The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 August 2021, 02:44 AM   #1
putterlert
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO, SS Daytona
Can someone talk me out of trading away my BLRO?

Hi everyone,

Just fishing some second opinions here... I'm about to sell my Pepsi Jubilee to buy a Laurent Ferrier Galet Micro Rotor (I will be adding around 15k to the trade).

I know that these two watches are completely different, but with the craziness that is the steel Rolex market, I would like to possibly take advantage of the situation and get into independents without spending too much money.

My current collection includes the BLRO, 116520 Daytona, BB58 Navy, vintage Zenith El Primero porcelain dial.

I'm pretty much 95% set on doing it, but wanted to hear if you all think this is a reasonable idea?
putterlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 02:48 AM   #2
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
If it makes sense to you do it. The LF is a beautiful watch.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 02:50 AM   #3
fnfiveseven
"TRF" Member

Honestly you don't need our opinion and since its a Rolex forum, most people would be against it. Sounds like you are pretty set anyway so just do it.

I personally love the BLRO so my opinion would be very biased. :)
fnfiveseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 02:50 AM   #4
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by putterlert View Post
Hi everyone,

Just fishing some second opinions here... I'm about to sell my Pepsi Jubilee to buy a Laurent Ferrier Galet Micro Rotor (I will be adding around 15k to the trade).

I know that these two watches are completely different, but with the craziness that is the steel Rolex market, I would like to possibly take advantage of the situation and get into independents without spending too much money.

My current collection includes the BLRO, 116520 Daytona, BB58 Navy, vintage Zenith El Primero porcelain dial.

I'm pretty much 95% set on doing it, but wanted to hear if you all think this is a reasonable idea?

beautiful watch, but i love the blro. so different. godspeed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yisrael42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 02:54 AM   #5
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
You already answered you own ? my man.. Get what you like and will wear
Polarexplorerii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:00 AM   #6
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
My 2c longer term. Keep the blro for its complication and design cues.

If you are set on LF then well tough to change your mind. If it were a FPJ then a different response but my take is not for the LF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:01 AM   #7
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15400 OR
Quote:
Hi everyone,

That’s a hard call, obviously. You may never see the BLRO again and (a) you don’t have enough special Rolex models, like the BLNR, a Hulk or a ceramic Daytona, while (b) there are so many utterly beautiful Calatravas available at great prices. Patek 6119 sounds like a more tempting trade. But, hey, I think the idea of selling a crazy popular piece today for a truly beautiful, perhaps chronologically superior, piece is the right way to think.

With all that said (sorry to sound so equivocal) I would. I’ve never seen the LF and it is beautiful.
MiloDiThernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:13 AM   #8
vengapat
"TRF" Member

The micro roter looks like a cheap Nordstrom watch - really? I wouldn’t give the BLRO away for the LF if they paid ME!
vengapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:23 AM   #9
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
I wouldn't, and think you'll have seller's remorse if you do; just MHO. It's your decision. The BLRO is the last watch I'd part with. To me the LF micro rotor looks quite unremarkable.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:24 AM   #10
skp
"TRF" Member

Are you going to miss it? I would miss it unless I have something else that partially satisfies what I love about the watch or I knew that I could get another one a few years down the road.
skp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:29 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Do you have any sentimental attachment to the BLRO? If you do, best not to do it.

Otherwise, full send
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:31 AM   #12
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
When Laurent dies, it’ll all be worth it.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:35 AM   #13
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Personally, the laurent feels very boring. I googled it and fell asleep upon seeing pictures.

I would not do this, but like you said you’re already 95% there. Seems like insanity to me, but to each their own

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:37 AM   #14
putterlert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Do you have any sentimental attachment to the BLRO? If you do, best not to do it.

Otherwise, full send
Nope, nothing sentimental. My rationale is that Rolex makes millions of watches a year, if I really wanted to buy a Pepsi back in the future, I can (hundreds listed on Chrono at any moment). LF makes 1-200 watches a year... no so easy to come by.
Old 28 August 2021, 03:43 AM   #15
RotaryRider
"TRF" Member

Put the BLRO aside for a minute. Assume you have the cash to pay for the LF. Tell us more about why you want the LF (not challenging your want, just want to understand your reasons), and what if anything you have compared it against...
RotaryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:49 AM   #16
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Why do you have to trade? Just buy the new one when you can afford it. And you better want to hold the LF for life, as you will get creamed if you ever want to sell it (if you could sell it)
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:51 AM   #17
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Nope, nothing sentimental. My rationale is that Rolex makes millions of watches a year, if I really wanted to buy a Pepsi back in the future, I can (hundreds listed on Chrono at any moment). LF makes 1-200 watches a year... no so easy to come by.
Did you pay grey for the BLRO?

If so, then I believe this statement...

If not, then I refuse to believe you'll pay grey after tasting MSRP...
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:54 AM   #18
Airbag79
"TRF" Member

I would do it. Rolex bubble is bursting in t-minus 8-12 months, along with the rest of the economy
Airbag79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 03:59 AM   #19
JPBlackBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
60% of the time, it works every time.
JPBlackBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 04:01 AM   #20
putterlert
"TRF" Member

I do have the cash to pay for the LF, I'm just thinking about offloading the BLRO as I have a one in one out policy and don't really wanna be sitting on too many watches.

I paid grey on the BLRO, but during covid and got it for significantly below where its trading now.
Old 28 August 2021, 04:02 AM   #21
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
A pic of the watch you are trading for would be nice.

But with that said, get what you want. I’d rather have the blro since i have no connection with that indy company. If for an FPJ then maaaaaaybee but i doubt it bc blro is so easy to wear for any occasion imo.

Edit: i saw that you got your blro grey. I say do it. Lol
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 04:29 AM   #22
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

No doubt the LF is a nice watch. But they arent even on my radar as i prefer sports watches on bracelets. So dress watch on strap is out of the question. You sure you're gonna wear it? I could trade my daytona and pepsi for a patek 5960 (more or less same secondary market value) and its not a questionable trade money-wise. But would I wear it? Once in a while maybe. Nothing like my daytona or my pepsi... much less both combined. No imagine unloading it... what kind of hit are we looking at? Easy pass for me as its just not my taste.
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 04:36 AM   #23
putterlert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaya View Post
No doubt the LF is a nice watch. But they arent even on my radar as i prefer sports watches on bracelets. So dress watch on strap is out of the question. You sure you're gonna wear it? I could trade my daytona and pepsi for a patek 5960 (more or less same secondary market value) and its not a questionable trade money-wise. But would I wear it? Once in a while maybe. Nothing like my daytona or my pepsi... much less both combined. No imagine unloading it... what kind of hit are we looking at? Easy pass for me as its just not my taste.
While it is true that it will probably be worn less than my Pepsi just because of its dressy nature, I can't help but feel enamored by the level of finishing on LF's and also its rarity.

For reference, I'm buying the LF at around 20-25k below retail (the initially buyer no doubt took a huge hit).
Old 28 August 2021, 04:46 AM   #24
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Personally, the laurent feels very boring.
Yip
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 05:21 AM   #25
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Probably very uncommon for someone to be, essentially, cross-shopping these two pieces. (By that I mean that you can only have one of them.) They almost couldn't be more different. A mass-produced, daily-wear, GMT sport watch (albeit one of the best made, best recognized, in highest demand, & demanding a very high after-market price premium) vs. a hand made (I think LF makes about 200 watches/year), occasional-wear, haute-horologie dress watch from a small, extremely highly regarded (think Journe, Voutilainen, Grubel-Forsey level) independent watchmaker that (at least at this time), is not hyped & will (at least for now) lose value out-the-door.

The Laurent-Ferrier is a refined, under-the-RADAR dress watch- a real connoisseur's piece- and, it's easy for me to spend your money, but I'd buy it & keep the GMT if at all possible, unless you never wear the BLRO & won't have "seller's regret" (and there are a lot of threads about "seller's regret").

FWIW, I, personally, prefer the Galet Square to the Classic (round), but that's just my aesthetic preference (plus I, like many here, have so many round watches).

Which reference is it? At 20-25K below retail I think it's a no-brainer.

TLDR: Buy it if you love it and appreciate it & will wear it; keep the BLRO if financially doable- you can sell it later if you have to (the market probably won't crash that fast- if it ever does).
Old 28 August 2021, 05:25 AM   #26
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

I somewhat understand. I lusted after the Pepsi for so many years. When I finally acquired it at retail, I didn’t love it quite as much as I thought I would. It has been sitting brand new in box, never worn for a year now.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 05:35 AM   #27
putterlert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Stu View Post
Probably very uncommon for someone to be, essentially, cross-shopping these two pieces. (By that I mean that you can only have one of them.) They almost couldn't be more different. A mass-produced, daily-wear, GMT sport watch (albeit one of the best made, best recognized, in highest demand, & demanding a very high after-market price premium) vs. a hand made (I think LF makes about 200 watches/year), occasional-wear, haute-horologie dress watch from a small, extremely highly regarded (think Journe, Voutilainen, Grubel-Forsey level) independent watchmaker that (at least at this time), is not hyped & will (at least for now) lose value out-the-door.

The Laurent-Ferrier is a refined, under-the-RADAR dress watch- a real connoisseur's piece- and, it's easy for me to spend your money, but I'd buy it & keep the GMT if at all possible, unless you never wear the BLRO & won't have "seller's regret" (and there are a lot of threads about "seller's regret").

FWIW, I, personally, prefer the Galet Square to the Classic (round), but that's just my aesthetic preference (plus I, like many here, have so many round watches).

Which reference is it? At 20-25K below retail I think it's a no-brainer.

TLDR: Buy it if you love it and appreciate it & will wear it; keep the BLRO if financially doable- you can sell it later if you have to (the market probably won't crash that fast- if it ever does).
Probably the best response yet, thanks Doc. I'll probably hang on to my Pepsi for a bit and also buy the LF.
Old 28 August 2021, 05:38 AM   #28
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Personally, the laurent feels very boring. I googled it and fell asleep upon seeing pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 06:12 AM   #29
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Can someone talk me out of trading away my BLRO?

Go for it! You have a sophisticated taste. Most people on this forum will disagree, but that shouldn’t(and probably won’t) deter you

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 06:14 AM   #30
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
You already answered you own ? my man.. Get what you like and will wear

Yep, do you homie.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote