The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 December 2017, 02:34 PM   #1
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

ROLEX HOT MODELS RIGHT NOW??? Future collectibles

I Wanted to gather a list and get everyone's opinion on which rolexes are hot and which will probably becomes collectors items in the not to distant future:

-Rolex SD 4000 (discontinued)
-Rolex GMT Batman
-Rolex Hulk
-Daytona Ceramic
-Rolex SD 50th anniversary
-Rolex DSSD James Cameron edition.....
-Rolex Sub non ceramic 50th anniversary
-Rolex Non ceramic Daytona

Also does anyone see these new models coming down to reality or will there always be a premium for them?
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 02:59 PM   #2
galaxy101
"TRF" Member

Good list I’d agree with that. I’d say BLNR is massively favorable by many for some reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galaxy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 03:43 PM   #3
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
The Hulk
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasheikh View Post
Also does anyone see these new models coming down to reality or will there always be a premium for them?
The only real variable IMO is whether or not a watch is discontinued and even that isn't always a sure thing. BUT, if for example the LVC get's discontinued, these crazy prices we're seeing today aren't coming down anytime soon.

Another crazy example would be if they remove the red letters from the SD43. I'm not saying I think this will happen, but if it did, it would certainly blow up the value of it's first year.

Otherwise, I have a feeling all returning models will come down in price, but I think the days of discount might be gone for a while.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Kenrocks
"TRF" Member

Speaking from only my personal taste:

1. SS Daytonas - potentially they will be the next best thing to 4-digit Daytonas, plus the zenith factor which is pbly never going to be repeated

2. DSSD JC - when one day discontinued (or when JC died) will be highly collectible due to its showcase diving capability and the specialty of the dial color and the green DEEPSEA which makes it pop - plus simply its killer look

Kenrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 03:59 PM   #6
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Hard to say if any of those will be future collectibles. Most of the high value vintage Rolex's you see today came from a time when Rolex was not much of a sought after brand and the number of watches produced was lower than today. So while some watches are hot now, their popularity will dwindle when the next hot watch is released and buyers attention turns to these. In the mean time they will have made 10s of thousands of BLNRs and each was so expensive that no one will have shoved them in the back of a drawer for 30 years and wake up with a $100K watch in the kitchen junk drawer.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 04:08 PM   #7
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
Hard to say if any of those will be future collectibles. Most of the high value vintage Rolex's you see today came from a time when Rolex was not much of a sought after brand and the number of watches produced was lower than today. So while some watches are hot now, their popularity will dwindle when the next hot watch is released and buyers attention turns to these. In the mean time they will have made 10s of thousands of BLNRs and each was so expensive that no one will have shoved them in the back of a drawer for 30 years and wake up with a $100K watch in the kitchen junk drawer.
I think DDII is one of those watches. Especially now it has been discontinued.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I Wanted to gather a list and get everyone's opinion on which rolexes are hot and which will probably becomes collectors items in the not to distant future:

-Rolex GMT Batman
-Rolex Hulk
-Daytona Ceramic

Your list is spot on.

I have a BLNR and a Deepsea James Cameron from that list. I absolutely adore them both, but hard to say what their future holds. I’d say the James Cameron will be a huge future collectors piece.

If the SD43 is discontinued or the red font changes to black, the. It will also be an extremely sought after model.

Personally I think HULK is on the rise but I don’t see that lasting, and I certainly don’t see it being as sought after long term as the SD43 and James Cameron.

However I could be miles out with all of that lol
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 05:53 PM   #9
Andad

Watch: A few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (122.5 KB, 5475 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 06:09 PM   #10
duc888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Another crazy example would be if they remove the red letters from the SD43
This would prices going to explode.
The main reason for the near future will be if a model is discontinued or not. Take a look at the 116600 its price development.
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 06:49 PM   #11
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Isn’t it usually the unpopular overlooked models that eventually become the most collectible?
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 09:12 PM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

SD4000 as it is the one recent (post 5 digit) sports model with short run.
Old 26 December 2017, 09:36 PM   #13
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJONES View Post
Isn’t it usually the unpopular overlooked models that eventually become the most collectible?
True dat.
Price is dependant on short term and long term availability.
Short term being limited supply, of which Rolex are the masters.
Long term being, not that many were sold at the time, and now it’s discounted. Prime example being the, imho, fugly PN. At the time it wasn’t a looker and dealers had to almost give them away. Put now, those how like the look rave about, but unfortunately many ravers rave purely due to its soaring value.
I could buy the fugly PN for investment value, but I wouldn’t be seen dead wearing one.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 09:45 PM   #14
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:

-Rolex GMT Batman
-Rolex Hulk
-Daytona Ceramic

For starters the Rolex Daytona Ceramic or non ceramic are not really 'collectible'. The Daytona is has and always will be around. Will they always hold there value and perhaps a premium? guaranteed. If history proves correct the Daytona C will be much easier to get over the next 2 years as opposed to the past 2 years. While I agree the Daytona can be a mainstay in anyones collection there is nothing 'unique' about them.

1) Rolex Submariner 16610LV -This one is obvious as water is wet

2) Rolex SD4000. Seems to check all the boxes of a collectible. Approx 30 month run. Unique case shared by no other Rolex. Modern update of the 'classic' Seadweller. As time gos on this will only go up in value as much as if not more than the 16610LV listed above.

3) Rolex Deepsea JC. This one of a kind dial of speaks for itself. Unique. Rolexes first foray into 'celebrating' an event. I fully expect this model to be discontinued anytime without warning in the next 2 years which will give it a shorter run and production than the 16610LV.

4) Rolex 116610LV 'Hulk'. If only because its Rolexes its first ALL green submariner. The big question is does it get discontinued and replaced with identical looking watch but with the new 3235 movement?. Regardless will always be a strong player in anyones collection from a 'value' standpoint.

5) Rolex BLNR. I dont see this model being a collectible. period. I cant see it going anywhere anytime soon.

6) Rolex SD43. IF 'red' text gets eliminated after one year than this model will shoot to the top of the list. I dont see that happening however and fully expect this model to be sold for the next 8 years approx as is. Although it celebrates 50 years of the Seadweller it is actually a brand new model with a 'cyclops'!. This is seadweller blasphemy. If it didnt say seadweller on the dial than I would think the other name could be Submariner XL. Not that impressed. If red text stays I dont see collectors being that impressed either.

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 10:20 PM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
not to distant future:
How many years is this?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 10:47 PM   #16
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
The SS GMTs, especially the BLRO models, are in the middle of a multi-year price run up.
Old 26 December 2017, 11:17 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Growth for both UK and US look good, and will continue to fuel high demand for these Rolexes. I expect thru 2018. Doubt supply will be able to match it, so prices stay high.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 11:26 PM   #18
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I don’t think any modern Rolex will truly by collectible. But if you’re just considering resale price then I think all of those models will stay strong for many years. If one gets discontinued it will only help the price increase long term. If I had to pick one from a collectibility standpoint from that list I’d say 16610lv has the best long term potential.

Old 26 December 2017, 11:29 PM   #19
yhzdude

may be he is asking what s the best Rolex, so he can sell it...like the Daytona..
i am no Rolex expert, but as a daily wearer may but the sub date or no date, or explorer 2.
explorer goes under the radar, seems a robust watch to beat around.
i will probably add one of them in my collection as a do everything watch, biking swimming.etc.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 11:35 PM   #20
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
lv non c.

sd4k.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 11:35 PM   #21
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I think the DJ2 should be on that list.

There seems plenty of up and coming Datejust owners who prefer the eisthetics of the watch (whilst I appreciate there are others who don’t), but now they’re discontinued, like everything in life, people want what they can’t readily find. Thrill of the chase and all that...
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 11:54 PM   #22
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Funny how in another thread talking about Rolex as an investment the idea was mostly dismissed. I guess semantics matter.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 11:59 PM   #23
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I don’t think any modern mass produced Rolex is going to be collectible, there are just to many in circulation.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:03 AM   #24
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
I don’t think any modern mass produced Rolex is going to be collectible, there are just to many in circulation.
This+1
gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:15 AM   #25
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

Wow thanks for the responses gentlemen/ladies keep em coming guys! Happy Christmas and a new year to all too!
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:18 AM   #26
Xerxes77
Banned

No one from that list only if Rolex discontinuing Hulk and remove red letters from SD 43
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:22 AM   #27
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
Funny how in another thread talking about Rolex as an investment the idea was mostly dismissed. I guess semantics matter.

I do think collectable in this case means sought after, but not necessarily in a monetary sense.

The question should be posed if one was building a nice vintage collection in 30 years, which models would be sought out?
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 01:13 AM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think everything on that list is going to be "collectible"...but, now the days of telephone book money are gone, IMO. Unless something extraordinary happens.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 01:53 AM   #29
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
As already stated on previous posts ,the LV non c couldn't be hotter but hasn't peaked yet . The rest of the choices are ifs & buts to me currently . But it would be great to look back in 30 years ( if I'm alive ), & see which reference was the wise buy .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 01:59 AM   #30
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Seems like the SD4000 is already a sure bet.
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote