The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 April 2022, 02:02 PM   #1
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

MoonSwatch Fiasco...

For the longest time I had not been so excited to get a watch as I was for the Omega X Swatch MoonSwatch. Now, after only two weeks, and after an overdose of hype and resellers on social media I've lost most of my interest

Anyone else in the same situation?
Old 11 April 2022, 04:47 PM   #2
subdownunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Never had any interest.

I collect watches not plastic rubbish that ends up in landfill when the electronics fail
subdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 05:02 PM   #3
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Nope. Still looking forward to getting a few for myself and my kids. Even my wife likes them - so I may pick up 5-7 pieces.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 05:33 PM   #4
colpol
"TRF" Member

Agree - really wanted to get my hands on one when announced

Wanted to pick up 2. One to wear/ one to keep back as part of my collection

Impossible to pick up & pieces going for £1k + on resale sites on a £207 watch

Will just bide my time till the hype dies down. Good luck to the resellers if people stupid enough to pay.
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 07:03 PM   #5
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Yea agree, cheap compared to most watches I'd buy and I definitely wanted one but the more I think about them the more they seem like disposable plastic tat that I'd never wear.
They don't have a purpose for me, they wouldn't stand up as a beater and even so I can't imagine wearing one over a Seiko SKK009, if I wanted to wear something a bit quirky I'd go for a vintage Casio.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 07:12 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

The leaking chemicals from the case caused me to lose interest.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 07:22 PM   #7
Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdownunder View Post
Never had any interest.

I collect watches not plastic rubbish that ends up in landfill when the electronics fail
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 07:54 PM   #8
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
Agree - really wanted to get my hands on one when announced

Wanted to pick up 2. One to wear/ one to keep back as part of my collection

Impossible to pick up & pieces going for £1k + on resale sites on a £207 watch

Will just bide my time till the hype dies down. Good luck to the resellers if people stupid enough to pay.
Have you checked the stores?

Because there are a lot of stores that have received new inventory a week afterwards only no one knows about it and it isn't posted on every forum and people aren't hyping it up anymore.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 08:44 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I was interested but that has waned and like many new releases that I can not get my hands on, I now do not want one. I get the hype but in the end, Swatch/Omega could have done a better job at getting the watch out. It is one thing to play games with a Rolex/PP/AP but a plastic Swatch? The Swatch brand is at least partially about fun watches that you do not have to take so seriously but with this new release they have put a bad taste in many consumers mouths on a lot of levels.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 08:44 PM   #10
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post

Because there are a lot of stores that have received new inventory a week afterwards only no one knows about it and it isn't posted on every forum and people aren't hyping it up anymore.
How do you know this if no one knows about it?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 08:51 PM   #11
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
How do you know this if no one knows about it?

Because it isn't posted on every forum or topic, but the word does goes around that stores are being restocked and you can walk in and buy them. Remember, they still get sold fast but the chance to get one is there. Too many people rather cry they can't get one but aren't even trying and visit the stores.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 09:11 PM   #12
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Many stores have been receiving them. However, from what I hear, people line up at the stores every day hoping for a restock that day.
Here in Seoul, there is one store that has them. I was in the area the past 2 weekends and each time, there was a line of about 25 people. I spoke to the manager and he said that pretty much every day the last 2 weeks, 20-30 people have been lining up in the morning. They have been getting around 25 watches every couple of days. This past Sat, they received about 30 and were all bought up right away.

As for resale prices...it seems that they have been coming down (at least on StockX).
Neptune, Mercury, and Moon sells for ~$1K....but the other versions can be had for under $500.
I actually bought the Pluto for $447. With customs fees to Korea, shipping, etc...it was just over $500. I was fine paying this as I don't know how long it will be until these will be readily available. Once they are, I plan on buying a few more (Uranus, Mars, Neptune). But for the time being, at least my itch is taken care of without paying outrageous (in my opinion) 2ndary prices.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 09:14 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The leaking chemicals from the case caused me to lose interest.
Have to admit I haven’t followed this very closely …. what’s the short story to this?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 09:43 PM   #14
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Not sure why the "overdose of hype" has anything to do with a watch that you genuinely were excited about, but I'm sure the constant hype and posting will die down in couple months when these should become easily attainable in shops.

And even so, for $260, I don't think it will break the bank to not like it after you get it for a week or two?
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 11:03 PM   #15
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I thought it was neat at first and was prepared to buy the Mission to the Moon version when it was announced. However, after the release and chaos, I went in another direction. Ended up putting that money towards a Seiko "King Samurai" and have zero desire for one of these anymore.

I'm not fully against the concept, I think it's cool and good for the younger enthusiast. However, a bit disappointing with the quality issues, especially with the Omega brand on the dial.

Different strokes for different folks, and I'm no longer interested for my own personal reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Have to admit I haven’t followed this very closely …. what’s the short story to this?
The version below (and potentially others as well) have been transfering dye to the wrists of owners. Swatch claims it's non-toxic, however, there's nothing good about this happening.

I figured in time it would be possible but for it to happen so soon to me was a bit shocking.

RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 11:04 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I thought it was neat at first and was prepared to buy the Mission to the Moon version when it was announced. However, after the release and chaos, I went in another direction. Ended up putting that money towards a Seiko "King Samurai" and have zero desire for one of these anymore.

I'm not fully against the concept, I think it's cool and good for the younger enthusiast. However, a bit disappointing with the quality issues, especially with the Omega brand on the dial.

Different strokes for different folks, and I'm no longer interested for my own personal reasons.

[YT]Uk6Nwy5kMy4[YT/]
What the heck????

It really does leak? I thought my friend Cru was joking

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 11 April 2022, 11:08 PM   #17
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Haha no, Cru was serious. I seem to remember him being all for these at one point as well (as was I).

They did a great job marketing these and creating desire, but this takes a little bit away from that honestly. What a shame, because a small percentage are now put off due to the difficulties obtaining them or the fact at least one model seems defective right out of the gate.
Old 11 April 2022, 11:12 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Haha no, Cru was serious. I seem to remember him being all for these at one point as well (as was I).

They did a great job marketing these and creating desire, but this takes a little bit away from that honestly. What a shame, because a small percentage are now put off due to the difficulties obtaining them or the fact at least one model seems defective right out of the gate.
Well at least it will match your denim
Old 11 April 2022, 11:16 PM   #19
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Adam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 11:17 PM   #20
Adam84
Banned

Watch: Cant choose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdownunder View Post
Never had any interest.

my first watch was a Swatch, its what got me into watches as a kid..its now over 30 years old and is still ticking

Il be getting a MoonSwatch when all the hype dies down...just a bit of cheap fun and should be taken as such....but then again i like Swatch so maybe im biased!
Adam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 11:33 PM   #21
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Well at least it will match your denim
Old 12 April 2022, 12:10 AM   #22
Goin2drt
Banned

OP I have also lost interest at the current hype.

Yes I was interested in a couple of the Happy Meal watches if they were easy to come by (i.e. just order online) and at the current price or lower. At the inflated prices and with only able to go to a Swatch store that I am not anywhere close to, I concur with you.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 12:36 AM   #23
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Deleted..by me.

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 01:20 AM   #24
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I am not surprised by any of this. New isn't always better. The Swatch collaboration was aimed at recruiting a more casual audience. Certainly there were going to be those of us who take horology more seriously who are going to want to get one for fun, but leave it to serious collectors to completely overhype a release and make fools of ourselves.

The Omega x Swatch collab was supposed to be a cheap, fun method of getting more people interested in more expensive watches that Omega makes.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 01:32 AM   #25
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I find it sad to watch Omega cheapen its brand. I know all that has been said about bringing new watch enthusiasts into the hobby, but that is what Swatch are for. No need to bring Omega into that market IMHO.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 01:32 AM   #26
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I’m still very interested but less of a gotta get it now type interest. I’ll be in SF in a week for a few days and I’ll hit the store twice. If that doesn’t work, I’ll wait and snag it online. I want it, but i am not putting a ton of time into a $240 watch i can get eventually.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 02:06 AM   #27
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post

I have, seems like going out the back door at the moment. So I will patiently wait longer under the hypebeast market dies down to buy some for the kids.

To OP, this is way more tame then trying to get a hot Patek at the moment.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 02:35 AM   #28
Fuselierpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Definitely will buy one or two, when I don’t have to stand in line or pay a premium for them.
Fuselierpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 03:06 AM   #29
Trog
Banned

I've been looking for a new shitter for some time now..... the MoonSwatch fits the bill.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 03:33 AM   #30
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Need one for my 15 year old…..that’s about it
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote