The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 May 2022, 06:02 PM   #1
smg8
Banned

Why does this not get mentioned as much?

Random question I am pondering, would welcome any views.

When people talk about stainless steel sports watches with blue dials, the Yacht Master 40 blue rarely comes into the conversation.

If someone starts a thread on a watch forum (here or elsewhere) the blue dial s/s sports watch conversation often starts with the "big three" or Patek Nautilus, AP Royal Oak and VC Overseas - naturally.

As other options come up there are a heap thrown into the mix, from haute horology to high street. In no particular order names as far and wide as;

Zenith Defy
GP Laureato
Tissot PRX
Maurice Lacroix Aikon
Czapek Antarticque
Laurent Ferrier Sport Auto
Chopard Alpine Eagle

etc etc etc

So why does the seemingly more obvious Rolex not come up as often in the discussion?

Blue dial
Robust
Good movement
Micro adjustment (unlike others)
Brand recognition if that's your thing
Reasonable price point

What's the catch!?
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 06:18 PM   #2
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
My opinion is Rolex is the most recognized and perhaps most desired watch brand of the general public, and the most hated brand by fans of other brands…
Old 22 May 2022, 06:19 PM   #3
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It's the whole "yacht" thing.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 06:31 PM   #4
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
I often overlook them….and a lot of Rolex because it’s generally from people who are after a watch that they can purchase at retail, so recommending a Yachtmaster is pointless
Adam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 06:53 PM   #5
AlbionJackal
"TRF" Member

It's a Yacht Master. End of!

If I could get one from an AD at a discount, I would buy one but otherwise although I share your enthusiasm and frustration, my experience tells me it's never going to be a priority model for most people.

I adore the Baby Blue for example but unless I suddenly get into boating, I'd probably avoid buying one.

Strange, isn't it?
Rolex 1993 16700, 2012 116520, 2012 116610LV, 2017 116660, 2020 326934 - Tudor 2021 79030B, 2022 79210CNU - JLC 2008 GT SG Reverso, Omega 2016 3570.50 Speedmaster Pro, CasiOak 2022 GMA-2100, 1999 Tag Heuer 2000 Sport,
AlbionJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 07:12 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Random question I am pondering, would welcome any views.

When people talk about stainless steel sports watches with blue dials, the Yacht Master 40 blue rarely comes into the conversation.

If someone starts a thread on a watch forum (here or elsewhere) the blue dial s/s sports watch conversation often starts with the "big three" or Patek Nautilus, AP Royal Oak and VC Overseas - naturally.

As other options come up there are a heap thrown into the mix, from haute horology to high street. In no particular order names as far and wide as;

Zenith Defy
GP Laureato
Tissot PRX
Maurice Lacroix Aikon
Czapek Antarticque
Laurent Ferrier Sport Auto
Chopard Alpine Eagle

etc etc etc

So why does the seemingly more obvious Rolex not come up as often in the discussion?

Blue dial
Robust
Good movement
Micro adjustment (unlike others)
Brand recognition if that's your thing
Reasonable price point

What's the catch!?
Simple answer not hyped like say the Subs, GMTs, Daytona, now if the Yacht Master 40mm got the same hype on so called social media YouTube etc. Then they would be the greatest things since sliced bread,hype sells watches today and many buy the hype to wear it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 08:17 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Its a stunning watch and should get more love, for me the only issue was the plat bezel numbers were a little oversized, esp compared to the ceramic ones.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 08:24 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Its a stunning watch and should get more love, for me the only issue was the plat bezel numbers were a little oversized, esp compared to the ceramic ones.

Another fantastic photograph
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 08:28 PM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post

I can only speak for myself. The blue dial is beautiful and the red highlights enhance it further. The maxi dial suits it. The bezel is too big, clumsy and ugly. It throws the whole aesthetic off and makes the watch look awkward.

YMMV.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:43 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have created a SS blue dial thread in 2018 and it has DJ41 represented from Rolex. I do remember seeing a few other threads with either DJ41 or the blue Yachtmaster in there.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=614065
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:51 PM   #11
HMHM
"TRF" Member

It's not that it isn't a good watch, but the main problem for the YM line up is the Submariner itself.

The Sub has more heritage, greater water resistance (300m vs 100m), uses the same 3235 movement, and is cheaper than the YM as it does not have a platinum bezel.

So why is someone paying more for essentially the same product but with worse spec?

The YM2 has an amazing movement but the size is HUGE! If Rolex make a new YM2 at 42mm or even better 40mm, the watch will be have a long waitlist like the SkyD!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 09:53 PM   #12
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's the whole "yacht" thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Simple answer not hyped like say the Subs, GMTs, Daytona, now if the Yacht Master 40mm got the same hype on so called social media YouTube etc. Then they would be the greatest things since sliced bread,hype sells watches today and many buy the hype to wear it.
I completely agree with Peter on this. The Yacht-Master was the only SS sports watch you could find in the cases, and often it could be had with a discount. Many did not like the bezel or the pop of color they used on the seconds hand. Most of the love and hype has been around the Submariners, Daytonas, and GMTs. Why would you spend more (MSRP) on a YM 40 when you could wait and get a cheaper, more hyped model?

I think the rise in costs was due to the Rolex bubble growing, and with this change in market, I think these models will be the first to have heavy discounts in the grey, and will once again be back in the cases at ADs.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:02 PM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Your list consists of all watches with integrated bracelets… people are trying to find/recommend alternatives to 5711 and 15202. Those pieces were introduced with blue dials, so people want the blue for both historical purposes and pleasing aesthetics. The YM checks the later box, but not the former so it’s not often included as a recommendation. However, I do see it mentioned when people are looking for a blue dial Rolex.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:13 PM   #14
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
I'm a sucker for a blue dial The YM Blue sunburst dial is beautiful but once I purchased it, I ended up not liking the big platinum bezel with large numbers.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:43 PM   #15
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

I know that MRSP doesn't really exist as of now but I feel that the platinum model is close enough to the gold model in price (20 percent more) and that I'd go for that all other things being equal.

The platinum is however, very lovely though. Everose is not everybody's cup of tea.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:48 PM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
One issue is the platinum bezel which is easily dinged and scratched. I am also not a fan of the large numbers on the bezel. I believe the watch is hard to get at retail. Demand for it is great. Lots of folks love this watch. I am a buyer at retail.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:48 PM   #17
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Maybe when talking strictly stainless steel, the YM 126622 is not among the first models to come to mind due to the pt bezel? Also, several models you're citing take inspiration from the super hyped Royal Oak (and Nautilus) and are perceived as cheaper and/or available alternatives, whereas the YM is not hyped, is a dressier version of the Sub and is not readily available at ADs. Also, in my mind, the obvious configuration of the YM is either with platinum or rhodium (slate) dial.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2022, 10:54 PM   #18
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I love the YM. It's a great watch, especially for someone like me with a small wrist.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 12:00 AM   #19
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
It’s a handsome watch, just not quite handsome enough. Take the word Yacht off the dial and I’d consider buying one.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 12:01 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

As has been said, the YM's (comparative) lack of desirability definitely has something to do with it. In fact, the only blue dial Rolexes that seem to command a noticeable premium over otherwise identical models are the motif DJ and SkyD.

Or take the OP line - a runaway success - blue is seemingly one of the most gettable colors.

Blue has also never been a signature color of Rolex professional models. Sure there are a handful, and some have been popular (WG Sub/Daytona; YG/TT Sub). But the DJ/SkyD are the desirable "blues" and it makes sense: In terms of style they are much more similar to the aforementioned "hot blues" from PP, AP, VC, GP, etc. (even if they aren't on the same horological playing field).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 12:29 AM   #21
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Go try to buy a rhodium YM……you will see how hated they are……about 6000$ over retail lol…..I’m on the waitlist as I’m not paying 18k for the watch
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 12:33 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great question, and guess herd mentality. Perhaps the word Yacht doesn't resonate as much as do the more generalized terms such as Sea, Nautical, etc. So Sky-Dweller instead of Private Aviation Dweller.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 12:39 AM   #23
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I wanted to get one but I could never figure out how I would explain that I am at best a yacht beginner wearing a YachtMaster
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:02 AM   #24
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Why does this not get mentioned as much?

Maybe it’s because the Bluesy casts a shadow over it??? When it comes to blue dial watches, I think that’s the first Rolex people think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:10 AM   #25
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I hardly ever see any in person. I was at a wedding yesterday and a guy next to me had the rhodium dial. The photos really don’t do this watch justice. In the days of Instagram and having to pick your watch through photos and not being able to see them in person, I think that is a big reason they aren’t as popular. In person, it is a stunning watch.
Old 23 May 2022, 01:13 AM   #26
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

So true. Kills an otherwise brilliant watch.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:48 AM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
As someone with lots of paid helpers (lazy), and with a yacht (rich), I assume norms shy from it because one should obviously own a yacht in the first place, and second, PCLs, and third, no arriviste wants to tell people ‘it’s not a sub date, it’s a yacht master’ every time, then being asked if they own a yacht - which they don’t.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 01:49 AM   #28
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great question, and guess herd mentality. Perhaps the word Yacht doesn't resonate as much as do the more generalized terms such as Sea, Nautical, etc. So Sky-Dweller instead of Private Aviation Dweller.
I read once it was originally conceived as a replacement for the Sub (no idea if that’s true or not). Would have made infinitely more sense to just go with “Mariner,” especially once it was decided the two would stay in the lineup side by side. Like various members of the Omega Seamaster line (which I hadn’t realized until recently only became a dive watch in the 90s).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 02:09 AM   #29
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I don't care about the name, and no, I don't own a boat. I love the way it wears and the blue dial is amazing, especially in the sun. Would it be more popular with a different name? Don't know, but I'm keeping mine.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2022, 02:16 AM   #30
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I am the happy and proud owner of a Yacht-Master and absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote