The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 May 2022, 05:35 AM   #1
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
"The Start of Something"

I don't know whom he is, but he lives in Japan and he has a friend in the US with an interesting tale.

Grey Market Dealers NOT Buying Rolex Watches! (Flipping Flippers are Gonna Flip Out!)

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 06:01 AM   #2
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I could see some smaller shops not buying a lot. It all depends on inventory. If they have multiples of a watch, they are not going to get it at todays price when it could be 10% lower in a month. I would imagine offers from greys will be extremely low to leave them room for downturn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 06:15 AM   #3
pepemaui
"TRF" Member

Finance is cyclical and historical...We remember 2008 and 2013...nothing can stop global finance directions.... When we see the entry level Rolex's on shelves, the rest has been sitting already.....IMHO, that would be a late sign....

It took 2 years to get here, it may take that long to return to "normal", but it will.....Again, just an opinion based on a personal historical perspective....

Old 22 May 2022, 06:42 AM   #4
Podmornica
Banned

The ADs will be begging!
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:02 AM   #5
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

My local AD loses their franchise at the end of the year.

They offered me a couple of bits a year ago but nothing that I really wanted.

This year they said they were still getting deliveries but all were accounted for until the end of year.

I wonder if I'll get to buy one from them after all? Happy Christmas maybe? Dunno.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:27 AM   #6
gramo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarychicken View Post
My local AD loses their franchise at the end of the year.

They offered me a couple of bits a year ago but nothing that I really wanted.

This year they said they were still getting deliveries but all were accounted for until the end of year.

I wonder if I'll get to buy one from them after all? Happy Christmas maybe? Dunno.
Which ADs is this that is closing down?
gramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:29 AM   #7
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

Chichester, UK
Old 22 May 2022, 07:33 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Staying tuned.
Old 22 May 2022, 07:36 AM   #9
IR201
"TRF" Member

I'm no expert (I mean that sincerely), but wouldn't they kind of have to keep buying to stay in business? Now at what price, that's a diff Q.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 08:10 AM   #10
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I said all this all last week. The Canary in the coal mine is if you can walk into an authorized dealer and see any two-tone DateJust 41mm models in the display case. That would indicate there is some models the general public is not buying. Then maybe a SS DJ41. That is the very first indication the market is slowing down from a general public and practical point of view. Currently any and all “Rolex” models are being bought up. It isn’t until you see lower tier models actually sitting in the display case to be purchased on the spot does that start to show any change.
Old 22 May 2022, 08:31 AM   #11
fgress3969
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD - YM - BLNR
fgress3969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:02 AM   #12
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I said all this all last week. The Canary in the coal mine is if you can walk into an authorized dealer and see any two-tone DateJust 41mm models in the display case. That would indicate there is some models the general public is not buying. Then maybe a SS DJ41. That is the very first indication the market is slowing down from a general public and practical point of view. Currently any and all “Rolex” models are being bought up. It isn’t until you see lower tier models actually sitting in the display case to be purchased on the spot does that start to show any change.
Any reason the ADs would not put them back in the display, even if people were not rushing to buy them?
Old 22 May 2022, 11:31 AM   #13
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The canary in the coal mine is the greys. They feel the impact of the demand drop first. ADs are insulated by waitlists and deposits to be fulfilled. By the time there are watches in the cases the weak canaries (smaller greys) have already died and the ADs will be feeling the air being let out when there are watches in the cases. The ADs, the primary market, those are the actual people in your analogy. The canaries are all the dead flippers and backpack dealers.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 12:00 PM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Any reason the ADs would not put them back in the display, even if people were not rushing to buy them?
As long as AD’s use even the lower tier Rolex models as a insensitive to sell their undesirable jewelry, there is no reason why AD’s would ever want anything to change. This new sales technique with bundling jewelry sales with the possibility of a Rolex sale is a all new genie that is now out of the bottle. Why would the AD ever want that to change now? Rolex is selling every model they make and the AD is selling every model they need to as well as leveraging the Rolex to sell their other jewelry. Nothing needs to change and both Rolex and AD doesn’t want it to change. This is why I say until the lower tier Rolex model is put on display to buy in the display case by the AD, nothing will ever change. It’s all in the AD’s power to keep the Rolex models locked up regardless what the economy does. The AD’s always has a outlet to move their product besides in their brick and mortar stores regardless how bad the economy gets. As much as people like to point their frustrations at the grey market, they should be pointing their rage straight at the AD as it all starts with their inventory from Rolex. It isn’t Rolex selling their watches out the back door to the grey market.

Grey dealers are not even a factor in the AD world as far as their incoming inventory from Rolex. AD’s supply many of the grey market to begin with so the finger always points back to the AD as they are THE first in the chain to decide where a Rolex model ends up and how it is sold. The grey market is just a secondary factor long after the AD had first crack at the Rolex watches.
Old 22 May 2022, 12:06 PM   #15
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarychicken View Post
Chichester, UK
Surprised by that one - was in there last year, nice store - did they have any association with the store a few hundred feet down the street carrying Bremont / Breitling etc?
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 01:26 PM   #16
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As long as AD’s use even the lower tier Rolex models as a insensitive to sell their undesirable jewelry, there is no reason why AD’s would ever want anything to change. This new sales technique with bundling jewelry sales with the possibility of a Rolex sale is a all new genie that is now out of the bottle. Why would the AD ever want that to change now? Rolex is selling every model they make and the AD is selling every model they need to as well as leveraging the Rolex to sell their other jewelry. Nothing needs to change and both Rolex and AD doesn’t want it to change. This is why I say until the lower tier Rolex model is put on display to buy in the display case by the AD, nothing will ever change. It’s all in the AD’s power to keep the Rolex models locked up regardless what the economy does. The AD’s always has a outlet to move their product besides in their brick and mortar stores regardless how bad the economy gets. As much as people like to point their frustrations at the grey market, they should be pointing their rage straight at the AD as it all starts with their inventory from Rolex. It isn’t Rolex selling their watches out the back door to the grey market.

Grey dealers are not even a factor in the AD world as far as their incoming inventory from Rolex. AD’s supply many of the grey market to begin with so the finger always points back to the AD as they are THE first in the chain to decide where a Rolex model ends up and how it is sold. The grey market is just a secondary factor long after the AD had first crack at the Rolex watches.
Got it thanks!
Old 22 May 2022, 01:48 PM   #17
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

It’s just the beginning

Old 22 May 2022, 02:02 PM   #18
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I don't know whom he is, but he lives in Japan and he has a friend in the US with an interesting tale.

Grey Market Dealers NOT Buying Rolex Watches! (Flipping Flippers are Gonna Flip Out!)
You don’t know Austin?!! He’s been around for a while, he’s an interesting guy, he seems to have a good heart
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 02:16 PM   #19
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Screw the AD, I'm never buying jewelry again (although wife did appreciate it, ha ha!) Bring on the crash.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 02:30 PM   #20
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Problem is for the grey, how much do they pay.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 02:35 PM   #21
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
You don’t know Austin?!! He’s been around for a while, he’s an interesting guy, he seems to have a good heart
That was the first time I ever ran across that channel.

I'll subscribe.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 03:19 PM   #22
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
I quite like Austin Daniels' channel. He seems genuine and is knowledgable about certain pre-ceramic pieces.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:12 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Is it just me, or is he almost unbearable to listen to?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:20 PM   #24
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Interesting Grady.
Old 22 May 2022, 09:33 PM   #25
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Makes sense. We'll see where this all goes.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:58 PM   #26
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:

Good point, but if I may say so, you assume that the ADs are playing fair and showcasing the available parts.

Except I don't think so at all. I think they have enough cash to afford it and that they will continue to play the shortage game by displaying NOTHING in the window or on a drip account to maintain this atmosphere even if it means selling under the radar.

It will last a while before bursting when they will be caught up by Rolex for questionable practices or by the lack of cash.

Nevertheless I agree when I read that everything slows down, deflates.
When I see around me and even me who loves the brand more than any other material, I turn away from it, tired of it all.
I sold one of my daytona while it was time and it paid me a leisure car in cash, it's incredible.
A few weeks ago, with a Pepsi 126710 you largely furnished a house.

Hard return to reality in perspective!
Old 22 May 2022, 09:59 PM   #27
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
It’s just the beginning

+1 it will swing
Old 22 May 2022, 10:14 PM   #28
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

So when the safe is full, where will the AD keep this forecoming treasure trove of unsold references?

Never the actual window. The waste bin? Maybe a bargain bucket type arrangement with a badly hand drawn 'sale' sign.

Well we can dream for now at least.
Old 22 May 2022, 10:17 PM   #29
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Surprised by that one - was in there last year, nice store - did they have any association with the store a few hundred feet down the street carrying Bremont / Breitling etc?

I'm not sure if they supplied that particular store but I did see a new unworn explorer 36 rolesor in the second hand place directly next-door.

The Rolex service manager told me that they are going to do Grand Seiko next year. Lovely stuff but needs a lot of brand building was my unhelpful suggestion.

They are also doubling down on Tudor. He was wearing a nice gold Black Bay.
Old 22 May 2022, 10:50 PM   #30
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Screw the AD, I'm never buying jewelry again (although wife did appreciate it, ha ha!) Bring on the crash.

Bundle this
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote