The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2022, 05:05 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
To you left handers… or those that wear your watch on your right wrist…

I am still trying to understand the reasoning Rolex has for introducing the “left-handed” GMT. So, serious question for your left handed people, or those that prefer to wear their Rolex on their right wrist:

Is it such a big deal to have the crown on “higher” (closer to the elbow) side? I mean, I guess it makes sense, easier to access, but is it really that big a deal? Is it so inconvenient that you are satisfied (happy, thrilled) that Rolex created this model?

I know some left handed people and some right handers that still prefer to wear it on their right wrist and it just didn’t seem to be such an inconvenience, certainly I don’t think the demand would be extreme for a crown-out left hander…. ?

But then, what do I know?

TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 05:13 AM   #2
dukie748
"TRF" Member

To me, it's not a big deal as such - but given the chance to wear a watch created purposely for those of us who wear on the 'right' wrist is a nice option - and unlike the majority I love the look of the VTNR.

So much so I'd happily swap my BLRO for one...
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 05:20 AM   #3
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I have carpal tunnel on my right wrist so now I’m forced to wear my watches on my left wrist.

Oh wait, I’ve always worn watches on my left wrist.

I would be interested in this watch if I can get past where the date is located. I have left side crown dive watches so not completely unusual to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2022, 05:22 AM   #4
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
I’m also a righty…..its nice to have the crown side protected.
Own one destro watch only…..and that one goes on the left wrist…..
Old 20 May 2022, 05:43 AM   #5
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
i actually like the crown higher up, on my right arm
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 05:53 AM   #6
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Left handed, at least for writing (otherwise, my right hand is dominant); have always worn a watch on my right wrist. I'm completely used to it and if I need to adjust the crown, I just take off the watch, say to adjust the time.

With chronographs, I'm used to reaching around the case with the left hand to actuate the pushers. That, too, seems "normal".

So, if you asked me, "Hey, do you need a 'left handed' GMT?", I'd have said no. In fact, my first Rolex was a GMT Master II, red/black bezel...and, again, I'm used to using it as described above.

Like many here, I find the look of the new GMT left hand version a bit startling. The crown is on the wrong side! And the date window...on the wrong side of the dial!

Of course, my "normal", my sense of what's "right" is simply what I'm accustomed to, after wearing watches since childhood...

I'd like to see this new watch in person, try it on, see if the change of crown position would, in fact, be a practical thing for me. For example, on a flight, to change the hour hand, without taking the watch off...would that be really useful or not? Since I'm used to just slipping the watch off, adjusting the hour hand, then strapping the watch back on, I don't think anything of it. But, maybe, after trying the alternative, I'll discover, "hey, that is kind of handy" (pun intended).

I also like the color scheme of the new GMT. I expect I could, in time, get used to the mirror image GMT as a "new normal".

It's not a big priority for me, and while I mentioned interest in the new Datejust 36 with mint dial to an AD, I did not ask about the GMT. However, if I saw one in person, and really liked it, who knows? Maybe I'd try to acquire one at some point.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 06:17 AM   #7
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I have carpal tunnel on my right wrist so now I’m forced to wear my watches on my left wrist.

Oh wait, I’ve always worn watches on my left wrist.

I would be interested in this watch if I can get past where the date is located. I have left side crown dive watches so not completely unusual to me.

Looks amazing on your wrist!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 07:12 AM   #8
AAAAAlex
"TRF" Member

I want it more for the position of the date than the crown. That date position is much better for a watch worn on my right wrist than the usual 3 o'clock position.
AAAAAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 07:15 AM   #9
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
I guess I'm ambidextrous: I write with my right hand; pitch with my left, play guitar in the usual (non-Paul-McCartney) fashion, wear my watch on the right wrist. Can't get used to the feel or idea of wearing a watch on my left wrist. I've tried--it just feels wrong.

And here's the thing: I couldn't possibly give 2 sh!t$ about this new GMT. I'm used to the crown pointing up-arm---that feels normal to me. That's how I want it. If Rolex had asked my opinion---as a member of the marginalized lefty community (a description I probably fit in more than one way) they seem to be catering to---I'd have told them not to bother with this and to make a 38mm Sub or GMT instead. I'd much rather have a watch that's built for my wrist-size (6.75") rather than my wrist-location.

I mean... who's setting or winding their watches on-wrist anyway? What difference does it make whether the crown faces hand-wise or elbow-wise?
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 07:16 AM   #10
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
Looks amazing on your wrist!
If offered, I'll take it. This one was an exhibition watch at a Rolex W&W 2022 event. Fun trying on all the different models!!
Old 20 May 2022, 07:18 AM   #11
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
I guess I'm ambidextrous: I write with my right hand; pitch with my left, play guitar in the usual (non-Paul-McCartney) fashion, wear my watch on the right wrist. Can't get used to the feel or idea of wearing a watch on my left wrist. I've tried--it just feels wrong.

And here's the thing: I couldn't possibly give 2 sh!t$ about this new GMT. I'm used to the crown pointing up-arm---that feels normal to me. That's how I want it. If Rolex had asked my opinion---as a member of the marginalized lefty community (a description I probably fit in more than one way) they seem to be catering to---I'd have told them not to bother with this and to make a 38mm Sub or GMT instead. I'd much rather have a watch that's built for my wrist-size (6.75") rather than my wrist-location.

I mean... who's setting or winding their watches on-wrist anyway? What difference does it make whether the crown faces hand-wise or elbow-wise?
You make good very good points.
Old 20 May 2022, 07:20 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Is it such a big deal to have the crown on “higher” (closer to the elbow) side? I mean, I guess it makes sense, easier to access, but is it really that big a deal?
I am right handed and wear a watch on my right wrist. I switched from my left wrist when I was 18 after I broke my arms. Where the crown is doesn't matter at all to me. I don't usually wear a watch at night. I'm usually taking one off or putting one on every day. I make adjustments, if necessary when I do this. I also run a thumb along each edge of the bracelet to check in case any screws/pins are working their way out.

I'm wearing my BLRO as I type this. I couldn't be less interested in the VTNR but if Rolex can sell them they should make them. Choice is good.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 07:22 AM   #13
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Lefty here ~ I have no problem with the crown on my forearm but will admit watches look better IMO with the crown towards one’s wrist. I like the look of the new destro GMT and think it looks MUCH better on the right arm, hence the date wheel by your wrist/shirt cuff. It just looks downright odd on the left arm…oh, wait, is that how right handers think watches look like on us lefties?!?
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 07:47 AM   #14
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
It’s made for the right wrist, hence the date window is on the left side.
Old 20 May 2022, 11:00 AM   #15
JadeRaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: panda boi
It's easier to set with your left hand.
JadeRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 11:21 AM   #16
Ensign
"TRF" Member

I’m left handed and growing up I was taught a watch is worn on the right hand.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2022, 12:02 PM   #17
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
As a lefty, all I ever knew was taking my watch off my wrist to wind or adjust the time. I never owned a destro watch, and wouldnt buy the destro GMT. It would feel odd to me.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 12:00 AM   #18
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
I’m left handed and growing up I was taught a watch is worn on the right hand.

Same here; lessens the chance of knocking the watch around too much and damaging it.

My question to the Rt. handed folks is how odd do watches look on us lefties?

I think the new GMT looks quite odd on the right arm. Maybe if there was no date or it being at the 6 o’clock position it might look better (on either arm)

JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 11:55 PM   #19
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
and yet i am pretty sure some will wear the left-handed GMT on their right wrist.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 12:05 AM   #20
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
I’m intrigued. I don’t love it. It’s nice that they consider left handed people (or anyone else) that wears a watch on their right arm.

I’m used to the standard crown position on my wrist. Changing would be odd. I love the idea of the 9 o’clock date window, it won’t hide under my sleeve as much.

I will not be a buyer.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 05:08 AM   #21
Jamiewabbit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea dweller
Lefty and wear the watch on my right. No issues. But I never tried a left handed watch before. I think I will adapt to it after awhile
Jamiewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:41 AM   #22
Maximus84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp. II 16570
I'm left handed when it comes to writing. Racquet sports, snooker/pool etc I'm right. I remember clearly getting my first watch from my grandfather, putting it on my right wrist. He told me (also a lefty) that watches were worn on the left wrist. I switched and it's been the same ever since.

I have to be a bit more careful but it's not a huge issue. The destroyer GMT looks odd to my eyes, though I guess it's neat for those who find it useful.
Maximus84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:49 AM   #23
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
I don't think I have ever set or wound a watch while on my wrist. If I bought one, it would just be a quirky toy, like a DD with Arabic days.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 08:01 AM   #24
Dazlewis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
i actually like the crown higher up, on my right arm
Me too - I’m right handed, but for some reason wear watches on my right hand - they feel wrong on my left, and I think part of that is the crown digging in when my had bends backwards!
Dazlewis is offline   Reply With Quote