The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 October 2021, 10:19 AM   #1
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Local MeetUp proposal

Hello collectors and enthusiasts
I’m trying to find a local in person meetup around Boston area especially after the pandemic has been slowing down in progression now. Hitting dead ends in every possible direction. Anyone know of any local meet up group or get together of like minded watch collectors? Would be greatly appreciated if I can ask for info on any such group locally. Eager to network.

#keep the bug alive#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PoojanDhanesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 12:17 PM   #2
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Just to throw this out there…headlines read “like minded Patek collectors show up with their watches and are held at gun point by criminals that supposedly set up the meet.”

Basically, people will bring watches to be robbed?? Not that I don’t trust what’s posted here or on any forum BUT….No thanks on the meet up! Chime in if others think differently…

PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 12:58 PM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Just to throw this out there…headlines read “like minded Patek collectors show up with their watches and are held at gun point by criminals that supposedly set up the meet.”

Basically, people will bring watches to be robbed?? Not that I don’t trust what’s posted here or on any forum BUT….No thanks on the meet up! Chime in if others think differently…

Sadly, this was my first thought too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 03:47 PM   #4
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post

This^^^. While the intent might be good, no way would I go unless I knew 100% of people who are planning to show up.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 10:10 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Local MeetUp proposal

Let’s say 11pm Jamaica plain Saturday night?

Bring your own 40oz + favorite Patek
Old 26 October 2021, 12:14 PM   #6
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry my words were misleading. I guess I should’ve gauged the sensitivity to the subject and approached accordingly. I’m a novice watch enthusiast and would genuinely like to ‘talk’ watches. I was merely implying to a meetup (regardless of you bringing out your priced pieces) to be able to rub off of collectors like all of you in New England who are not opposed to the idea of sharing the journey so far and helping a relative amateur with walking his journey following the footsteps.
So let me reframe, would either of you be interested in meeting up to talk watches?
Totally understand if it’s unreasonable to some and wouldn’t hold any hard feelings. Good luck to one and all.

Old 26 October 2021, 01:12 PM   #7
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
The last post in this Boston GTG thread was last month, so there appears to be some interest there.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=720557
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 11:08 PM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I've attended many TRF related GTGs over the years, in London, Boca, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, and a vintage specific gathering w/ the help of my local watchmaker in my own backyard.

All were very enjoyable and it was great to match a face w/ a name. Many great stories and more than a few friendships made.

However, with today's environment there is no way I'd coordinate or even participate unless I already knew who would attend. Sad to say but just to risky and the worry would surpass the enjoyment.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 08:04 AM   #9
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
The last post in this Boston GTG thread was last month, so there appears to be some interest there.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=720557

Thank you much. Will keep a lookout for future events.

Old 29 October 2021, 08:08 AM   #10
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I've attended many TRF related GTGs over the years, in London, Boca, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, and a vintage specific gathering w/ the help of my local watchmaker in my own backyard.

All were very enjoyable and it was great to match a face w/ a name. Many great stories and more than a few friendships made.

However, with today's environment there is no way I'd coordinate or even participate unless I already knew who would attend. Sad to say but just to risky and the worry would surpass the enjoyment.
dP

Totally understandable. So glad you’ve had a good exposure so far with meetups! Sadly my generation of new/budding enthusiasts would only have limited and probably not memory worthy experiences should this be the case of face to face meetups dying down off of trust issues. I would really love to see a Chance or a hopeful gateway for the novice of my caliber to meet with veterans of your likeness and share the passion towards watches. Thank you for replying. Hope to meet with you someday in person. Good luck.

Old 31 October 2021, 11:57 PM   #11
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoojanDhanesha View Post
Totally understandable. So glad you’ve had a good exposure so far with meetups! Sadly my generation of new/budding enthusiasts would only have limited and probably not memory worthy experiences should this be the case of face to face meetups dying down off of trust issues. I would really love to see a Chance or a hopeful gateway for the novice of my caliber to meet with veterans of your likeness and share the passion towards watches. Thank you for replying. Hope to meet with you someday in person. Good luck.

Not only were these GTGs a lot of fun, they were also very informative, and gave members the chance to examine references they might not ever get a chance to see in person. My wife attended a handful with me and thoroughly enjoyed meeting the interesting cross section of people. More than a few of the TRF GTGs were connected to the forum give always, which made it exciting for the attendees as well as the entire forum.

But even back in 2009 when my watchmaker & I teamed up for a vintage TRF GTG I was concerned about possible security issues and broached the subject. My watchmaker said it was already taken care of. He had hired an armed guard and closed his store for the GTG.

It would be sad to see a GTG go wrong. You would almost have to implement airport style security and background checks to create some sort of comfort level.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 12:16 AM   #12
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I met and made real friends from Vegas and Beverly Hills GTGs.

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 01:58 PM   #13
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Not only were these GTGs a lot of fun, they were also very informative, and gave members the chance to examine references they might not ever get a chance to see in person. My wife attended a handful with me and thoroughly enjoyed meeting the interesting cross section of people. More than a few of the TRF GTGs were connected to the forum give always, which made it exciting for the attendees as well as the entire forum.

But even back in 2009 when my watchmaker & I teamed up for a vintage TRF GTG I was concerned about possible security issues and broached the subject. My watchmaker said it was already taken care of. He had hired an armed guard and closed his store for the GTG.

It would be sad to see a GTG go wrong. You would almost have to implement airport style security and background checks to create some sort of comfort level.
dP

Hey Dan
Thank you for the follow up on the subject. I’m sorry I’ve been a little sick didn’t get to respond to you in time. But that sounds almost unbelievable to me what your experience has been since now there’s a slim chance to find genuine interest in GTGs with enough mutual trust. It definitely makes a lot of sense as to how many aspects play out into planning a successful meetup without a mishap and I just hope someday I get to make meaningful connections with a more personable approach.

Old 6 November 2021, 01:59 PM   #14
PoojanDhanesha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I met and made real friends from Vegas and Beverly Hills GTGs.

That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing the experience.