The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2022, 03:58 AM   #1
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Sometimes doing nothing is the best option.

Just sharing some personal experience here. My current collection consists of 3 Rolex, 1 Patek, 1 AP, 1 Cartier.

The Rolexes are a 2019 YG Daytona, 2019 BLRO, 2020 Hulk.

I also have 3 cars. A 2021 Porsche GT4, 2022 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio, and a 2022 Ford Bronco.

I attained everything above at MSRP, except the Hulk but i did ok on that before it got too crazy.

Now to the point of the story. I have been trying to add another Rolex to my collection for two years now. Those attempts are going absolutely nowhere. I’m just getting some unfulfilled promises and an SA saying “keep hope alive”. I am not too worried about it. I just follow up and ask every couple of months to stay top of mind, but I am definitely not losing any sleep over it.

Same thing with the cars. I sold my 911 S 18 months ago when I bought the GT4. I paid sticker for my GT4. I would love to get a GT3 touring or GT4RS. I have had multiple dealers tell me that they are getting $100,000 over sticker for these cars and that their wait list even for a normal 911 is two years long. I have owned a lot of Porsches and 911s over the years and I like the cars I just don’t believe that they are that special or that limited. So I will probably just keep my GT4 for a very long time.

I feel the same way about the watches as well. I just don’t have the motivation to do what it would take to score another Rolex, or another AP, or Patek.

Given this current market, I feel completely content to take a time out and enjoy what I have. Is anyone else feeling the same way lately?
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:03 AM   #2
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

I have nothing to contribute other than to add I'm also an Alfa giuilia QV owner so good to see a fellow alfisti!

I like watches more than cars, so I personally would take this time when everyone is fearful to focus on Rolex. And yes, that will mean building a spend history. But this is your time to shine
So maybe more watch purchases and less cars during this time of market volatility. But hey, that's just me.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:06 AM   #3
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
I have nothing to contribute other than to add I'm also an Alfa giuilia QV owner so good to see a fellow alfisti!

I like watches more than cars, so I personally would take this time when everyone is fearful to focus on Rolex. And yes, that will mean building a spend history. But this is your time to shine
So maybe more watch purchases and less cars during this time of market volatility. But hey, that's just me.
That’s awesome. I love my QV!

I should have something coming from the Rolex AD soon but it’s been a long wait. Of course I will not turn down any reference that I like!
Old 23 April 2022, 04:14 AM   #4
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Everything has gotten too crazy.
Makes the hunt (large part of this watch hobby) more painful than fun.

Last summer, wanted another 911, and since I previously had a 991.1, originally sought a 992.
But waitlists for 992 GTS's were long with uncertain timing, so I picked up a 991.2 GTS.

Felt a bit silly getting another 991, but there are some notable changes in the 991.2 vs .1.
And I'd still be waiting for a 992 GTS.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:16 AM   #5
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Everything has gotten too crazy.
Makes the hunt (large part of this watch hobby) more painful than fun.

Last summer, wanted another 911, and since I previously had a 991.1, originally sought a 992.
But waitlists for 992 GTS's were long with uncertain timing, so I picked up a 991.2 GTS.

Felt a bit silly getting another 991, but there are some notable changes in the 991.2 vs .1.
And I'd still be waiting for a 992 GTS.
I really enjoyed my 991.2. I wish I kept it and just added the GT4 to the mix.
Old 23 April 2022, 04:31 AM   #6
Escobardee
"TRF" Member

Wow I wish I had these problems
Escobardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:39 AM   #7
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Just sharing some personal experience here. My current collection consists of 3 Rolex, 1 Patek, 1 AP, 1 Cartier.

I also have 3 cars. A 2021 Porsche GT4, 2022 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio, and a 2022 Ford Bronco.

I attained everything above at MSRP, except the Hulk but i did ok on that before it got too crazy.

Now to the point of the story. I have been trying to add another Rolex to my collection for two years now. Those attempts are going absolutely nowhere. I’m just getting some unfulfilled promises and an SA saying “keep hope alive”. I am not too worried about it. I just follow up and ask every couple of months to stay top of mind, but I am definitely not losing any sleep over it.

Same thing with the cars. I sold my 911 S 18 months ago when I bought the GT4. I paid sticker for my GT4. I would love to get a GT3 touring or GT4RS. I have had multiple dealers tell me that they are getting $100,000 over sticker for these cars and that their wait list even for a normal 911 is two years long. I have owned a lot of Porsches and 911s over the years and I like the cars I just don’t believe that they are that special or that limited. So I will probably just keep my GT4 for a very long time.

I feel the same way about the watches as well. I just don’t have the motivation to do what it would take to score another Rolex, or another AP, or Patek.

Given this current market, I feel completely content to take a time out and enjoy what I have. Is anyone else feeling the same way lately?

To be honest weird flex OP
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:42 AM   #8
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Quote:

That is called good sense.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:43 AM   #9
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
I don’t really think so. Posting about one watch could even be considered “a flex”. On this form I’ve seen watch collections and cars smaller than mine and much much larger. So I just consider this to be average. I think it’s pretty odd that your username is “time and cars” But you were somehow triggered by someone discussing time and cars.
Old 23 April 2022, 04:45 AM   #10
harvey
"TRF" Member

…definitely not as good as your last thread! ‘box and papers bro!’

i can’t take you seriously after that
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:46 AM   #11
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Fellow Alfistas - a 4C sits in my garage... next to my '72 911!
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:47 AM   #12
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Fellow Alfistas - a 4C sits in my garage... next to my '72 911!
Oh wow. I wish I still had the ability to climb in and out of a 4C. Lol.
Old 23 April 2022, 04:49 AM   #13
cblock406
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you've been buying cars, not really "doing nothing" and holding.
cblock406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:52 AM   #14
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblock406 View Post
It sounds like you've been buying cars, not really "doing nothing" and holding.
I was waiting for a new QV for a while and it was offered below MSRP. The Bronco is just something I needed for work. I do really want a GT3, GT4RS, or even a 992 GTS but dealers are really taxing customers right now, so that is the “sitting out”.
Old 23 April 2022, 04:52 AM   #15
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh wow. I wish I still had the ability to climb in and out of a 4C. Lol.
Thought you were under 40...?
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:53 AM   #16
nobodyimportant
"TRF" Member

Preowned market for anything 992 except turbo isnt too too bad from what I saw, unless I am mistaken I can see anywhere from 10-20%. I'm sure the ship that sank didn't help with porsche delivery
nobodyimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 04:54 AM   #17
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
No. I’m 47. I can get in and out of the 4C but it’s definitely not as easy as it once was. The GT4 is pretty much my limit for that kind of stuff.
Old 23 April 2022, 05:00 AM   #18
Bob62
"TRF" Member

I've all but given up, but I keep my eyes open. My good friend is in Amsterdam right now and he knows I've been looking for a blue datejust. He did come across an available gold/diamond day date but at 50 grand is wasn't doing it for him or me. Vette guy here- 2001Z06, 2010ZR1, 2019ZR1 and a deposit on the 2023Z06 at msrp.
Bob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 05:06 AM   #19
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
Here’s a guy on YouTube trying to get in and out of the 4C. He’s kind of tall and probably using bad technique. Anyway, I can get in abs out easier than this guy can but I’m just not committed enough anymore. A few years ago I would drive a lotus exige and that was similar.

https://youtu.be/rvPTVJg31xQ
Old 23 April 2022, 05:13 AM   #20
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Based on the stock market, inflation and rising rates, a whole lot of people are suddenly about to get the “call”. So doing nothing is probably the best thing.
Old 23 April 2022, 05:21 AM   #21
a.f
"TRF" Member

Certainly feel similar about things. Others may or may not agree, but I'd rather just wait it out, enjoy what I have, or seek alternative options than pay $0.1 over MSRP on cars/watches. I've sort of been acting with one foot in and one foot out; put deposits on vehicles with no expectations and some have come through while others haven't. Was able to secure gt500 CFTP at MSRP and a 992 touring allocation at MSRP (albeit no build date for the touring)... on the other end of the spectrum, haven't heard a word on my G63 deposit from 2 years ago or my bronco order.

Rolex attempts have likewise gotten nowhere even with decent purchase history. Keeping my wishlist slim and if they show up, great!
a.f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 05:43 AM   #22
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
How many pairs of pants ?
Malum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 05:44 AM   #23
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I completely get you man, i feel the same
Old 23 April 2022, 05:45 AM   #24
Rock Strongo
Banned

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
New money 😂
Rock Strongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 05:52 AM   #25
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
How many pairs of pants ?
Zero. I go commando.
Old 23 April 2022, 05:56 AM   #26
HJZS2K
"TRF" Member

Kind of beat myself up here and there for passing on a GT4 with the promise of a GT4RS allocation the next year. I always wanted to own a P car but back then (2020) i thought it was ridiculous to have to buy a car to own the one you really want, but here we all are with watches too.
HJZS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 05:59 AM   #27
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Same here on both fronts. Basically there is a lot of money and demand on both fronts. I sold one of my fun cars last summer for a ridiculous profit but everything I have now is locked in and can’t be replaced so there is something to be said about enjoying what you have and forget about “the next one”. In the end it’s also the best move for your wallet.
Old 23 April 2022, 06:05 AM   #28
cbalster
"TRF" Member

My 997.2 gts 6mt is the sweet spot of the 911 lineup for me. I’m still trying to find a watch that ticks all the boxes for me the way my p911 iteration does.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 06:11 AM   #29
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Very zen of you. Good job!

I have not reached that level of enlightenment. Still jonesing for more AP here.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 06:13 AM   #30
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Strongo View Post
New money 😂
Yes. I’ve done quite well on OnlyFans.