The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 May 2022, 05:32 AM   #1
nbask
"TRF" Member

NYC Boutique Referral

I am a true watch lover and have been looking to get an Audemars Piguet ever since beginning my professional career. I am finally in a position to be able to afford my dream watch and have been looking to mark a career milestone with my first piece, the white dial 15500 for going on 1 year now. This will certainly become my everyday watch that I will wear with me for life.

I understand these are unprecedented times and I would truly appreciate beyond words if there is anyone who frequents the NYC boutique that may be in a position to put in a good word on my behalf. I've heard some miracles about referrals from TRF paying off. I am a rather young individual and have seemingly built up a great relationship with the boutique over the past year. This being said, I am not in a position to purchase a Code in order to try and move up the waitlist.

I truly appreciate the forum and anyone who may be willing to assist. Happy to further discuss my situation and talk about my love for all watches!
nbask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 06:39 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
NYC Boutique Referral

Shoot your shot
Old 13 May 2022, 06:53 AM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

As GB Man says, take your shot.

Visit the NYC boutique. Must be in person inquiry.

Also the search function is your friend to see how these things play out. One fellow Aspen based member has an instructive recent experience.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 07:06 AM   #4
Xtreme123
Banned

I think referrals would be for family and friends you know well, not a stranger off a forum
Xtreme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 11:57 AM   #5
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
If i were you i’d go to an ap boutique, intro yourself and get your name in their system asap. Then cross your fingers.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 02:57 AM   #6
nbask
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate the advice. To clarify, I have been registered with the NYC boutique for 1 year now. I seem to have a solid relationship with the boutique and do frequently stop in, just hoping for a call sometime soon. With the 50th anniversary release this doesn’t look likely. I was hoping someone with an established relationship may be willing to put in a good word.
nbask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 05:20 AM   #7
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbask View Post
I really appreciate the advice. To clarify, I have been registered with the NYC boutique for 1 year now. I seem to have a solid relationship with the boutique and do frequently stop in, just hoping for a call sometime soon. With the 50th anniversary release this doesn’t look likely. I was hoping someone with an established relationship may be willing to put in a good word.
It's a nice idea, but this year of all years it's not going to help you. In past years a nice intro from a fellow TRFer may have helped a little, but not for this year's 50th RO models, sorry.

Keep doing what you are doing and keep everything crossed.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 11:34 PM   #8
CAWatchLove
Banned

Share your personal details and interests with them.

If you are into Broadway, ballet, and surrounded around exclusive elite circles in society and can prove this I think it would increase your chances. Be honest and transparent with them while building the relationship.

These are the best tips I can give.

Good luck
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 04:51 AM   #9
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Ive waited over 3 years and got 0
If they like you, you will get something
If they don't you just wait like me haha
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 08:06 AM   #10
Images and Words
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWatchLove View Post
Share your personal details and interests with them.

If you are into Broadway, ballet, and surrounded around exclusive elite circles in society and can prove this I think it would increase your chances. Be honest and transparent with them while building the relationship.

These are the best tips I can give.

Good luck
I’ve got no idea what wows individual sales associates, but I would guess they see a ton of pretentiousness and name dropping in NYC. Maybe you can say you used to hang out with Anna Delvey? If not, ballet may have to do. They sold me a watch and didn’t mind my love for heavy metal. So there you go…
Images and Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 08:25 AM   #11
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Images and Words View Post
I’ve got no idea what wows individual sales associates, but I would guess they see a ton of pretentiousness and name dropping in NYC. Maybe you can say you used to hang out with Anna Delvey? If not, ballet may have to do. They sold me a watch and didn’t mind my love for heavy metal. So there you go…
Should the goal even be to "impress" an SA? They are regular folks like some of us here. I would say to think about all the things that would suck about their job and try not to make those things worse. Then think about the great things about their jobs and try to give them more good moments. They may seem like the gate keepers to your dreams, but AP doesn't pay them millions or incentivize them to pick the most pretentious person that will show off the watch at the coolest places.

It sure seems to me that with some brand ambassador exceptions...they truly want to sell watches to people that love the brand and have passion for watches. Passion for the same people they have passion for...the artisans that design and build these watches. AP is a company that is supporting the livelihoods of many people in a small village in Switzerland. People that work hard and are proud of what they make. Proud of their history, etc. The person assembling your dream watch probably doesn't care one bit about how cool you will look on Instagram or at a dinner party.

Sure, they like their job security and AP being hot right now helps with that, but I am sure they care most about providing for their families and being proud of all their hard work.

Just my opinion though.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 01:57 PM   #12
BobtheBaby
"TRF" Member

Amen. Some people make so much about trying to impress, or be perceived a certain way. I have found it is so much better received to just be honest and make a genuine human connection. Most people who are truly impressive in their own right so not need feel the need to make a big show of it. You have to think most of these SAs have seen it all and can see through BS a mile away. I am not going for any ‘impossible’ allocations, but that is how I see it.
BobtheBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 04:25 AM   #13
Images and Words
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Should the goal even be to "impress" an SA? They are regular folks like some of us here. I would say to think about all the things that would suck about their job and try not to make those things worse. Then think about the great things about their jobs and try to give them more good moments. They may seem like the gate keepers to your dreams, but AP doesn't pay them millions or incentivize them to pick the most pretentious person that will show off the watch at the coolest places.

It sure seems to me that with some brand ambassador exceptions...they truly want to sell watches to people that love the brand and have passion for watches. Passion for the same people they have passion for...the artisans that design and build these watches. AP is a company that is supporting the livelihoods of many people in a small village in Switzerland. People that work hard and are proud of what they make. Proud of their history, etc. The person assembling your dream watch probably doesn't care one bit about how cool you will look on Instagram or at a dinner party.

Sure, they like their job security and AP being hot right now helps with that, but I am sure they care most about providing for their families and being proud of all their hard work.

Just my opinion though.
Oh yea, I was being sarcastic…
Images and Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 10:26 AM   #14
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
That botique is one of the worst experiences I've ever had in retail, let alone high end watches. They are severe snobs, and they act like the place is a hot night club or something. I'd rather go to an AD
speedyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 11:59 AM   #15
CAWatchLove
Banned

Just be ready to prove you are societies most elite, or closely surrounded by them.
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 03:22 AM   #16
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyomega View Post
That botique is one of the worst experiences I've ever had in retail, let alone high end watches. They are severe snobs, and they act like the place is a hot night club or something. I'd rather go to an AD

There isn't really any AD anymore...other than maybe the hybrid Material Good/Boutique style thing in NYC.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote