The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2022, 10:00 AM   #1
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Logged 1.2 hours of flight time in a C172 today!

So I switched to a different flight academy, still at CYOO, but lucked out with my instructor.

My other instructor had to cancel today, but luckily the guy that replaced him is an ATP! Unfortunately, due to the pandemic he had to return to bring a CFI for financial reasons. Chances are he's going to be back in action soon, so I'll take full advantage for now. He's typed on the Boeing 777 and has logged time in an Aribus (forget which one he's type rated on).

Anyway, it was a great flight, very bumpy day, but the weather cleared up to facilitate this flight happening.

I was able to obtain a head mount for various devices, including the GO Pro, but used my phone without ATC audio (need the cable). It'll be good for study purposes and hopefully when I have time to go through the 1 hour 18 minute video I can find some clips worth sharing.

Tired as ever right now after the flight and more so the drive to and from the airport.

Anyway, hopefully you enjoy the images as it's the next best thing to being there!

RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 10:34 AM   #2
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Very cool

But shouldn't you be wearing an Emergency instead??
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 10:38 AM   #3
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Very cool Rommel, thanks for posting these

Nice watch as well
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 10:44 AM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Awesome! Next time take me with you.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 10:44 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Very cool

But shouldn't you be wearing an Emergency instead??
Haha, I've always thought so too! Thankful the aircraft has an ELT.

Thank goodness for redundancies, as one of our radios failed today. We could only use it for ATIS but not for communications.

For cross country adventures I like the idea of having the Emergency, the history behind that piece is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Very cool Rommel, thanks for posting these

Nice watch as well
Glad you enjoyed them, Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Awesome! Next time take me with you.
You bet, Paul! As a former Fighter Pilot I'm certain you would've had no issues with the turbulence today.

My instructor told me a story about how he made one of the other CFI's throw up on a flight recently.
Old 21 May 2022, 11:00 AM   #6
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Great pics. Sounds like a great day too.
Old 21 May 2022, 11:27 AM   #7
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Wow and good watch choice
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 11:28 AM   #8
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Great fun. Thanks for sharing.
Bluside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 12:19 PM   #9
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
That is awesome. Flying scares me! Love the Breitling, looks really good.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 12:47 PM   #10
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Looks like was a great day for you, Romel! Thanks for sharing.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 12:52 PM   #11
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

I see you noticed an RV-8….good spotting! I’m partial to that model myself!
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 01:48 PM   #12
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Great pics. Sounds like a great day too.
Thanks, it truly was! Each time I go up is unique and provided memories I'll cherish for a lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Wow and good watch choice
Thanks, Danny! For this setting one of my Breitling's is a must. This one's been on the most adventures and feels right at home in the cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Great fun. Thanks for sharing.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
That is awesome. Flying scares me! Love the Breitling, looks really good.
It can definitely have it's moments, that's for sure. Experiencing certain manuvers or sensations for the first time can take getting used to. Thanks! I feel like the Chrono SuperOcean is the perfect size for me.

A shockingly versatile watch that now gets the most wrist time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
Looks like was a great day for you, Romel! Thanks for sharing.
It certainly was , Panos! I've got another lesson booked for Tuesday, as I took the day off. It's difficult for me to make time to go there. It's important that I go as often as possible.

I'm booked with a different instructor Tuesday, whom I met today as he told me we're flying together. This shouldn't be an issue though based on my PTR and Logbook entities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyyy View Post
I see you noticed an RV-8….good spotting! I’m partial to that model myself!
It's such a neat aircraft and must be a blast to fly! The best part of being on that side of the fence is getting an unrestricted view of things like this. Didn't have time to go into the hanger today but the coolest planes typically seem to be in that general area.
Old 21 May 2022, 02:33 PM   #13
lear60man
"TRF" Member

Ditch the head mounted whatever thingy. At one point it will be a distraction at the wrong time.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 03:47 PM   #14
avidflyer

Heading back to the states from San Juan. Keep up the good work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C53E3A8C-49DF-44A1-A818-8DCCCC22759D.jpeg (49.6 KB, 203 views)
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 04:01 PM   #15
TheVTCGuy
Banned

So, for all you pilots out there… here is an admission… I suck at over-wings. I learned to fly in a T-34C Mentor, a Beach turboprop (Navy Primary trainer). It is similar to a Piper, maybe a mooney, point being they are low-wings, you sit on top of the lift of the aircraft. The area this makes a difference is in landing, specifically the flare. I could grease on the 34, and after I had my license, my friend’s Piper. Now, we get to the Cessna 172, (I think) the most popular airplane in the world. When I was landing it, I flew it like an over-loaded truck. There is something about hanging underneath the lift of the aircraft when doing the flare that I just can not do (very well anyway). Now, with a low-wing, me sitting on TOP of the lift of the aircraft, I can flare and land with the best of them. What’s the big difference? I don’t know, but the point of this whole post:

When I fly with one of you guys in an over-wing like a 172, and we come in for the landing and I begin the flare…. Well, you might just want to hang on….
Old 21 May 2022, 08:28 PM   #16
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Such a fascinating thing...one of those things that I always wanted to try but never did! Keep it up Rommel!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 08:44 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That’s awesome Rommel! Are you doing this for pleasure or do you hope to work in aviation?

Side bar …. I had a chance to fly up to Muskoka on a small float plane many years ago. You don’t really think of it, or get to see it when you drive up there, but it really struck me as we were flying in just how many lakes are up there. Water everywhere, I mean everywhere!
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 08:52 PM   #18
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So, for all you pilots out there… here is an admission… I suck at over-wings. I learned to fly in a T-34C Mentor, a Beach turboprop (Navy Primary trainer). It is similar to a Piper, maybe a mooney, point being they are low-wings, you sit on top of the lift of the aircraft. The area this makes a difference is in landing, specifically the flare. I could grease on the 34, and after I had my license, my friend’s Piper. Now, we get to the Cessna 172, (I think) the most popular airplane in the world. When I was landing it, I flew it like an over-loaded truck. There is something about hanging underneath the lift of the aircraft when doing the flare that I just can not do (very well anyway). Now, with a low-wing, me sitting on TOP of the lift of the aircraft, I can flare and land with the best of them. What’s the big difference? I don’t know, but the point of this whole post:

When I fly with one of you guys in an over-wing like a 172, and we come in for the landing and I begin the flare…. Well, you might just want to hang on….
I have a fair amount of time in both high wing and low wing aircraft. Yes, ground effect does play a bigger part in landing a low wing airplane. I don't know that I really prefer one over the other. I learned to fly in a C-150, then continued most of my training in Pipers. They both have their pros and cons. However, I do think a low wing airplane looks better.

Keep up the good work Rommel, and please keep taking us along with you.
Old 21 May 2022, 09:40 PM   #19
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Heading back to the states from San Juan. Keep up the good work.
Wow... the feeling has to be amazing seeing this, being there all alone.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 09:51 PM   #20
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Thanks for sharing.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2022, 11:39 PM   #21
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Enjoy!
That headgear looks distracting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 May 2022, 11:46 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice pictures.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 12:34 AM   #23
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Very cool, Rommel! Thanks for letting us tag along.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 04:41 AM   #24
Toony
"TRF" Member

Very cool.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 01:15 PM   #25
lear60man
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You perfect what you practice. If you learned in a high wing, you would grease the 172 and prang the first few times in a low wing. Funny thing is you get kinda dependant on a perticular set up which can change from plane to plane....even serial number to serial number. I used to fly the same serial number GIV for 7 years. I had that plane dialed in on landings as I had the pedals, seat, height, tilt etc set up exactly how I liked it. Then I would fly another GIV and the seat padding was a little more 'broken in' or brand new (higher seating position) and it threw me off my game a bit. Over the last few months, Ive been flying a number of different G-Wagons. Each one is a little different and takes a landing or two to find the sweet spot.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 04:10 PM   #26
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
You perfect what you practice. If you learned in a high wing, you would grease the 172 and prang the first few times in a low wing. Funny thing is you get kinda dependant on a perticular set up which can change from plane to plane....even serial number to serial number. I used to fly the same serial number GIV for 7 years. I had that plane dialed in on landings as I had the pedals, seat, height, tilt etc set up exactly how I liked it. Then I would fly another GIV and the seat padding was a little more 'broken in' or brand new (higher seating position) and it threw me off my game a bit. Over the last few months, Ive been flying a number of different G-Wagons. Each one is a little different and takes a landing or two to find the sweet spot.
Take me with you….

My squadron buddy flies corporate in a GIV, I get some stick time… strictly unofficial of course (I do have my civilian commercial rating). Man that is FUN!!!!! Makes me think about getting back in to it professionally.
Old 22 May 2022, 08:40 PM   #27
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Take me with you….

My squadron buddy flies corporate in a GIV, I get some stick time… strictly unofficial of course (I do have my civilian commercial rating). Man that is FUN!!!!! Makes me think about getting back in to it professionally.
Ever single airline is hiring these days and are desperate for pilots. Quite a few military guys are being hired that have been out of the game for a while too. You never know.
Old 22 May 2022, 08:41 PM   #28
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Rommel, when is your next flight?
Old 23 May 2022, 01:02 AM   #29
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
So I switched to a different flight academy, still at CYOO, but lucked out with my instructor.

My other instructor had to cancel today, but luckily the guy that replaced him is an ATP! Unfortunately, due to the pandemic he had to return to bring a CFI for financial reasons. Chances are he's going to be back in action soon, so I'll take full advantage for now. He's typed on the Boeing 777 and has logged time in an Aribus (forget which one he's type rated on).

OP, happy for you! This was my first love and passion and I think of being up there everyday!! If I could throw in one small piece of advice, look for an instructor that has been pressure tested through a lifetime of flying. By no mean am I insinuating that your 777 instructor isn’t that person. When I was learning to fly, 27 years ago, I couldn’t afford the nice flight schools nor the fancy aircraft. My flight instructor, may he rest in piece, was a WWII veteran, a gem and sweet man! He was always grumpy and would make me do stuff like hours of ground to map flying with an eye patch or a visor, he was always teaching me little tricks that inevitably saved my life countless times in the mountains and northern flying I did.

You can get great flight instruction from a CFI and qualified pilot. But you can’t get life experience.

Quote:

I don’t have that problem that you describe Paul. Unless someone changes the settings on my seat, well damn, I might as well crash land the plane!! One plane I’ve never had to think about landing smoothly was the Grand Caravan C208. Didn’t matter what I did to it, it always landed smoothly…
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 03:17 AM   #30
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

My sister became a commercial airline pilot after years of logging in her hours as a student, and later becoming a flight instructor.

Now is the perfect time for anyone interested in becoming a pilot. After Alaska Airlines recently canceled one of my flights, the rep told me the industry is down about 10k pilots. That’s consistent with what I’ve read.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote