The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 8 June 2020, 05:33 AM   #1
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Tudor North Flag 91210N review and long term impressions

Tudor North Flag 91210N

I purchased the Tudor North Flag (NF) used from a trusted seller in January 2020 and have been wearing it as part of a 5 watch rotation for a little over 6 months. These are my own impressions of the watch in terms of form and function.

Timekeeping
A watch’s primary function is timekeeping. Whenever I purchase a new watch, I check it’s timekeeping by comparing the time against an atomic clock (time.gov) twice a day for a week. I repeat this process annually to monitor for significant deviation and gauge a watch’s health. It is a rudimentary method that serves my purpose well. At the time of purchase, the NF maintained +0.5 sec/day.

Watch case
The NF is constructed with 316L steel. The factory finish for the entirety of the watch case is satin brushed. The steel bezel is outlined by a ceramic ring that supposedly minimizes light reflection when checking time in bright and snowy conditions.

Steel bezel with ceramic ring

The integrated bracelet case design of the NF is reminiscent of Gerald Genta’s popular designs of the 70s such as the Royal Oak and Nautilus. That being said, the more likely inspiration behind the NF is the combined elements of the Tudor Ranger II and an obscure Rolex design, the Rolex 1530.

Rolex 1530 & Tudor Ranger II
(From HQMilton)

However, it adopts the classic designs of its progenitors while maintaining modern aesthetics by incorporating highly angular and sharp case lines combined with modern case dimensions;

Diameter - 40mm
Lug to lug length - 50mm
Lug width - N/A
Case thickness - 13.3mm

Warning: Sharp!

The sapphire crystal of the NF is flat and set flush with the steel bezel. It lacks anti reflective coating on either side of the crystal, a trait shared with other watches from both Tudor and Rolex. This makes the watch quite challenging to photograph and requires masterful (time consuming) manipulation of lighting to overcome.

Dial, hands, & hour markers
The NF has a time, date, and power reserve layout set against a matte black dial that upon closer inspection has a grainy texture.
The hour and minute hands, as well as the applied hour markers (both index and Arabic) are outlined in white textured paint and adequately filled with lume. Similarly, the seconds hand is also coated in textured paint, albeit in a bright yellow color.

Hour hand, seconds hand, & applied numeral

The date window is unlined and occupies the 3 o’clock position while the 9 o’clock position is occupied by a power reserve indicator.

Power reserve indicator

The dial is surrounded by a minute track that is primarily indexed in white with intermittent yellow indexes at 5 minute intervals.

The overall combination of pure white timing elements set against a matte black dial with minimal yellow accents results in a strong contrast that allows the wearer to tell time effortlessly in both bright and dim conditions.

Blue lume

Spear hour, pencil minute, yellow seconds hands, & hour markers

The dial is minimally decorated save for the branding below 12 o’clock and COSC designation above 6 o’clock.

Tudor Shield & COSC

Caseback
The Tudor NF features a sapphire crystal display back with a clear view of Tudor’s crowning achievement housed within. It is noted that display backs are rarely utilized by both Rolex and Tudor with the only other watch in the family featuring one being the Rolex Cellini Prince.

Sapphire display back

Movement
Since it is visible, let’s discuss the beating heart of the NF, the MT5621 which is the first in house movement produced entirely by Tudor (likely with a lot of help from big brother). An undertaking that spanned 5 years, it features designs and components that are typically synonymous with “higher end” luxury brands including a free sprung balance, the use of a balance bridge vs. balance cock, silicon hairspring, and ball bearing rotor, all within view of the display back. That being said, the movement lacks any kind of embellishment and is spartanly finished using sand blasting which falls in line with the emphasis of function over form that holds true to the movements of the Wilsdorf brands.

Tudor MT 5621
(From Tudor)

Functionally, a fully wound mainspring lasts the full 70 hours as advertised and correlates accurately with the power reserve indicator featured on the dial. The date wheel snaps at midnight give or take a minute. The winding of the rotor is neither audible nor tactile while on the wrist.

Crown
The NF has a smaller sized crown that tapers down distally. The entirety of the crown has a sandblasted finish including the embossed Tudor shield logo on the cap. Pulling the crown out can be challenging especially with wet fingers due to the smaller size but is still manageable. With regard to winding the movement, the tactile sensation is slick and any audible sound is minute.

Crown side view

Bracelet
The bracelet is an integrated H-link design with a brushed satin finish throughout. Despite the sharp lines, the bracelet wears comfortably on my 6.5in wrist, has ample spacing between the articulating links for breathability (and not catch hair). It is also worth mentioning that the NF bracelet includes a HALF LINK from the factory, something that is lacking in the more popular Black Bay oyster style bracelet. This half link can be included/excluded to allow for better fitting to a variety of wrist sizes.

Bracelet & half link

The clasp that comes with the NF bracelet is similar to the one on the Black Bay oyster style bracelet. It is a clamshell design with a flip lock that keeps it securely shut. It has a 3 position pin adjustment within the clasp for adjustability. I have noted that the length of the clasp on the NF bracelet is slightly shorter than the one on the Black Bay oyster style bracelet.

Clasp

Water resistance
The NF is water resistant to 100m/330ft or 10 bar which is very adequate for a sport watch. I have yet to take this watch scuba diving but have no doubt it would out-survive me in the depths.

Splash!

Final remarks
The NF is a field style sports watch that looks sharp () and fits Tudor’s “born to dare” theme without being overtly outlandish. However, no watch is perfect and the NF certainly has its share of flaws. The most obvious being that it lacks versatility and doesn’t fit business attire well (depending on your personality). Although it doesn’t bother me personally, it must be mentioned that the sharp and highly angular case lines while visually appealing will incur dents and dings when the watch is used as intended. Being an integrated bracelet design, the NF will lack variety in terms of strap choice with the only 2 options from the factory being the leather strap and bracelet. Lastly, the power reserve isn’t exactly the most useful complication on an automatic watch and either could have been omitted, or the watch itself be a manual wind only which would have allowed for a thinner case without a rotor. Regardless, I would have placed the power reserve in the back where it would still be viewable via the display back.

In any case the NF is undoubtedly a winner in my book and a watch that I intend to keep indefinitely.

Tudor North Flag
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 07:38 AM   #2
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 08:59 AM   #3
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Thanks for sharing a detailed and very well written review. Superb pictures as well.
Old 8 June 2020, 09:26 AM   #4
milgauss1349
"TRF" Member

Dig it, thanks a lot for sharing this! I may try one out thanks to you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
milgauss1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 10:35 AM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
A very good honest review and watch looks great
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 05:04 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys. I am glad you guys enjoy the read. I try to keep it very objective with minimal subjective input in the various categories.
Old 9 June 2020, 05:36 AM   #7
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

love this watch. and your review makes me want one even more than i already did.
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 05:51 AM   #8
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Was reading about this watch and the Ranger elsewhere and I like it.
Good write up on the TN ..and certainly a consideration...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 06:00 AM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Nick,

Great writeup!! Got to admit, the NF has never been on my radar but it's richly unique to the Tudor lineup and adds to the brands depth.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 02:05 AM   #10
Xean
"TRF" Member

Very detailed review, thanks for your time and effort Nick!
Xean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 03:57 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Tudor North Flag 91210N review and long term impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Nick,

Great writeup!! Got to admit, the NF has never been on my radar but it's richly unique to the Tudor lineup and adds to the brands depth.
dP

Thanks Dan! The the beauty of it, everyone has their tastes and the more of a variety of it there is the more interesting this hobby of ours gets!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It’s my pleasure and I look forward to writing more reviews in the future.

If there’s anything you think is missing or I can improve on, let me know and I’ll be sure to include it
Old 18 February 2022, 10:22 AM   #12
jmeds75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41 Blue
I really like the NF the more I go down the rabbit hole on it. Definitely not cookie cutter - has its own personality. I think it was ahead of its time and we will see more iterations from Tudor down the road in this style.
jmeds75 is offline   Reply With Quote