The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2022, 04:53 AM   #31
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
The AD that is local to me had many hot models. They appeared to be the real thing, including fully stickered.

Are the exhibition models that are “dummy models” stickered at all?

That might be one way of distinguishing.

They were all working watches at the AD I went to..not dummy watches. The AD supposedly doesn't have the warranty cards so they can't sell them (to retail customers at least).
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:32 AM   #32
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
I saw them at a few ADs but I failed to note if they had serial numbers. Do they? If not, then they can't be sold and will likely be destroyed when they are discontinued.

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:36 AM   #33
VG10
"TRF" Member

My AD said they are real working watches but without a working power reserve
VG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:09 AM   #34
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG10 View Post
My AD said they are real working watches but without a working power reserve

I think they just make this stuff up. The AD I was in at Xmas had two £75k DD's with gems all over. Can't imagine you'd ship expensive stuff out like that incomplete. All the display watches were either PM or had diamonds and they were all priced up. A really odd blingy selection considering the AD was located in an ancient historical city over here. Not a single sports model to be seen out of the 20 odd on display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:28 AM   #35
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

They are all real working models. My AD recently got quite a few (though certainly not the entire Rolex line). My salesman has no reason to lie to me based on our relationship. He essentially told me what others have said here. They are not for sale. They aren't sure what Rolex intends for them to do with them long term. He suspects they will eventually be for sale. That's pretty much it.

Rolex doesn't want their watch cases empty. It's a bad look and I am sure ADs complained after they have been asked by Rolex expand their counterspace and open boutiques for the brand specifically.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:05 AM   #36
telesquire
Banned

I still find it hard to believe they have half a million quid of stock just sat there, that was my rough MSRP estimate of the ones I saw at the AD priced up in December. Odd concept. Dummy watches of regular models to attract new customers I get, but these were oddball PM/Gemset pieces.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 08:30 AM   #37
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

It's probably Rolex's standard for their representative present the watch to customer to try on with their gloves on and fully stickered as always.

They probably will sell when the timing is absolutely right.
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 09:24 AM   #38
PA Zu
"TRF" Member

Just got back from AD to pick up my new yellow OP - which is very cool!

They had exhibition pieces in, which made it fun to see so many models in the flesh. For whatever it is worth, SA said she has heard that other stores have had to have customers removed from the premises after the customer lost their minds because they couldn’t buy an exhibition piece. With all the videos of bad behavior on flights and in other types of stores the goes viral everyday, I could definitely see this happening.
PA Zu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 09:51 AM   #39
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Soooooo... in summary from this thread, we've learnt the following about exhibition models -

a) They aren't real pieces (i.e. demo only), but they weigh the same at the real ones.
b) They are real, owned by the AD, but the AD doesn't get warranty cards, so can't sell them.
c) They are real, owned by the AD, and ARE for sale if you're a VIP.
d) They are real, but have defects so can't be sold.
e) They are real, owned by the AD, and are only used for exhibition before a client picks it up.
f) They are real, owned by the AD, and are sold on rotation when new inventory is delivered.
g) They are real, but owned by Rolex, not the AD, so can't be sold.
h) Rolex boutiques have dummy exhibition models, but ADs have real models, but no warranty cards so can't sell them.
i) They are real, but the movements are 'locked'.
j) They are real, fully working, but are 'permanent exhibition pieces', never to be sold.
k) They are real, owned by the AD and can be sold, but only if they can keep a certain % in stock at all times.
l) They are real, but without a mainspring so can't hold a power reserve.

Cool. Glad we got to the bottom of that one then!
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 09:57 AM   #40
PA Zu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Soooooo... in summary from this thread, we've learnt the following about exhibition models -

a) They aren't real pieces (i.e. demo only), but they weigh the same at the real ones.
b) They are real, owned by the AD, but the AD doesn't get warranty cards, so can't sell them.
e) They are real, owned by the AD, and are only used for exhibition before a client picks it up.
f) They are real, owned by the AD, and are sold on rotation when new inventory is delivered.
h) Rolex boutiques have dummy exhibition models, but ADs have real models, but no warranty cards so can't sell them.
j) They are real, fully working, but are 'permanent exhibition pieces', never to be sold.
k) They are real, owned by the AD and can be sold, but only if they can keep a certain % in stock at all times.

Ha ha! Your summary nails it!!!
PA Zu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 10:30 AM   #41
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
My ad said they are real watches with movements that are disabled and that they have to be returned back to Rolex. I asked what it would take to make them full functional models, but her wasn't sure.
Old 13 January 2022, 01:20 PM   #42
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB "Bluesy"
My AD had many display only models the other day. They received the watches but no warranty cards for them so they can't sell them for a period of time. My AD speculated he would have to display them for 6 months to a year before he could sell them

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bruno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 02:33 PM   #43
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

I think the conclusion is it varies country to country and even then, AD to AD. There are some real "exhibition models" out there but many are just real stock the AD needs to keep on display as instructed by Rolex.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 11:09 PM   #44
dannyp
Banned

I think there are two, possibly three, classes of "display-only" models. The first two are:

1. Non-functioning, owned by Rolex, not part of AD inventory. These were the original display models, in select stores, and typically included a fairly standard assortment of hot, but not the hottest, watches (Sub Date, OP41 Green, SkyD, TT Daytona, BLNR, Explorer I/II, and others).

2. Functioning, to-be-sold-eventually, part of AD inventory. When Rolex was encouraging ADs to keep a minimum number of watches in the case, with the guidelines that when the next shipment arrived, those in the case could be sold.

Sounds like there may be a third category, where Rolex is enforcing its category 2 suggestions by withholding warranty cards for a period.

However, I don't think that the non-working, Rolex-owned models will be cycled directly into AD inventory. Rolex would never let AD watchmakers remove the block that keeps them from functioning - that would have to be done by Rolex.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 11:37 PM   #45
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
Back in good old days when I started collecting. Watches sat in the case for so long and went through so many hands. They sold it as new I don’t see nothing wrong with it at all. Just like other watches in stores, how many people ask to try on for example Omega Speedmaster when it hit the store and they still sell it as new. Nothing wrong with that either.
I remember this was always a divisive topic with the one camp of just buy it vs the other of not wanting something others had touched. It ranked right up there with the people who had to have the latest serial number to get the newest piece back when you could date them using it.

In the past you could always ask for the dealer to order you a "fresh" one or see if they would discount on the display model, but now I don't think either is an option unless you have a very strong purchase history with them.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 11:53 PM   #46
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I completely get this new "display model" approach. These ADs are being asked to dedicate more and more counter space to Rolex. My local AD is literally expanding the size of their location and building a separate, unique section of the store for Rolex. Obviously their sales are fine considering Rolex watches are flying out the door, but if I were the owner of an AD, I'd be pretty pissed if a brand was asking me to do all this when it essentially had zero effect on my sales (because they are more or less maximized at the moment) and all I would have is more empty space.

If anything, and certainly I don't know any of this for sure, I'd imagine the "display model" approach is Rolex's response to ADs complaining. At least if they are going to dedicate more space to the brand, they should have product to fill it with; even if it is only for show. The only thing that sucks, is now the salesmen and women can't just point to an empty display. They need to sit there and explain 100 times a day that the models aren't for sale and no amount over MSRP is going to change that.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 02:07 AM   #47
karleone
"TRF" Member

There are two types
1) non functioning watches sent directory by Rolex and these ones can’t be sold. They are all set at 10:10:31seconds and 28 for the date.

2) what they call « exhibition only » watches that are real watches that of course can be sold but ADs will tell you they are not. If you are a big client enough or if you buy a full diamond lady Datejust these watches could become by miracle available for sale.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 02:13 AM   #48
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
There are two types
1) non functioning watches sent directory by Rolex and these ones can’t be sold. They are all set at 10:10:31seconds and 28 for the date.

2) what they call « exhibition only » watches that are real watches that of course can be sold but ADs will tell you they are not. If you are a big client enough or if you buy a full diamond lady Datejust these watches could become by miracle available for sale.
Though in all likelihood, they were offered to "big enough" clients prior to even hitting the case.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:44 PM   #49
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB "Bluesy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
There are two types

According to my AD when he received the display only models he thought he was going to deliver them to vip clients that had been waiting for while.

However, when he read the letter he received from Rolex that came with the watches it said he had to display them, he could not sell them yet and Rolex could inventory them at anytime. The watches arrived in plastic coffins with no accompanying boxes or warranty cards.

He speculated he would have to hold them for 6 months or more before he received the warranty cards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bruno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 02:27 AM   #50
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

My thoughts exactly
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote