The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2021, 02:16 AM   #31
Snerks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
I don't pay $59K for a watch I can buy for $39K. I much prefer that extra $20K remain with me. Simple as that.
Very, very few people, can buy that watch for 39k. And those that can, spent well over 20k to their ADs in other areas. Whether you like it or not, its a 59k watch.
Snerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 02:16 AM   #32
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Agree with above if you can afford it just go for it I would just tell myself if I wanted to sell I’d probably lose ten per cent, but from my experience models like this just go up in price anyway. no biggie , go for it ! The models with premiums have those premiums because they’re nye impossible to get for your average joe. Don’t wait and buy now is my M.O
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 02:52 AM   #33
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
No 50-60k price range….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 04:51 AM   #34
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snerks View Post
Very, very few people, can buy that watch for 39k. And those that can, spent well over 20k to their ADs in other areas. Whether you like it or not, its a 59k watch.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 04:57 AM   #35
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I do not judge people that do and there are arguments many pieces at grey are still smart buys, but so far I have not bought anything over retail and don't plan to.

Personally, it would take away from my enjoyment of the watch if I looked at it and thought of the premium. Some get bothered by "misaligned" crowns on the rehaut or not having a "lucky crown" facing up and none of those bother me, but paying over retail would bother me.

Then again, it is all relative and I bet if I had a few more zeros in my accounts, I would be less bothered....
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 05:27 AM   #36
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Having given this some thought, I’d probably ask my AD for a RG DD in any color and confirm with AD/RSC that a dial swap is possible. Assuming it is possible, I’d just wait for a non-olive dial at the AD and then decide if it was worth swapping out.

To be fair, I think the reference is beautiful, but I don’t fully understand the premium for the dial as I find all of the RG DD dials to be beautiful, and I actually think the RG olive dial would be hard to “match” with the clothing I typically wear. To me, the sundust and white dials really allow the rose gold to shine, whereas the olive dial sort of steals the show with this reference.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 05:30 AM   #37
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
Having given this some thought, I’d probably ask my AD for a RG DD in any color and confirm with AD/RSC that a dial swap is possible. Assuming it is possible, I’d just wait for a non-olive dial at the AD and then decide if it was worth swapping out.

To be fair, I think the reference is beautiful, but I don’t fully understand the premium for the dial as I find all of the RG DD dials to be beautiful, and I actually think the RG olive dial would be hard to “match” with the clothing I typically wear.

I don't know this definitively, but I would bet RSC will not swap for this anniversary dial. There is a precedent where Rolex does not do swaps on super in-demand dials. i.e. green dial on the YG Daytona.

Also, try not to worry too much about matching your watch to your outfits. A watch is an accessory and does not need to match. It can complement but does not need to match.
Old 23 September 2021, 07:53 AM   #38
Farsh14
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Green Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
Is your AD able to secure a “regular” (they’re all equally special) dialled RG DD40? If so, call RSC and confirm if olive green dial swaps are still possible. (They were last I heard.) If that’s the case, buy a different dial and get the dial swapped (see if you can keep the original dial too in case you want to go back later). You’ll save money vs grey and you’ll have more of a dealer relationship (useful for next time).

If you can’t dial swap and you’re worried that it will be cancelled, well, only you can decide if it’s worth it. But I’d look into the dial swap first. Just ask the AD and RSC and get a confirmation for both before proceeding. If they won’t dial swap a brand new watch, you could try and find one that is less than five years old (still has warranty), dial swap it and get it serviced at the same time (so warranty for any big items and then 2 more years covered post RSC servicing). Just some suggestions
Is it just DD that they’ll do a dial swap? Curious to see if they would do it for a DJ
Farsh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 08:06 AM   #39
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsh14 View Post
Is it just DD that they’ll do a dial swap? Curious to see if they would do it for a DJ
Yes, they will generally swap a DJ dial as long as the new dial was originally offered to your reference. You will have to pay for the new dial and Rolex will keep the old dial - you don't get both dials.
Old 23 September 2021, 08:20 AM   #40
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Yes, they will generally swap a DJ dial as long as the new dial was originally offered to your reference. You will have to pay for the new dial and Rolex will keep the old dial - you don't get both dials.
True, but they kind of caught on with what's been happening, meaning, people buy the less desirable dial version, have it swapped out, and sell it for a profit. I think if they do let you do it, you have to wait a certain amount of time since the day of purchase before they do the swap, if they even do the swap at all, not sure.
Old 23 September 2021, 09:22 AM   #41
RolexRon456
"TRF" Member

I would try and get this instead
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 212B5482-EB82-4834-AE50-FDB7BECB69CC.jpeg (47.6 KB, 298 views)
RolexRon456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 10:04 AM   #42
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post

To be fair, I think the reference is beautiful, but I don’t fully understand the premium for the dial as I find all of the RG DD dials to be beautiful, and I actually think the RG olive dial would be hard to “match” with the clothing I typically wear. To me, the sundust and white dials really allow the rose gold to shine, whereas the olive dial sort of steals the show with this reference.
yeah the green makes it kinda hard to wear as a daily and also it's a fad now so no one knows how it will age. i do think that's one of the nicest references rolex has out of all their models though so it's one of those things where you probably just say screw it and wear it with whatever just because. i think the chocolate dial fits in the hard to match category as well. i wonder if they'll ever introduce a rhodium dial because i think that one looks amazing on the skydweller
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 10:07 AM   #43
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
hell naw
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 11:48 AM   #44
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRon456 View Post

I sadly dislike all blue dial watches. Don’t kill me guys! This olive green is about as wild as I’ll get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 03:52 PM   #45
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Not me.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 04:44 PM   #46
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
When you say premium, do not forget that is over the retail price, which has currently nothing to do with the market one. And mind you consider as well that pieces of same content at PP and VC cost in retail quite over the current market price of DD. So, you may easily bet that it is a matter of a few years to have the retail catching up with market price at Rolex in general.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 05:20 PM   #47
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
If the Grey price was less than retail then, yes.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 05:31 PM   #48
Bigmozza
"TRF" Member

Love this watch one of my favourites the olive dial is amazing, but would never go grey for any watch no matter what
Bigmozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 06:22 PM   #49
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

very hard to get from the 2 ADs i have contact with. PM models are basically out of stock for the rest of the year and possibly H1 2022.

But i wont pay grey price for it. there r better ways to spend money.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 12:22 AM   #50
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
To be honest, no, I wouldn't. But not b/c of the premium, it's just not on my radar.

No offense to the owners...it's an incredibly beautiful timepiece. But, here's my two cents: Whenever I hear the word 'discontinued,' it rarely matches up with reality. Rolex tends to do things very deliberately and not for quick bursts of time...so, if you're buying with the mindset the watch is being discontinued anytime soon, then I would re-think that.

If, however, you just can't live without it and your AD can't help you out, well, heck yes.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:35 PM   #51
DTphil
"TRF" Member

It’s trading for $75k now. Please tell me who is paying these prices. I really want one, I just feel like a sucker paying that. With all your guys experience, will I ever be able to buy that at retail or has the grey market ever gone down?
DTphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:57 PM   #52
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Negative.
Old 9 November 2021, 11:57 PM   #53
JodyHighroller
Banned

I just saw one listed today on here for $72k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTphil View Post
It’s trading for $75k now. Please tell me who is paying these prices. I really want one, I just feel like a sucker paying that. With all your guys experience, will I ever be able to buy that at retail or has the grey market ever gone down?
It’s very difficult now, but your chances of getting one at an AD will be bettter outside the Miami area. I wouldn’t bother within the city.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:25 AM   #54
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
never.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:34 AM   #55
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRon456 View Post
This is one of the most beautiful timepiece also but it isn’t available.

I try to order this timepiece but VC AD asked me to purchase other models that sit in their shop for years before I can order this one. I told them I have never purchased something that I don’t want to get something I want.

Rolex RG Day-Date Olive dial is the most gorgeous timepiece but the market price is seems too high now. It’s better to wait at your AD, I don’t think they will discontinue soon.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:38 AM   #56
Neom
Banned

I also wouldn't do it
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:40 AM   #57
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
I see no harm if you like the watch. You likely will never lose a dime if you go to sell.
jgottsman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:32 AM   #58
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Looking for some feedback. Am I out of my mind to be considering paying grey for the RG Olive day day 40?
The question is meaningless without knowing what that price is.

However, I think the watch is overpriced at MSRP.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:37 AM   #59
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I see no harm if you like the watch. You likely will never lose a dime if you go to sell.
Sorry, no, I think this is bad advice. He'll be paying a premium market retail price for a new watch, and you think that in a year or two when he tries to sell a used watch at wholesale pricing, it will be the same price or higher?

It's one thing to send a wire to a "trusted seller" or brick & mortar retailer than it is to some dude on the Internet selling a used watch with little to no sales feedback. It ain't so easy to sell a $60K watch by yourself. Heck, it's not so easy selling a $20K watch.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:42 AM   #60
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Sorry, no, I think this is bad advice. He'll be paying a premium market retail price for a new watch, and you think that in a year or two when he tries to sell a used watch at wholesale pricing, it will be the same price or higher?

It's one thing to send a wire to a "trusted seller" or brick & mortar retailer than it is to some dude on the Internet selling a used watch with little to no sales feedback. It ain't so easy to sell a $60K watch by yourself. Heck, it's not so easy selling a $20K watch.
I agree.

In the near term, you’ll be at a loss since you paid market and you’ll most likely be upside down if you try to resell. It all depends if you plan to hold long term and what the future market will be like.

Point being, if you’re purchasing at market price, make sure you like the reference! Market purchasing isn’t ideal for those who may be indecisive.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote