The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 March 2022, 01:33 PM   #1
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Is the 5205g-013 that desirable?

I have a relatively solid history with my AD. In the past two years I’ve bought two complications, a Nautilus as well as a Twenty 4 for my wife. Yesterday, I dropped in to view the display-only 5205g at the window and was spellbound by the elegant blue dial and scalloped lugs.

When I expressed my interest to my usual SA, she mentioned that it’s quite impossible to get it. I reassured her that I don’t mind waiting, but she refused to even register my interest for the watch, recommending that I look at other pieces instead. Her discouraging response left me rather taken aback, and I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience in relation to this particular reference.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 01:59 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
My AD said most dress watches are now waitlisted because people are pairing or accumulating these watches for sport Patek. The 5205 is selling well before the current craze, and I'm not surprised it is one of the hotter ones now. I was also told all the dress watches, including the traditionally less popular 5327, have a waiting list. I doubt my AD is lying because I already got several Nautilus and I'm not looking for more in the near future.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 02:28 PM   #3
macplee
"TRF" Member

went to PP AD this wknd - and for the first time was empty a la AP/Rolex - even during last fall they had dress watches available. I wore my 5205-013 to the store - the sales person said they have had one of these come in since last summer. this is a big AD in LA
macplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 03:56 PM   #4
bund
"TRF" Member

same here! Went into local AD here and whole Patek section only had 3 watches. Was my first time in an AD in 2 years. Kinda crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2022, 07:59 PM   #5
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Didn’t realize that even dress watches have been caught up in the recent craze. Since this is the case I’ll just sit back and enjoy what I currently own. Thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 14 March 2022, 11:10 PM   #6
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

I just got my 5205G-013. It really is a great dress piece. Annual calendar, lumed hands, great dial, good legibility. Checks all of the boxes.
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 02:38 AM   #7
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I was pretty shocked to see some of the prices recently and was quite taken back myself when I scrolled through a facebook group and saw a listing of a BNIB for $71,000 USD. Keep in mind, its just an ask and not necessarily an indicaiton of the market but that's a crazy price.

I had to double take on a few places (including the infamous chrono24) and some are in that price range as well. Whether sales are actually happening at that level or not is TBD.

Either way, guess its a win for me on my 5205R now? lol.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 03:09 AM   #8
nickcpl
"TRF" Member

this has long been an underrated piece. market now catching up but still good value i'd say. get in now if you can as i can only see it going one way as dress watches climb.
nickcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2022, 10:16 AM   #9
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcpl View Post
this has long been an underrated piece. market now catching up but still good value i'd say. get in now if you can as i can only see it going one way as dress watches climb.
I’ve never bought a watch gray as I want my name on the papers, and I’m happy to wait for the market to cool down.
Old 15 March 2022, 11:10 AM   #10
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
My AD showed me one in November that they were holding for another customer. They told me if I liked it, they could likely get me one in a few months. I didn’t ask for it, but had a change of heart last week and told them I wanted it. They said they now have no idea if/when it might become available. I have bought two PP dress watches from them in the last year, so have a purchase history. Kicking myself for not jumping on the list last November, though not sure it would have helped. Good luck!
SoylentGreenChi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2022, 05:26 PM   #11
Slumdogg
"TRF" Member

Got mine about a year ago after a 6 month wait. Was wearing it while buying some jewelry recently and my AD said it's gotten to be one of if not the most popular dress watch in the line. They say green is the new blue but who knows
Slumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2022, 06:43 AM   #12
italiafan
"TRF" Member

I have a 5205G-013 and adore it! My favorite watch, even more so than my 5726. Last year my AD contacted me to see if I wanted a 5905R and at that time I declined. Now I am really really kicking myself because I have fallen in love with the 5905R and I’ll only buy my watches from ADs. Damn!
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2022, 07:09 AM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
I have a relatively solid history with my AD. In the past two years I’ve bought two complications, a Nautilus as well as a Twenty 4 for my wife. Yesterday, I dropped in to view the display-only 5205g at the window and was spellbound by the elegant blue dial and scalloped lugs.

When I expressed my interest to my usual SA, she mentioned that it’s quite impossible to get it. I reassured her that I don’t mind waiting, but she refused to even register my interest for the watch, recommending that I look at other pieces instead. Her discouraging response left me rather taken aback, and I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience in relation to this particular reference.
maybe it's because its on the run out list and discontinued or maybe I am wrong and it's only the two R versions that were discontinued unsure :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2022, 02:33 AM   #14
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
maybe it's because its on the run out list and discontinued or maybe I am wrong and it's only the two R versions that were discontinued unsure :)
You make a good point. I think its a bit of two things (amongst other reasons), but with the R now gone, there is only 1 option to choose from on the 5205 (if you are buying new). Those who would've been open to both models now are funneled down to that single chose which at this point ADs only a set allocation on the number of pieces.

And in general the 5205 within the Patek line-up is not really a massed produced watch so the allocation is low.

Then you throw in a bit of FOMO, demand in the brand, etc. which in a combination of everything creates further desire for this model.
Old 18 March 2022, 04:54 AM   #15
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Sorry, i am lost and i have no idea even if 5205g-013 is that sought after.... my gosh. i always saw it in the display window before. of course, i havent walked into or even pass by those ADs as i dont want to be humiliated myself or bother the SAs. I already knew the response and answers. I approached another AD and they had 5327 in safe for me if i paid deposit, I passed eventually.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2022, 06:25 AM   #16
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
You make a good point. I think its a bit of two things (amongst other reasons), but with the R now gone, there is only 1 option to choose from on the 5205 (if you are buying new). Those who would've been open to both models now are funneled down to that single chose which at this point ADs only a set allocation on the number of pieces.

And in general the 5205 within the Patek line-up is not really a massed produced watch so the allocation is low.

Then you throw in a bit of FOMO, demand in the brand, etc. which in a combination of everything creates further desire for this model.
double checked the run out list from my AD it appears its really only the R versions that have been discontinued - seems like you are spot on...
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 07:58 PM   #17
ade
"TRF" Member

Watch: depends on my mood
And the 5205R is baaaaccckkk!

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...ions/5205R-011
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 09:05 PM   #18
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Hopefully, this will take some pressure off the waiting list of the G. I have been eyeing it for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 01:25 AM   #19
lbj_19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Saw this in person, I would say for now it is a hard pass. I like green watches but omega did a better job with their finish. I think its just not suited for dress watches.
lbj_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 05:05 AM   #20
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj_19 View Post
Saw this in person, I would say for now it is a hard pass. I like green watches but omega did a better job with their finish. I think its just not suited for dress watches.
I think if Patek went with a "J" yellow gold metal with the green dial it would have actually been even better. But overall, it was a decent addition imo.
Old 21 May 2022, 06:56 AM   #21
JMac6
"TRF" Member

With this one, I think the answer is easy - it was the best looking "gettable" watch. Buy the 5205G-013 to start a relationship. Add another, more desirable watch. Get a sports Patek. This is the path that I took, and I am sure I am not alone.

Also, from what I understand, it is fairly limited (just as most Pateks are). My AD has not seen one since mine was delivered last September.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote