The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2021, 02:06 AM   #1
moting
"TRF" Member

Watch: addict
Submariner 14060m unpolished?

Hello,

I am looking to buy a submariner 5 digits 14040m random serial. I have a small wrist (around 6") so the 5 digits Sub models fits better than the 6 digits. I would like to get your opinion about this particular watch.
The seller mentioned the watch is unpolished. It looks ok to me but would like to get a second opinion about the condition :)

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub1.jpg (103.6 KB, 1099 views)
File Type: jpg sub2.jpg (104.2 KB, 1103 views)
File Type: jpg sub3.jpg (54.0 KB, 1097 views)
File Type: jpg sub4.jpg (90.7 KB, 1092 views)
File Type: jpg sub5.jpg (108.4 KB, 1096 views)
moting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:10 AM   #2
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Looks pretty good to me.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:31 AM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
A watch that old without any marks on the bracelet especially on the clasp is refinished.
Not that it matters any, beautiful watch, but the term unpolished is not accurate for the vast majority of second hand watches and is used incorrectly by lots of sellers.

With the exception of some true vintage watches almost all watches on the market are dressed up in one way or another. People just don’t buy scratched up examples
Old 27 March 2021, 02:32 AM   #4
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Polished very well.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:35 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
A watch that old without any marks on the bracelet especially on the clasp is refinished.
Not that it matters any, beautiful watch, but the term unpolished is not accurate for the vast majority of second hand watches and is used incorrectly by lots of sellers.

With the exception of some true vintage watches almost all watches on the market are dressed up in one way or another. People just don’t buy scratched up examples
Have to agree but today there is a anti polish syndrome with Rolex watches gods know why. As long as any polish is done correctly there is no problem, and the watch is question looks good.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:38 AM   #6
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
It has had a very light polish; you can always tell by the slightly rounded of lug holes. Unpolished cases should have very sharp lug hole edges.
No issues with a polish anyway, as padi stated above.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:41 AM   #7
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Looks pretty crisp. Might be unpolished with very little wear or very well polished without a lot to clean up. For the later later 4 liners, V or random, the chamfers were really minimal by then so they are correct. I think it looks good. Any bracelet stretch? That's something that RSC won't fix.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 03:14 AM   #8
16610Swiss
Banned

100 percent unpolished
16610Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 03:18 AM   #9
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

FYI- and this is important, with a 6" wrist the clasp will be severely off-center. You'll need to reverse the bracelet or have a permanent link removed from the 6 o'clock side to bring it down to four links. Just a heads up in case you haven't tried one on before...

FWIW, the case looks very good and likely totally unpolished judging by the crown guards, lugs, and depth of lug holes. 99% of these pieces are badly polished.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 03:22 AM   #10
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Buy it.

Random 14060s are hard to come by and the very last of the best. It will go perfectly on your smaller wrist. Don't even think twice. This whole polished/unpolished thing is overrated unless the lugs and crown guards are destroyed. These look great, touched up or not.
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 04:17 AM   #11
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Funny how some people swear it's been touched and others say it looks original.

Regardless, I think it looks pretty good and I'd like to buy another one of those. I too have small wrists, and that watch looks great on me.

I'd love to hear what it's selling (or sold) for. You can PM me if you'd prefer.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 04:40 AM   #12
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Funny how some people swear it's been touched and others say it looks original.

Regardless, I think it looks pretty good and I'd like to buy another one of those. I too have small wrists, and that watch looks great on me.

I'd love to hear what it's selling (or sold) for. You can PM me if you'd prefer.
+1

I recently bought a M series and have looked at many, many 14060M's over the past 6 months. Looks really good! I might even trade up for a better condition random serial. Maybe soon!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 04:59 AM   #13
mg Barcelona
Banned

Don't worry about a polish or not. It's a damn good watch and they are not making any more of them.
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 05:25 AM   #14
huba01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
Buy it.

Random 14060s are hard to come by and the very last of the best. It will go perfectly on your smaller wrist. Don't even think twice. This whole polished/unpolished thing is overrated unless the lugs and crown guards are destroyed. These look great, touched up or not.
Agree 100%
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 05:39 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by moting View Post
. . .
The seller mentioned the watch is unpolished. It looks ok to me but would like to get a second opinion about the condition :)

Thanks
Looks great, so does it really matter?

If he is saying "unpolished" and is asking a premium I would tell him to buzz off.
Old 27 March 2021, 06:11 AM   #16
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Appears unpolished.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 07:02 AM   #17
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Good find!!
Old 27 March 2021, 07:08 AM   #18
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Tidy!
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 07:14 AM   #19
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Looks good period.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 07:22 AM   #20
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Polished or not the watch looks great OP.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 07:59 AM   #21
mike0821
"TRF" Member

As has been mentioned before, regardless of whether it's been polished or not, it looks nice and sharp! Like you, I've got a pretty small wrist at 6.25" and my G-serial 14060M wears great. I should say that the bracelet center link that attaches to the spring bar has a wedge that prevents it from draping flat against the wrist (like say, a hollow end link jubilee would). Small wrist problems, I know.

Speaking of small wrist problems, someone also mentioned the clasp. Assuming that's a 93150 bracelet, the clasp has a full link riveted to the fliplock side so you will likely be stuck with a five link minimum on that side, so regardless of whether you reverse the bracelet or not it will almost certainly--with your wrist dimensions--sit quite uncentered. I didn’t find this to be too uncomfortable but I ended up attaching a glidelock clasp and I tell you, it’s perfect!

I don’t know how much the seller is asking, but I bought mine no more than 4 months ago and just from looking around now it seems asking prices have gone up at least 1000-1500 USD since them! If you really want one, might be better not to wait; I’m glad I didn’t!
mike0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 08:03 AM   #22
520lux
"TRF" Member

Nice watch but unless it has low milage on the wrist...it looks to me to be polished. people say what ever it takes to sell a watch. I have polished many watches and I think with the experience I have i can say that I can see a fresh polish on the watch. Looking at the second to last picture its pretty obvious. rolex watches have a much more sating finish to their polish and this one has more brushed after market polish touch ups to sell vibe going on....
<a href=https://flic.kr/p/HFRqgL target=_blank><a href=https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7597/27361612970_e4487f9949.jpg target=_blank>https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7597/2...e4487f9949.jpg</a></a><a href=https://flic.kr/p/HFRqgL target=_blank>sig</a> by <a href=https://www.flickr.com/photos/vipgraphx/ target=_blank>VIPGraphX</a>, on Flickr
520lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 08:06 AM   #23
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0821 View Post
Speaking of small wrist problems, someone also mentioned the clasp. Assuming that's a 93150 bracelet, the clasp has a full link riveted to the fliplock side so you will likely be stuck with a five link minimum on that side, so regardless of whether you reverse the bracelet or not it will almost certainly--with your wrist dimensions--sit quite uncentered.
True. I also have small wrists and I removed a permanent link on the 6 o'clock side. This is the best solution if you want to use the original clasp IMHO.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 09:02 AM   #24
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520lux View Post
Nice watch but unless it has low milage on the wrist...it looks to me to be polished. people say what ever it takes to sell a watch. I have polished many watches and I think with the experience I have i can say that I can see a fresh polish on the watch. Looking at the second to last picture its pretty obvious. rolex watches have a much more sating finish to their polish and this one has more brushed after market polish touch ups to sell vibe going on....
You’re referring to the top of the lugs in the second to last photo?
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 10:48 AM   #25
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
polished or not, try not to pay any premium over market price. i don’t trust anyone’s words about polishing unless it’s straight from AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 10:49 AM   #26
cm70
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16610Swiss View Post
100 percent unpolished

agree for the case, not for the bracelet ...
cm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 10:52 AM   #27
Orangeface
"TRF" Member

Watch: No-Date Sub
You'd be hard pressed to find one of that "vintage" any better. If it's been polished, it was minimal and done well.
Orangeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 10:56 AM   #28
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
If something has been skillfully polished, it can be very hard to tell and so I am generally pretty skeptical of any 'unpolished' claim for just about anything short of a 1-owner watch or one brand new from an AD. If it has been over-polished, this is usually more visible. It would seem likely that it has been polished simply due to the lack of marks on the clasp. The crown on the clasp looks well-shaped. The case looks great. It's a really nice watch.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 12:59 PM   #29
dbortz
"TRF" Member

Engraved rehaut and hollow end links?

Does the combination of a 14060m with an engraved rehaut, drilled lug holes and hollow end links exist as delivered from Rolex?
dbortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:17 PM   #30
moting
"TRF" Member

Watch: addict
Thank you very much for your feedbacks/opinions. I don't mind if a watch has been polished as soon that it was not "badly" polished. The seller is the first owner of the watch so obviously he should know the history of the watch and indeed the bracelet looks a bit too clean. I will ask for more pictures of the bracelet and one in horizontal position for the stretch.
moting is offline   Reply With Quote