The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 August 2021, 04:31 AM   #31
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I know you say you don't want to support the grey market, but in the non-hype years they provided a valuable service to buyers both on price and accessibility, so I would not rule them out on that basis.
Agree with you….
Also let’s remember till 2019 you can buy a new RO or ROC , SS or PM at least -15-20% from grey market…..
This is the reason that in many cases if you are a AP watch lover you can buy now almost every hot piece without list….. because when you buy an AP 5 years ago you choose to pay more on AD compare to grey market…
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 05:23 AM   #32
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
Agree with you….
Also let’s remember till 2019 you can buy a new RO or ROC , SS or PM at least -15-20% from grey market…..
This is the reason that in many cases if you are a AP watch lover you can buy now almost every hot piece without list….. because when you buy an AP 5 years ago you choose to pay more on AD compare to grey market…
If only I wasn't just having kids and buying my first couple houses 5 years ago! I really timed this buying an RO poorly...hahaha
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 05:53 AM   #33
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
If only I wasn't just having kids and buying my first couple houses 5 years ago! I really timed this buying an RO poorly...hahaha
I will gladly trade my Steel RO for just your single house in Aspen, straight up 1:1. I’ll even match the year for you. Lol.

I think you timed it right. Multi houses first. AP later.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 07:07 AM   #34
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I will gladly trade my Steel RO for just your single house in Aspen, straight up 1:1. I’ll even match the year for you. Lol.

I think you timed it right. Multi houses first. AP later.
Haha...that would be a good trade for you. Definitely timed the selling Denver places and buying/moving here correctly. Things have gone insane and I think the markup on housing here has almost outpaced the steel sports watch market the last 2 years!

I will just be patient and wait I guess.
Old 3 August 2021, 09:25 AM   #35
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Op: you’re a local in a place where the vast majority of boutique customers will be visitors. This is a golden chance to score a RO. Assuming you have the right combination of watch interest, social skills and business card I’d say you’re a shoe-in if the corruption level is within the normal range you’d expect from watch dealers.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:12 AM   #36
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Op: you’re a local in a place where the vast majority of boutique customers will be visitors. This is a golden chance to score a RO. Assuming you have the right combination of watch interest, social skills and business card I’d say you’re a shoe-in if the corruption level is within the normal range you’d expect from watch dealers.
Care to expand on "business card"? I am a CPA with a downtown office within a couple blocks of the new boutique and a lot of high net worth clients. Does something like that help?

Should that be part of my discussion, or generally just office location and give them a card or something and let them fill in the rest?

I keep hoping a client will walk in wearing their AP and we can strike up that convo, but all the locals are sooooo casual and low key, not usually dressed up when they come see me...haha
Old 3 August 2021, 12:48 PM   #37
dre-techie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Care to expand on "business card"? I am a CPA with a downtown office within a couple blocks of the new boutique and a lot of high net worth clients. Does something like that help?

Should that be part of my discussion, or generally just office location and give them a card or something and let them fill in the rest?

I keep hoping a client will walk in wearing their AP and we can strike up that convo, but all the locals are sooooo casual and low key, not usually dressed up when they come see me...haha
As the boutique opens, you can probably strike up a conversation with one of your watch-loving clients about the new AP boutique, whether they saw it, how in-demand they are. That may lead to a connection even if an AP is not on the wrist. That will be tough if they only wear Apple Watch when they come in. :)

Business card will be fine, sometimes they ask what one does, but not always. Ask the boutique SA to let you know when they have new pieces, since your office is nearby, and hand them your card.

I hope you'll have a good experience with the boutique. As a local, they really should be able to get you a piece within a reasonable timeframe.
dre-techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2021, 08:11 AM   #38
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Just an update....I never received a response on my request for additional detailed pictures, etc. from Roger1. So definitely seems to of been a scam. Stay away from that one.

They have had the door open the least two weeks at the new Aspen Boutique as they work. Walls are going up, etc. It is going to be a pretty small shop it seems at first glance, but all the glass in the front should make it feel open.

Hopefully we get an opening date soon. I am hoping after Food & Wine and before ski season starts (Thanksgiving). October and November are pretty slow months in town.
Old 26 August 2021, 02:43 AM   #39
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Can anyone shed some light on the process of "expressing interest" with a boutique? My specific questions:

1. Do you give them a specific model that you want and can you then just tell them your dial preference, but that you are open to other colors as well?

2. Can you express interest in another model at the same time?

I am asking, because I would be happy with several different royal oaks and when the new boutique opens, I am wondering how best to express my interest. Much of this depends on 2022 releases, and I am hoping the current SS ROC is around long enough before the new in house version is introduced that I can get one of the current watches. My preferences, in order would be as follows, with a big drop off after the silver ROC:

Blue ROC Ref. 26331ST.OO.1220ST.01
Blue RO Ref. 15500ST.OO.1220ST.01
Black ROC Ref. 26331ST.OO.1220ST.02
Black RO Ref. 15500ST.OO.1220ST.03
Silver ROC Ref. 26331ST.OO.1220ST.03
Grey RO Ref. 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
Silver RO Ref. 15500ST.OO.1220ST.04

Thanks!
Old 26 August 2021, 03:09 AM   #40
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
OP what seems to be happening right now with relatively new people to the brand is that AP will come as close as possible to the reference that you want and offer that watch to you even though it might not be exactly what you’re looking for.

The more references that you can give them the more chance of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 01:10 PM   #41
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Didn’t end up with a RO for myself this year…but even better, got something that the wife adores. The AP team have been nothing but spectacular and the brand has two more life long fans. The kids had fun too and the bears were a fun personal touch.
Old 10 May 2022, 01:21 PM   #42
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Is that code for congratulations are in order?

FWIW I’ve never been given teddy bears by AP!
Old 10 May 2022, 01:28 PM   #43
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Nice! Congrats to the family!
Old 10 May 2022, 01:51 PM   #44
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Thank you thank you. Yes, big congrats are in order. AP making miracles happen as this is our first from the brand and to get her dream watch that she had picked when I showed her options months ago is beyond belief. 50th anniversary as well for our coming 10th.
Old 10 May 2022, 02:05 PM   #45
BobtheBaby
"TRF" Member

Congratulations and may she wear it in good health! It sounds like you have built a good relationship and it is only a matter of time until you have your dream watch, as well.
BobtheBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 02:16 PM   #46
Usucapio
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Congrats thats a beautiful piece! Hope you get one of your wishlist soon!
Usucapio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 03:10 PM   #47
Qngo516
Banned

Nicely done.
What a class act. AP took care of Mrs wishlist first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Qngo516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 03:15 PM   #48
Jmaguire17
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, a nice update to the thread! Good luck on your piece!
Jmaguire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 12:30 AM   #49
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. It is all worth it to see her excitement and it feels like she now gets it/understands my love for watches. I am sure many here have experienced the same thing with their significant other.

It will probably be a year before I can rebuild the watch fund...but maybe by then the 50th hype will of died down and I can have a shot at a RO. I still really want an offshore, but am not 100% on any of the current versions. Really want to see a "ghost" in the new updated 43mm design....which is spectacular in Ti and Ceramic.

My first choice would be something to match hers, preferably a 16202...but that is everyone's dream. The experience has taught me anything can happen though. I have a 7 1/4 wrist, so the larger RO would fit me and the 43 looks great, but for a office/dinner watch, the 39mm can't be beat.

Best to all here and wish everyone the same experience and excitement we just had!
Old 11 May 2022, 12:46 AM   #50
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone. It is all worth it to see her excitement and it feels like she now gets it/understands my love for watches. I am sure many here have experienced the same thing with their significant other.

It will probably be a year before I can rebuild the watch fund...but maybe by then the 50th hype will of died down and I can have a shot at a RO. I still really want an offshore, but am not 100% on any of the current versions. Really want to see a "ghost" in the new updated 43mm design....which is spectacular in Ti and Ceramic.

My first choice would be something to match hers, preferably a 16202...but that is everyone's dream. The experience has taught me anything can happen though. I have a 7 1/4 wrist, so the larger RO would fit me and the 43 looks great, but for a office/dinner watch, the 39mm can't be beat.

Best to all here and wish everyone the same experience and excitement we just had!
So how does it work in the gretch household, once you put the deposit down with the wife with her gift first, does that mean you can add two for your collection? One for her...two for you...
Old 11 May 2022, 12:53 AM   #51
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Nice
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 01:19 AM   #52
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
So how does it work in the gretch household, once you put the deposit down with the wife with her gift first, does that mean you can add two for your collection? One for her...two for you...
Haha...it is certainly not the reason behind how things play out, which let's be honest, you take things as they come and this is just how it worked out. I was being offered my second shot at an ROOC that was honestly a watch I love, even if I do wish there were more Ti versions and decided to pass and pause the search for a bit. It is our 10 year and I was eyeing some jewelry for her after we decided against a big overseas trip (we have two young kids and the grandparents are not as mobile as they once were so the wife felt nervous heading overseas).

She just started her own company and just didn't want a big purchase putting pressure on her to grow inorganic. I would never put that pressure on her, but you can never control other peoples thoughts and I knew she would put it on herself.

I just said I want to pass and pause because of this, but if something that was on the list for her came in...I would still be open to it as an anniversary gift. My awesome sales associate and lady luck came together and she offered me this 15 minutes after my txt to her. I know they will only get one or two more of these and there are certainly bigger players in town...so it is a big deal they took a chance with us.

Anyhow...long story short, we are not in a position to buy multiple $30 to $50K watches each year, but good to save for one every couple years. The watch fund is now mostly empty and will need some refreshing before I can start the pursuit again...totally worth it though. Our youngest has one more year till Kindergarten...so will be good to free up additional funds to build the mad money fund...although you want them to grow as slowly as possible. Only get them for so many years...watches can wait.
Old 11 May 2022, 03:35 AM   #53
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Congratulations. Stunning dial there
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 06:36 AM   #54
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

No there is 99.9% no chance of getting on a list to get a 15500. Over the last three years I have purchased a steel and a rose gold Royal Oak, and it's been impossible for me to buy a third piece (16202 in any metal).

So if if long time loyal customers have a hard time, why would a stranger off the street be able to get one? Sorry I'm just being realistic and trying to save you some grief.

The only way you are going to get a Royal oak, barring a total miracle, is buying a second hand one. Consider that what they cost, not the retail price which you will never get. And if you can't pay market prices, then buy a Chopard Alpine eagle or the Zenith.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 07:34 AM   #55
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
No there is 99.9% no chance of getting on a list to get a 15500. Over the last three years I have purchased a steel and a rose gold Royal Oak, and it's been impossible for me to buy a third piece (16202 in any metal).

So if if long time loyal customers have a hard time, why would a stranger off the street be able to get one? Sorry I'm just being realistic and trying to save you some grief.

The only way you are going to get a Royal oak, barring a total miracle, is buying a second hand one. Consider that what they cost, not the retail price which you will never get. And if you can't pay market prices, then buy a Chopard Alpine eagle or the Zenith.
Stranger off the street? Feels like maybe you just read the first post? Either way...if you don't have hope, you have nothing.
Old 11 May 2022, 08:55 AM   #56
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:

Didn’t end up with a RO for myself this year…but even better, got something that the wife adores. The AP team have been nothing but spectacular and the brand has two more life long fans. The kids had fun too and the bears were a fun personal touch.
What a great first watch to pick up, your wife will be delighted! Hope you get your watch soon.
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 09:16 AM   #57
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahammackay86 View Post
What a great first watch to pick up, your wife will be delighted! Hope you get your watch soon.
Thanks!

I have read some consternation related to the emptiness of the dial on the new 37mm and then the obvious feelings about a diamond bezel. With that said...if this watch is being worn by a lady, the open dial pairs really well with the diamond bezel. It is somehow not too much and not too little.

With her platinum engagement solitaire, her matching metal two pave wedding rings (she wears one on each side of the engagement ring) and the SS RO...the whole package really goes well together.

The quality of the setting on the AP bezel is top notch. So smooth and they definitely are not using poor clarity for the diamonds. The markup seem high between non-diamond set and diamond set...but definitely adds some wow and I appreciate the time AP put into the setting.
Old 11 May 2022, 10:08 AM   #58
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
Congratulations! Seems like a good result all around - got some nice swag for the kids, a beautiful watch for the missus, and established a good relationship for your own piece (hopefully sooner rather than later)!
neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 02:36 AM   #59
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
stranger off the street? Feels like maybe you just read the first post? Either way...if you don't have hope, you have nothing.
Hope-is-a-dangerous-thing.-Hope-can-drive-a-man-insane..jpg
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2022, 04:06 AM   #60
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Alright...I am just putting this out there. I have searched and talked to a local jeweler that used to sell AP. I cannot figure out how to purchase a 15500 anytime in the next couple years. It seems that flying to a boutique to try to get on a list is a complete waste of time.

I don't want to flip it, I just want to wear it, but I am not going to support the grey market. Is there any possible way to get in line? Anyone here willing to help a guy out (long shot...I know!).

For now, I just have this...a beacon to anyone in town with a relationship (also a long shot):

doesn't aspen have a local AP boutique ? just make your case and maybe buy a code and/ or ROO and get it started ... no other way if you dont want to go grey.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote