The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2021, 02:54 PM   #1
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Rolex for JLC Trade Thoughts

I may have an opportunity to trade my 2009 Rolex Milgauss white dial for a 2011 JLC Grande Reverso GMT in stainless steel (Rference 240.8.18). Both watches have box and papers. I would be interested in thoughts on such a trade. Thanks.
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 03:15 PM   #2
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I’d rather have the mg.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 03:32 PM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I would just add.

But if that’s not an option, for me personally would never trade for that particular JLC. Now for a memovox... particularly a mariner memovox then yes.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 03:57 PM   #4
Master_Grogu
Banned

Never trade down. The reverso is a downgrade.

Think about it this way, you have in your hands a watch made by an independent Genevois matchmaker. Do you want to trade it against a product made by a brand owned by a luxury group ? Yes yes I know the foundation blablabla, well let me tell you something.

I went to JLC boutique and asked them for a model, which they didn’t have. However they offered to call me should it arrive so I can try it. I give them my info and specifically DON’T cross the “yes send me emails about products” box. I don’t want the spam.

What do I get two weeks after? Spam. From JLC. Against GDPR, they went ahead and used my email for sending me ads while I never agreed to it. Oh and also they never called me for the watch despite me seeing it every day in their vitrine when I walk in front of it.

Yes yes JLC so great such good watches blablabla. Well I must disagree here. The watches are good but priced way above what they are worth. Don’t bother, stay with your much more interesting MG.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 04:29 PM   #5
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Trading for a JLC is a definite trade up not down.
I would go for a different model personally but horology wise JLC are a step up, they don’t hold value like a Rolex and that seems to be why many people think Rolex are better watches!
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 04:40 PM   #6
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I am lucky to own a few watches mostly Rolex, and a JLC Moonphase RG. I considered a Cellini when looking at a dress watch, but went for the JLC. Its level of finish and the open back is stunning. Generally I do like JLC very much, to me its a special occasion watch, where my Rolex's are all part of a rotation.

If you like the JLC more so than go for it.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 05:32 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post

Think about it this way, you have in your hands a watch made by an independent Genevois matchmaker. Do you want to trade it against a product made by a brand owned by a luxury group ? Yes yes I know the foundation blablabla, well let me tell you something.

I went to JLC boutique and asked them for a model, which they didn’t have. However they offered to call me should it arrive so I can try it. I give them my info and specifically DON’T cross the “yes send me emails about products” box. I don’t want the spam.

What do I get two weeks after? Spam. From JLC. Against GDPR, they went ahead and used my email for sending me ads while I never agreed to it. Oh and also they never called me for the watch despite me seeing it every day in their vitrine when I walk in front of it.

Yes yes JLC so great such good watches blablabla. Well I must disagree here. The watches are good but priced way above what they are worth. Don’t bother, stay with your much more interesting MG.
The fact they spammed your inbox should not sway OP!
I’ve never been a fan of the newer Milgauss, it felt top heavy and a Seamaster 300 had 15x gauss protection!!
If you prefer another brand, it’s not a sin. Go for it.
Old 7 August 2021, 05:52 PM   #8
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is an upgrade, in horological perpective
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 06:06 PM   #9
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27473149571...hoC4GcQAvD_BwE
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 08:43 PM   #10
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:

One could accurately say that for any luxury watch. Your bad personal experience with JLC doesn’t detract from the brand itself, or its watches. I personally wouldn’t do this trade for a Reverso, but throw in a MUT Moon or a Master Chronograph and I’d do it in a heartbeat.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 08:59 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not do this specific trade. There are JLC watches I would consider but this is not one.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 09:25 PM   #12
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Not something I would do but if you really want the Reverso and are not feeling the milgauss anymore then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 09:31 PM   #13
Gekota
"TRF" Member

Watch: u wearin'?
Vastly different watches. Have you tried on the Reverso yet? If you have and you absolutely like it, try and negotiate a favourable deal and go for it. If not, I would stay with the Milgauss, a fantastic, truly utilitarian watch.
Old 7 August 2021, 09:36 PM   #14
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Very different watches. I'd stay put.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 10:01 PM   #15
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Not in 1000 years.
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 10:04 PM   #16
Hub6152
Banned

Rolex for JLC Trade Thoughts

Quote:
Think about it this way, you have in your hands a watch made by an independent Genevois matchmaker. Do you want to trade it against a product made by a brand owned by a luxury group ?
Sorry but JLC are far more of a “watchmaker” than mechanised Rolex.

Quote:
The watches are good but priced way above what they are worth. Don’t bother, stay with your much more interesting MG.
Really! That’s surely a better way to describe Rolex. At least people can buy a JLC at list prices!
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 10:34 PM   #17
ROBERT1183
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX SOON
The JLC is just not my style. I would take the Milgauss over it on appearance.
ROBERT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 10:42 PM   #18
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I like and respect JLC, and that Reverso is pleasing to my eyes. I personally prefer the Reverso to the Milgauss. That being said, only do this trade if you really want the JLC. With many watch enthusiasts’ tendency to “catch and release” watches constantly, you will have less trading power with the JLC than the Rolex if you release. The MG and Reverso are very different watches with very different vibes, so it is difficult to compare head to head. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 10:43 PM   #19
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
The Reverso is an iconic piece. There are lots of variations in size and complications. Make sure you are getting the one that is best for you and be sure to try the JLC on before you buy.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 10:51 PM   #20
whited3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Speaking from personal experience you better try the JLC on your wrist. If you think the Daytona wears small, brace yourself for the grande reverso.

Aside from that i love the reverso and it's totally not a step down from the milgausse. In today's times the JLC is hardly a sports watch... not a different ballpark from the MG we're talking different planets. Just make sure it's what you want and go for it if so.
whited3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 11:06 PM   #21
3HandsNoDate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Two very different watches, both very cool. If you want to make the trade, make the trade! Anyone else's opinion should mean literally zero.
3HandsNoDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 11:15 PM   #22
hitman23
"TRF" Member

some interesting takes on JLC
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 12:10 AM   #23
bremersm
Banned

The JLC Reverso is a classic and something that should be in any collection. I would choose another model though as the dial on the GMT is too busy and the pushers ruin the balance.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 01:32 AM   #24
kearez
"TRF" Member

Two very different watches. JLC is step up in horological terms. On other than what’s your lifestyle, ready for a dress watch? Or want a watch with you don’t have to worry about.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 02:26 AM   #25
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Ha, You're funny!!
Old 8 August 2021, 02:40 AM   #26
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
As post #21 states.

If you want it, trade and the heck with what anyone else thinks or says.
Your decision, no one else's.

These oft-seen questions only add to the confusion with the "yes vs no" responses.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 02:55 AM   #27
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:

This, 100%.

I've held JLCs, tried them on, and all that good stuff.

Fragile, precocious, and a shell of what they used to be, in terms of quality. I hoped that TRF would change my mind, but there's no shortage of disappointing stories about poor experiences with the JLC service center in the States. Proceed at your own risk.

People like to talk up their "movement finishing." If that doesn't indicate said peoples' appreciation is superficial, I don't know what does. There's nothing particularly compelling about Reverso design; the only characteristics it has is that it rates in an outer case.

Big whoop.

I'd sooner suggest you hunt down a vintage Cartier Tank, or Tank Cintree. Hell, if you were dead-set on a JLC, consider their annual or perpetual calendars. At least you'll be getting complications for a reasonable price... but again, with a watch like that, you'll absolutely be minding how you move your wrist every moment you're wearing it.

Though anecdotal, I'm sure your own research will eventually yield similar results: Reversos tend to be among the very first watches to actually leave a collection. People realize that the rectangular case size isn't as compelling of a diverse contribution as other stuff. Some repairs, sparse wear, etc., and you'll be wondering why even at under MSRP you'd be struggling to find a buyer once you want out. If you're going to add it, fine- but don't do so at the expense of letting your Milgauss go.
Old 9 August 2021, 05:02 AM   #28
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
The fact they spammed your inbox should not sway OP!
I’ve never been a fan of the newer Milgauss, it felt top heavy and a Seamaster 300 had 15x gauss protection!!
If you prefer another brand, it’s not a sin. Go for it.
For me it’s more than this. How the front line people work is a direct instruction from the HQ. Having people from the flagship store in the homeland act as such is an indicator of what is happening within. Richemont is pushing for more sales and thus corporate is pushing for mailing and conversion rate etc. Instead of having a cool watch experience, you are just being harassed like you would with any other business. But this one doesn’t even care about you or your choices. It’s newsletter for everybody who dares giving out info. Not a luxury experience, and not even any an acceptable one, because I never consented to this.

If a company is behaving that way, I want nothing to do with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtobsessed View Post
This is an upgrade, in horological perpective
Depends. What makes an upgrade? More complex ? You could argue MG has material science behind it. Workmanship? Reverso is nice but not a piece of haute horlogerie. Swag? I would say they are not at the same level of hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
One could accurately say that for any luxury watch. Your bad personal experience with JLC doesn’t detract from the brand itself, or its watches. I personally wouldn’t do this trade for a Reverso, but throw in a MUT Moon or a Master Chronograph and I’d do it in a heartbeat.
I understand. And yes JLC does have nice models. But reverso, and an old one, isn’t really that interesting IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
Sorry but JLC are far more of a “watchmaker” than mechanised Rolex.

Really! That’s surely a better way to describe Rolex. At least people can buy a JLC at list prices!
JLC has heritage, but all the people who made the brand so great probably left. Now you just have Richemont asking employee to spam prospects with emails. I never got a single bad experience with Rolex, Patek or AP for the matter. Yes Rolex bought everyone out but they definitely have an expertise in watchmaking. Let’s see which model will still run in 10 years shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
This, 100%.

I've held JLCs, tried them on, and all that good stuff.

Fragile, precocious, and a shell of what they used to be, in terms of quality. I hoped that TRF would change my mind, but there's no shortage of disappointing stories about poor experiences with the JLC service center in the States. Proceed at your own risk.

People like to talk up their "movement finishing." If that doesn't indicate said peoples' appreciation is superficial, I don't know what does. There's nothing particularly compelling about Reverso design; the only characteristics it has is that it rates in an outer case.

Big whoop.

I'd sooner suggest you hunt down a vintage Cartier Tank, or Tank Cintree. Hell, if you were dead-set on a JLC, consider their annual or perpetual calendars. At least you'll be getting complications for a reasonable price... but again, with a watch like that, you'll absolutely be minding how you move your wrist every moment you're wearing it.

Though anecdotal, I'm sure your own research will eventually yield similar results: Reversos tend to be among the very first watches to actually leave a collection. People realize that the rectangular case size isn't as compelling of a diverse contribution as other stuff. Some repairs, sparse wear, etc., and you'll be wondering why even at under MSRP you'd be struggling to find a buyer once you want out. If you're going to add it, fine- but don't do so at the expense of letting your Milgauss go.
You and I are kindred spirits. I would even dare say that many JLC defender online never touched one or owned one either. In my entourage I have a few Reverso, and handled quite my fair share of JLC watches. And while yes they are, Swiss watches, they don’t have the usual gravitas. They are watches that are either excellent yet far away in term of price, or priced way above what I would say they are worth. The ultra high end stuff is good, but the actuals models you can buy aren’t really impressive. Yes you can see the caliber and yes they worked a bit the chamfers, but it’s not interesting IMO. What’s the point of going halfway. These are not finished to top notch standards, they have weird design decisions and it’s just a case of being a middle high end, which for me is just neither luxury nor affordable, so…
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 05:48 AM   #29
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
Trading for a JLC is a definite trade up not down.
I would go for a different model personally but horology wise JLC are a step up, they don’t hold value like a Rolex and that seems to be why many people think Rolex are better watches!
This. Horologically, it’s a superior watch, just like others that are considered less desirable (GP, Breguet, Blancpain, Zenith).

Remember, it is the movement of choice for high-and outsourcing, where an ETA simply wouldn’t do.

All that said, it’s a more delicate watch so I don’t know I’d trade my only Rolex for one.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2021, 06:33 AM   #30
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Assuming relatively equal interest in the pieces, I'd consider it with a bit of cash included with the JLC reverso.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote