The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 April 2022, 06:22 AM   #31
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

As with cars, sometimes I rent, from Turo, some low power cars like a miata, just to appreciate the high power ones that I own hehe. I think for watches, when the moonswatch becomes available, i think i'll probably get that to have the same affect.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 06:29 AM   #32
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Yes. I’ve done quite well on OnlyFans.

I have never understood the “triple incoming, what should I get next?” crowd. But yes, this is a good time to appreciate what you have and step away from the cash register. I’m driving a 991 Cab I got in 2013 and wearing a Daytona I got in 2016 and feel pretty darn lucky. I can’t imagine chasing a replacement for either at MSRP+.
Old 23 April 2022, 06:46 AM   #33
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just sharing some personal experience here. My current collection consists of 3 Rolex, 1 Patek, 1 AP, 1 Cartier.

The Rolexes are a 2019 YG Daytona, 2019 BLRO, 2020 Hulk.

I also have 3 cars. A 2021 Porsche GT4, 2022 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio, and a 2022 Ford Bronco.

I attained everything above at MSRP, except the Hulk but i did ok on that before it got too crazy.

Now to the point of the story. I have been trying to add another Rolex to my collection for two years now. Those attempts are going absolutely nowhere. I’m just getting some unfulfilled promises and an SA saying “keep hope alive”. I am not too worried about it. I just follow up and ask every couple of months to stay top of mind, but I am definitely not losing any sleep over it.

Same thing with the cars. I sold my 911 S 18 months ago when I bought the GT4. I paid sticker for my GT4. I would love to get a GT3 touring or GT4RS. I have had multiple dealers tell me that they are getting $100,000 over sticker for these cars and that their wait list even for a normal 911 is two years long. I have owned a lot of Porsches and 911s over the years and I like the cars I just don’t believe that they are that special or that limited. So I will probably just keep my GT4 for a very long time.

I feel the same way about the watches as well. I just don’t have the motivation to do what it would take to score another Rolex, or another AP, or Patek.

Given this current market, I feel completely content to take a time out and enjoy what I have. Is anyone else feeling the same way lately?
...and with a straight face too?

Respect.

Big respect
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 06:50 AM   #34
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No. I’m 47. I can get in and out of the 4C but it’s definitely not as easy as it once was. The GT4 is pretty much my limit for that kind of stuff.
I only said that because of your "trigger" comment.
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 06:58 AM   #35
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
I only said that because of your "trigger" comment.
Oh yeah. Triggered is definitely part of the young, woke vocabulary. I have to interact with people of all ages so I try to keep up.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 07:05 AM   #36
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Post some pics!
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 07:16 AM   #37
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Can't see a problem, shows restraint and a large measure of common sense.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 07:16 AM   #38
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
I have a 911 and a few Rolexes and an AP and golfers the same. I wanted a new 911 but content with my 991 model with only 26K miles and not interested in paying the crazy prices that grey dealers are asking so, instead I am spending dollars on travel post Covid rather than material items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 07:21 AM   #39
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
I have a 911 cabriolet and a few Rolexes and an AP and very much feel the same. I wanted a new 911 but content with my 991 model with the shortages and additional dealer markups on these cars. Mine is a 2012 but has only 26K miles. Same with watches, also not interested in paying the crazy prices that grey dealers are asking so, instead I am spending dollars on travel post Covid rather than material items.

Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 07:21 AM   #40
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Stopped looking after I put my name down for a Pepsi. If I get the call or not I'm also content with what I have. It's a good feeling.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 07:27 AM   #41
nocaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: platona 2x bark dd
just like the op, i won't pay a penny over msrp for a new watch. when my platona arrived, i asked the ad for a discount. didn't get it though :) i'm on the list for several more, but i've got infinite patience...
nocaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 08:10 AM   #42
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I am the same way but perhaps it’s easy for us to say that when we already have things to enjoy. If I were just starting out now in this market with watches and cars like a lot of people seem to be I’m not sure what I would do.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 08:34 AM   #43
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
I am the same way but perhaps it’s easy for us to say that when we already have things to enjoy. If I were just starting out now in this market with watches and cars like a lot of people seem to be I’m not sure what I would do.
I agree with that but if I were just getting into cars or watches I would shop around and buy the best thing I could obtain at list price. Maybe that would mean I would have to wear an IWC or Piaget instead of a Rolex or AP. Maybe I would have to drive an Alfa Romeo instead of a GT Porsche. In my opinion, you can always come back to Porsche and Rolex later on.
Old 23 April 2022, 08:35 AM   #44
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Ok… please explain this username. Lol.
Old 23 April 2022, 08:44 AM   #45
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with that but if I were just getting into cars or watches I would shop around and buy the best thing I could obtain at list price. Maybe that would mean I would have to wear an IWC or Piaget instead of a Rolex or AP. Maybe I would have to drive an Alfa Romeo instead of a GT Porsche. In my opinion, you can always come back to Porsche and Rolex later on.

Quote:
Ok… please explain this username. Lol.
I was playing some online game with my college friends back in the day and I wanted Butters from South Park as my username but it was already taken. So while I was trying to think of another name this girl just happened to ask if I was a butt or boobs kind of man. I said butt and another girl just shouted ButtButt! and it kinda just stuck lol… stupid I know.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 08:46 AM   #46
Nice marmot
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. You got to list a bunch of expensive shit you own anonymously on the internet. Feel better about yourself yet or do you need to list anything else?
Nice marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 08:47 AM   #47
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
To be honest weird flex OP

Lol

TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 08:53 AM   #48
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
…definitely not as good as your last thread! ‘box and papers bro!’

i can’t take you seriously after that
“Yeah, it’s a discontinued Rolex.”

“I know bro, that’s the Hulk!”
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 08:54 AM   #49
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escobardee View Post
Wow I wish I had these problems
I have 5 rolexes, a patek 8 cars 4 Lambos and 4 Ferraris a boat an a private jet. I was thinking of buying 6 more rolexes and 8 pateks and a yacht but you know what sometimes it’s best just enjoying what you have and not trying to add.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 08:59 AM   #50
nocaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: platona 2x bark dd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice marmot View Post
Congratulations. You got to list a bunch of expensive shit you own anonymously on the internet. Feel better about yourself yet or do you need to list anything else?
one thing he doesn't have is anger issues...
nocaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 09:00 AM   #51
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just sharing some personal experience here. My current collection consists of 3 Rolex, 1 Patek, 1 AP, 1 Cartier.

I also have 3 cars. A 2021 Porsche GT4, 2022 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio, and a 2022 Ford Bronco.

I attained everything above at MSRP, except the Hulk but i did ok on that before it got too crazy.

Now to the point of the story. I have been trying to add another Rolex to my collection for two years now. Those attempts are going absolutely nowhere. I’m just getting some unfulfilled promises and an SA saying “keep hope alive”. I am not too worried about it. I just follow up and ask every couple of months to stay top of mind, but I am definitely not losing any sleep over it.

Same thing with the cars. I sold my 911 S 18 months ago when I bought the GT4. I paid sticker for my GT4. I would love to get a GT3 touring or GT4RS. I have had multiple dealers tell me that they are getting $100,000 over sticker for these cars and that their wait list even for a normal 911 is two years long. I have owned a lot of Porsches and 911s over the years and I like the cars I just don’t believe that they are that special or that limited. So I will probably just keep my GT4 for a very long time.

I feel the same way about the watches as well. I just don’t have the motivation to do what it would take to score another Rolex, or another AP, or Patek.

Given this current market, I feel completely content to take a time out and enjoy what I have. Is anyone else feeling the same way lately?
Yeah bro same problem here: I have 3 Ferrari Enzo and 10 Patek 5711 all bought at msrp.
Somehow I can’t get the new tissot crono. Dealer make promise but so far nothing.

Better wait, maybe I can buy a lambo just to cheat the time.

Top world problem but that’s the life.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 09:02 AM   #52
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Oh wow. Lol. I’m not even in the top 50% of watch collections or car collections on this website. I’m not trying to brag I’m discussing my experience with my hobbies. If someone posted something about their Subaru WRX I would be like “cool”, and if they posted something about their Bugatti Chiron, I would also be like “cool”.
Old 23 April 2022, 05:28 PM   #53
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I don’t have a fraction of that. Some of us are more than content, delighted, grateful even that we are able to have one Rolex and maybe able to have a second car for the weekend too. I’m content and fulfilled.

Some guys will never be happy. More more more. Money can’t buy happiness (or contentment), this comes from within.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 08:02 PM   #54
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

<snip>
"I've climbed Nanga Parbat, K2 and Everest. I didn't feel like climbing... so I took a break!"

Anyway... I'll get back to lusting after my next piece (If you're bored and feel like being my wingman/whale when visting the AD, let me know)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 11:49 PM   #55
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
First world problem.
Really you don’t have a problem so enjoy what you have.
Your a lucky person.
tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2022, 12:11 AM   #56
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Nice collection of watches & cars, I used to own a 2018 Ti Sport Giulia. Would love a Quad version but that’s decent coin for one. At least you can enjoy what you currently have & wait out the phone call if new pieces arrive. I’m content on what I have as well these days but if I receive a call from my AD on something then yes I will add another.
Old 24 April 2022, 12:38 AM   #57
Tach24LMS
"TRF" Member

I’ve got the best of both worlds car wise.
R8 V10 6MT and 991.1 GT3RS (PTS).

Only one DJ2 in my collection so far Rolex wise.
Want to add a GMT and Daytona. Possibly a Sub or DS.
Likely gray as most of the pieces I like are discontinued.
Some available, but my nearest AD is 3+ hrs away.
Tach24LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2022, 12:40 AM   #58
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
That’s awesome. I love my QV!

I should have something coming from the Rolex AD soon but it’s been a long wait. Of course I will not turn down any reference that I like!
Nice collection,,,
How’s the QUad?,
Quite like one of those in the future,,,
Have you see the Ryan Reynolds Netflix film ( 5 underground?)
Great long car chase at the start with a Viper Green Quad iirc
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2022, 12:49 AM   #59
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
How many pairs of pants ?
………
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2022, 01:02 AM   #60
RolexRon456
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you already have a great watch collection. How about something fun and casual at MSRP like the new IWC top gun Tahoe which would be great for summer or a colorful Hublot on rubber.
RolexRon456 is offline   Reply With Quote