a wait and see for me for now.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2022, 09:23 PM   #55
Andad

Watch: A few.
I live in Oz Alfredo.

Haven’t seen one yet.

Probably never will.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 07:07 AM   #56
jtorrebl

Watch: what’s next.
MoonSwatch Fiasco...

I got one. It’s fun and light. Comfortable. Here with a nato. It makes me want a 2021 sapphire sandwich now. Next watch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 12:34 AM   #57
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I thought it was neat at first and was prepared to buy the Mission to the Moon version when it was announced. However, after the release and chaos, I went in another direction. Ended up putting that money towards a Seiko "King Samurai" and have zero desire for one of these anymore.

I'm not fully against the concept, I think it's cool and good for the younger enthusiast. However, a bit disappointing with the quality issues, especially with the Omega brand on the dial.

Different strokes for different folks, and I'm no longer interested for my own personal reasons.

The version below (and potentially others as well) have been transfering dye to the wrists of owners. Swatch claims it's non-toxic, however, there's nothing good about this happening.

I figured in time it would be possible but for it to happen so soon to me was a bit shocking.

This must be why Neptune is in such short supply. I have been told by a Swatch employee who works in Europe, that his store has sold thousands of every other model, but only six Neptune. He said he had no insider information, but he believed there was an issue with the ceramic in that color. That it was to hard to make, or not able to be made correctly.

Seeing these issues with the color bleeding to the arm, makes me believe he is correct.

In my industry we do a lot with Polymers. Not all Polymers work with all color compounds. The color is an impurity, and can lead to all types of troubles.

Here is a picture of polymer mixed with a black impurity. This mix results in perfectly black injection molded parts. Doesn't take much impurity to turn polymer from translucent to black. Doesn't take much of the wrong compound to turn a strong polymer into a piece of worthless trash. I assume the same goes for Ceramic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackpolymer.jpg (55.4 KB, 104 views)
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:47 AM   #58
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by PekWatchGuy View Post
tattooed by Swatch
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
But, frankly, why on earth pay even a cent more than the list price for a watch to be produced in millions of copies?
I don't understand it either, and guess it's just what's common now in the industry. This very thing put me off of my once favourite brand. Lack of availability online (if still true) is one factor, as not all live close enough to a Swatch store or if they do don't wish to wait / keep going in only to be told what they want isn't available.

If they had purchase limits that could have been a catalyst, as I seem to recall it being 2 per customer somewhere. For individuals trying to collect all, with only certain models in stock it was inevitable.

Great in some ways (if you're Swatch) but bad in others. Personally I like to avoid brands with too much buzz around them. Just hoping all who wish to collect these are able to easily obtain them from Swatch directly without too much hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
This must be why Neptune is in such short supply. I have been told by a Swatch employee who works in Europe, that his store has sold thousands of every other model, but only six Neptune. He said he had no insider information, but he believed there was an issue with the ceramic in that color. That it was to hard to make, or not able to be made correctly.

Seeing these issues with the color bleeding to the arm, makes me believe he is correct.

In my industry we do a lot with Polymers. Not all Polymers work with all color compounds. The color is an impurity, and can lead to all types of troubles.

Here is a picture of polymer mixed with a black impurity. This mix results in perfectly black injection molded parts. Doesn't take much impurity to turn polymer from translucent to black. Doesn't take much of the wrong compound to turn a strong polymer into a piece of worthless trash. I assume the same goes for Ceramic.
Great information, thanks for sharing! I can see how or why it was so challenging. Definitely fascinating given the ratio of clear pellets in your image vs. pellets with black colouring.

I'm sure improvements can be made in time, as with any other industry or as we've seen with watches throughout the decades. Only time will tell though, and it will be interesting to see how well the others hold up as time passes.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 04:33 PM   #59
alllexandru

MoonSwatch Fiasco...

I’m tired generally by the artificial hype some watchmakers are doing lately.

These shortages and instagram craziness feed with buyers money.

Really missing the days when everything was on display for you to enjoy, try and buy at your choice

Maybe some day…
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 01:38 PM   #60
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
MoonSwatch Fiasco...

Well don’t think it’s a fiasco as understand the Moonswatch increased the sales of Omega Speedmaster. They are cool looking, but as with any other watch, YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote