The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 May 2022, 02:05 AM   #1
VGCMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Date
Buyer’s Remorse

Hello all. Need major advice regarding buying a watch I didn’t buy on my terms. It’s an Omega Sedna Gold Speedmaster. September 2020 place a deposit for the famous “Snoopy Speedmaster”. Sales person tells me this is political and “will take a while” and to be patient. About 15 months later pushes me to buy the Sedna Gold Speedmaster. Had no interest. Every once in a while would get a text and pictures that a Sedna had arrived and for me to buy it. Finally I started reading between the lines that if I wanted the Snoopy I had to get the Sedna. Finally I told him I would consider it for my 60th birthday on June 2. About 1 month I had inquired about a rare museum Omega piece. It arrives from Switzerland and then pressures me to visit the boutique and check out the Museum piece. I reluctantly go. Displayed in front of me are both watches, the Sedna and the museum piece but w/o box and papers, “lost”. I then inquire about arrival of Snoopy. He pulls it out and tells me which one of these 2 watches will accompany the Snoopy? Like an idiot I purchase the Sedna, 1 month prior to my birthday. Regretted the moment I walked out. Any advice? Can’t even take out the Sedna from the box. I even want to sell it. Did not buy it on my terms, it was forced onto me. Can’t return it. That watch evokes anger. I was taken as a fool, totally disrespected and hate myself for being so stupid. I should have walked out but doubt he would have sold me the Snoopy.
VGCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 10:35 AM   #2
ree7
"TRF" Member

Sell it?
It's a fine watch but if you don't like it might as well let it go.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 10:39 AM   #3
AbeFroman
Banned

It doesn’t specially state in your post that you bought the snoopy, but I’m assuming by your last sentence you did.

If you aren’t enjoying the Sedna, I would sell it to DavidSW or the like and move on with your life. Free up that liquidity and utilize it elsewhere that it’ll better serve you. Take it as a lesson learned.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 11:00 AM   #4
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

I’m trying to put myself in your situation and think about what I would do. It’s a shitty situation. I would see if I can return it, I’m sure the answer is no, but I would try anyways to see what the Omega Boutique says.

In the high likelihood that they can’t accept the return, then I’d sell it. It’s $35k, even if you take a bath on it it’s not worth keeping a watch you don’t want. Then being the person I am, I would wait to get the Snoopy and sell that too because I wouldn’t want another Omega after feeling suckered like this. Plus you’ll be net positive all around.

Personally, I’ve abandoned Omega. I put a deposit on a Snoopy in April 2020, and then paid in full+taxes when it released Oct 2020. I regularly kept in touch with my SA who tried to sell me stuff, which I considered but nothing I really liked. After hearing from my SA it could be a 3 year wait (this was around 22 months in), I decided to take my deposit back and never buy another Omega again.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 11:04 AM   #5
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Sell it as quickly as you can and move on. Life is too short to agonize over this. If it really bothers you that much, just take the loss and enjoy your snoopy (if you still can).

Hope it works out!
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 12:00 PM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Snoopy fever.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 01:04 PM   #7
ree7
"TRF" Member

Reading it again sounds like you got the Snoopy. Tbh I think it's not that bad of a deal. Where I live, I've given up hope to get Snoopy at retail. Near impossible.
You could sell the Sedna at loss and still have Snoopy lower than grey prices. And still has good purchase history with the AD for any future pieces. Returning it won't be nice for future hot items I think.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 04:46 PM   #8
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Just sell the Sedna. You will be ahead of the deal given you have the snoopy. Or, sell the snoopy and keep the Sedna which you will feel much better about having paid quite little for in the end.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 05:34 PM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I mean at least he was willing to bundle the snoopy on the same day. A lot of brands nowadays play the same game as above, with no guarantee that the watch desired will actually arrive. So in a way you achieve your goal. Just sell the Sedna gold Speedmaster and get the money back. I know how you feel in terms of being forced to buy a watch you don’t want. Personally if it was me back then in the boutique, I might have succumb to the threat/offer as well, but it does leave a sour taste in the mouth.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 05:54 PM   #10
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

What's the rare museum piece watch?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 06:16 PM   #11
ertihan
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately this is a practice that a lot of ADs are doing now, kind of copying Rolex - i.e. moving slower selling pieces in order to get a hot one out the door. I believe it's called "bundling" and it's a pretty scummy practice.

Having said that, the way I would look at it is this: I seriously doubt you would have gotten the Snoopy at retail price without having to purchase the Sedna. In fact, I don't know if you could have gotten Snoopy at all, period, if that other watch wasn't tagging along.

To put this in perspective, getting a used Snoopy could cost upwards of 20k or more. I believe even if you sell the Sedna at a loss, you'd still end up paying less for the Snoopy than if you'd gone gray market.

I know it feels bad to basically be forced into a purchase you didn't want in order to get the watch you did want. It isn't particularly common that an AD will try to force a specific watch on you so brazenly, but I suppose that depends on the sales associate involved. What I would say is, in the end, if you can offload the Sedna at a price that is at least reasonably close to market value, you shouldn't have lost too much money.

In the future, I would say that you may wish to check out more than one boutique - it's possible you could have better luck elsewhere.
ertihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 08:43 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
OP, I think you are being too hard on yourself. You got two great watches and that is the way thinks play out now. We don't like it but we also do not make the rules. As mentioned just move the Sedna to one of our Trusted Sellers and use the cash to go get your Museum piece. Put on that Snoopy and a smile on your face and enjoy and be happy. Life is too short.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 09:11 PM   #13
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Buying an unwanted piece to secure an extremely difficult piece to get like the Snoopy happens every single day. I have yet to hear of an AD sales person going to someone’s house armed and forcing someone to do it. Perhaps if that’s what they did to you then you have some legal avenues afforded to you to rectify the situation. If not I’m thinking that you did what most of the other people did and you verbally said yes. So do everyone else does, sell the unwanted watch and enjoy the extremely difficult piece you acquired still way below market price even after adding in your loss on the unwanted piece. Good grief people.

Actually I’m a little surprised and disappointed that more senior people on this forum haven’t chimed in to inform this man that this practice happens all the time and has for many many years in this hobby. If you don’t want to buy and unwanted piece to acquire an extremely hot and difficult piece to get at retail than pay market value. Everyone that’s been doing this for more than a month knows this.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 09:27 PM   #14
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Just sell what you don't want. You bought both the watches at a retail price, so you considered yourself in an advanced position!
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 11:13 PM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

The Sedna is an incredible watch, better than snoopy
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 11:20 PM   #16
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
WIS Rule #2: The most expensive watch you buy will the watch you bought instead of the watch you wanted

Sell it and move on - good luck, OP
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 02:59 AM   #17
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
+1000 on this. Keep the Sedna, move the Snoopy
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 03:44 AM   #18
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

I thought Omega AD's were game and gimmick free :)
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 03:58 AM   #19
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
I thought Omega AD's were game and gimmick free :)
The people at the Omega boutique that I’m familiar with are extremely pushy.

OP, I would sell the Snoopy and keep the gold speedy. Such a nice looking watch.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 04:04 AM   #20
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
I agree. No offense intended to fans or owners of the Snoopy edition.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 04:59 AM   #21
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Two options:

1) Keep Snoopy and sell the Sedna (presumably the Sedna is unworn, so you shouldn't take much of a hit on it).

2) Keep the Sedna and sell the Snoopy (in which case, you get the Sedna essentially for free).

I happen to think the Snoopy is overhyped, so I'd sell that one and keep the Sedna.
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 05:12 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d never feel pressured into buying a watch, but that’s just me I guess
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 05:30 AM   #23
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’d never feel pressured into buying a watch, but that’s just me I guess
x2

Personally, I am not a big fan of the Snoopy. I get why people like it, I just prefer something more "pure" in design. I think these new Speedmaster Professionals are absolutely outstanding (whether they are stainless, Sedna, Moonshine, whatever...) In fact, the reason I went with the sapphire stainless steel model is because the design subtleties are what carry over into the precious metal variations (sapphire crystal, open caseback, polished intermediate links, applied logo).
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 05:31 AM   #24
lovehasaghetto
"TRF" Member

I hope this wasn't at South Coast Plaza, what a horrible story.
lovehasaghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 05:43 AM   #25
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I couldn’t agree more. I’m just not seeing the fascination with the snoopy.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 06:04 AM   #26
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
I have a little issue with you claiming you were forced to make the deal. The sales person is no doubt a clown. Instead of hinting over and over and then condescendingly saying "which will accompany the snoopy?" he should have just been upfront and direct "I can get you a snoopy if you buy the sedna are you interested?".

However he didn't force you to do anything. You decided to buy those watches. Now your current situation is the biggest first world problem I've ever seen. Sell one, sell both, sell neither and move on with your life. Sorry for sounding harsh but come on enough with the woe is me you made a decision to buy those watches just accept that and do what you have to do.
Old 10 May 2022, 06:42 AM   #27
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Not to mention the ridiculousness of grown men clambering to get a watch with a cartoon dog on it. Super fun watch. But that’s all it should be. Fun. Out there for the whimsical types.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 06:43 AM   #28
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Don't Omega Boutiques have 30 day return policy provided the watch shows no wear? If so, return the Sedna and keep the Snoopy.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 07:13 AM   #29
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
OP, I'd echo the majority sentiment -- sell the Sedna. However, it's possible your negative feelings about this experience will stick around even if you decide to sell the Sedna. If you think that might happen to you, consider selling both the Sedna and the Snoopy.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2022, 09:14 AM   #30
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
I couldn’t agree more. I’m just not seeing the fascination with the snoopy.
I was going to say, I prefer the Sedna over any other Speedy.

But, just sell the Sedna if you dont like it.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote