The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 May 2022, 12:25 AM   #1
rlj676
"TRF" Member

New Grill Time! Recommendations Please

So after 16+ years of good service my Weber Summit Gold has begun performing poor enough to go new. 1 perfectly cooked chicken thigh next to a near raw one put me over the edge.

I have an upper and lower deck, and ordered a Kamado Joe Classic III (w free joetiserie) for smoking and serious cooking (also replacing a crummy master built electric smoker).

So now I need something for upstairs deck with natural gas line. Main use is quick chicken cooking on a weeknight. I went top of line on the Kamado so looking for something a little more budget friendly, but not a 3 year disposable.
- new Weber Genesis seems made overseas and is different company (private equity) vs years ago and ugly (to me)
- Napoleon rogue is what I’m eyeing, anyone have one?
- only feature that seems cool is infrared side burner for searing
- broilking is NA made and looks nice, but unsure of longevity

Anyone have any other ideas or feedback on recent models above? Trying to stay as much under $1k as possible that will last?
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 12:40 AM   #2
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Have you tried ordering a new burner and parts for your Weber? I have one of similar age, and I have replaced the burner and bars. It's like a new grill.

One of my clients is the founder of Primo grills, he says that Webers are not made like they used to be, and he would recommend I keep mine and not replace it with a new one.

Napoleon was also a client. Their stuff is pretty nice. Some of it is made overseas as well if I recall, but quality.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 01:12 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d just replace the Weber with another Weber
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 01:20 AM   #4
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Have you tried ordering a new burner and parts for your Weber? I have one of similar age, and I have replaced the burner and bars. It's like a new grill.

One of my clients is the founder of Primo grills, he says that Webers are not made like they used to be, and he would recommend I keep mine and not replace it with a new one.

Napoleon was also a client. Their stuff is pretty nice. Some of it is made overseas as well if I recall, but quality.
Thanks, Yes, I have considered that as it is a good idea. Did a light restoration last year and cleaned all burner holes etc. Could just get new flavorizers and have some improvement. However the cart has given up the ghost haha. Bottom is rusted through, I’ve painted a few times and rust quickly is back and staining concrete deck etc. I can’t figure out how to get replacement cart.

I also found some of Napoleon is now done in China, one of 3 plants. Hard to determine what models but I assume they’re freestyle for sure.
Old 14 May 2022, 01:20 AM   #5
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
this
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 01:24 AM   #6
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately they’re not the same anymore as stated above.

The summit is likely to at least be US made still (not clear to me based on what local shops have said). However it is $2800 and full of gadgets I don’t need that I fear won’t last. Pop up rotisserie (handled by joetiserie), smoke box wasting grill space, etc. I know there are even more expensive grills of course but not looking at that level after also buying the Kamado I plan to use for fun cooking.
Old 14 May 2022, 01:29 AM   #7
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
In keeping with the current trend of simplifying and scaling back . . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hibachi.jpg (73.2 KB, 291 views)
Old 14 May 2022, 01:52 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Nothing wrong with that

IMO spending huge on BBQ’s isn’t worth it. Buy a grill that gets supper hot and maintains heat and that’s about all you need to grill great meals.

Flame away if you must
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 02:06 AM   #9
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Ah. The deluxe model with the teak handles. So jealous.

I have a lousy old Cuisinart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xxx.jpg (56.2 KB, 289 views)
Old 14 May 2022, 02:28 AM   #10
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Weber forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 02:56 AM   #11
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that

IMO spending huge on BBQ’s isn’t worth it. Buy a grill that gets supper hot and maintains heat and that’s about all you need to grill great meals.

Flame away if you must
That’s where I’m at. But I want it to last and be big enough to entertain a few folks… and that’s where you end up around $1k lol.
Old 14 May 2022, 03:28 AM   #12
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I am in a similar situation with an aging grill. I am a huge proponent of repairing as needed if it's a good grill. I have a really nice Brinkmann that I got in 2004. It is charcoal and has dual zones, so you can practically feed an army with it if you have both sides going. It has grates for the charcoal that you can raise or lower for doing searing or other things. It has been a champ but they don't make parts for it anymore, so I have been repairing and fashioning makeshift parts out of other materials as various components eventually rust through. The biggest problem is the actual grilling grates, as they are cast iron and are a very specific and odd size. Nobody sells grates of this size, so once the grates eventually go out I'll probably have to get a new grill unless I can eventually find some.

I recently got a wood fire pizza oven and there are some cool contraptions you can get for these where you can do grilling inside the wood fire ovens.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 03:42 AM   #13
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Ah. The deluxe model with the teak handles. So jealous.

I have a lousy old Cuisinart.
Not as aesthetically pleasing, for sure, but having that lid can be a real plus.
Old 14 May 2022, 04:53 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Another vote for another Weber.

It's always sad when you know a great grill finally dies. My old Vermont Castings was like that.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 05:06 AM   #15
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Another vote for another Weber.

It's always sad when you know a great grill finally dies. My old Vermont Castings was like that.
Has anyone priced Weber lately? Really proud… Napoleon seems to be same or better for a little less. Warranty is better.

I am struggling w the looks of the genesis as well but they still seem well built with innovative ideas. Just feels like for the money I get more w a Napoleon.

If anyone can figure how to get a new cart I’d be up for restoring mine again lol.
Old 14 May 2022, 06:23 AM   #16
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
my Weber Genesis lasted 17 seasons before the caster /leg area gave way to rust, etc. Bought a new Genesis II last year. To say it's not as good as the old one is pure BS, it is indeed better and that's coming from zero complaints with my old unit. I use it on avg 3-4 times a week and 1-2 times a week in winter.

Is there a better grill out there........not for the $$ spent !!

and yes, the Napoleon's look mighty nice as well !
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 09:03 AM   #17
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
my Weber Genesis lasted 17 seasons before the caster /leg area gave way to rust, etc. Bought a new Genesis II last year. To say it's not as good as the old one is pure BS, it is indeed better and that's coming from zero complaints with my old unit. I use it on avg 3-4 times a week and 1-2 times a week in winter.

Is there a better grill out there........not for the $$ spent !!

and yes, the Napoleon's look mighty nice as well !
Feature wise there is definitely innovation, build qualityseems good. How long will it last? Can’t say for 17 years more if that’s as good. In general though it seems the reputation for this is down. Competitors have better warranties.

I’m turned off by the offshoring though while priced at a premium still (relative to competitors, not luxury grills)

Also take a look at the new genesis this year (no more II), funky looks.
Old 14 May 2022, 09:27 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Has anyone priced Weber lately? Really proud… Napoleon seems to be same or better for a little less. Warranty is better.... If anyone can figure how to get a new cart I’d be up for restoring mine again lol.
Very much understand, not about price but about wishing to keep the old unit going. If this was your main outdoor cooking surface I'd recommend the Lynx Pro all-Trident.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 14 May 2022, 09:49 AM   #19
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Feature wise there is definitely innovation, build qualityseems good. How long will it last? Can’t say for 17 years more if that’s as good. In general though it seems the reputation for this is down. Competitors have better warranties.

I’m turned off by the offshoring though while priced at a premium still (relative to competitors, not luxury grills)

Also take a look at the new genesis this year (no more II), funky looks.
at my age if I get another 17 years out of GenII at that point I'll probably be lucky if I remember how to turn it on !

As for the Napoleon, there are no dealers in my area, seems like they are bigger out west
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 10:50 AM   #20
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Very much understand, not about price but about wishing to keep the old unit going. If this was your main outdoor cooking surface I'd recommend the Lynx Pro all-Trident.
Those are very nice but out of the budget I’m wanting right now given I just got the Kamado joe classic iii, a hot tub and will be needing a tv etc out there :)

I am curious about the infrared like lynx or Tec, maybe in 15 years.

I think I’m going w the Napoleon Prestige 500. Made in Canada, lifetime warranty, good buikd quality.

Old 14 May 2022, 10:51 AM   #21
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
at my age if I get another 17 years out of GenII at that point I'll probably be lucky if I remember how to turn it on !

As for the Napoleon, there are no dealers in my area, seems like they are bigger out west
Haha well here’s to replacing it w a genesis X in 20 years.
Old 14 May 2022, 10:58 AM   #22
Spanky4888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those are very nice but out of the budget I’m wanting right now given I just got the Kamado joe classic iii, a hot tub and will be needing a tv etc out there :)

I am curious about the infrared like lynx or Tec, maybe in 15 years.

I think I’m going w the Napoleon Prestige 500. Made in Canada, lifetime warranty, good buikd quality.

I have this exact grill and it’s been amazing. Build quality, fit, and finish are excellent. Very sturdy. Can’t say enough good things about it…I’ve used all its features and it’s been great. FWIW I’m a mechanical engineer and am usually very critical and picky about these things.
Spanky4888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 10:59 AM   #23
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Southbend HDC-36 36" Heavy Duty Gas Charbroiler w/ Cast Iron Radiants

With a fabricated stainless shell and pivoting cover.
Attached Images
File Type: png n128575.jpg.png (97.8 KB, 233 views)
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 11:19 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky4888 View Post
I have this exact grill and it’s been amazing. Build quality, fit, and finish are excellent. Very sturdy. Can’t say enough good things about it…I’ve used all its features and it’s been great. FWIW I’m a mechanical engineer and am usually very critical and picky about these things.

Old 14 May 2022, 01:01 PM   #25
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
We have a MHP grill. Made in America. Hot flame cooks like a flame thrower. It is a gas grill hooked up to a gas line. We are on our second one since 2001. Highly recommended. We try to get superior things, this is one of them.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2022, 09:22 PM   #26
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky4888 View Post
Great feedback, thanks! I’m an ME (well by degree) and am drawn to design and build quality as well. I’m actually wanting the one with no features, just 4 burners lol.
Old 14 May 2022, 09:23 PM   #27
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
We have a MHP grill. Made in America. Hot flame cooks like a flame thrower. It is a gas grill hooked up to a gas line. We are on our second one since 2001. Highly recommended. We try to get superior things, this is one of them.
I like these and the broilmasters. Simple, classic and should last forever. However they are not so appealing to the wife and they are fairly small while being more money than what I’m looking at.
Old 14 May 2022, 09:26 PM   #28
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Southbend HDC-36 36" Heavy Duty Gas Charbroiler w/ Cast Iron Radiants

With a fabricated stainless shell and pivoting cover.
You use a commercial grade indoor grill outside w a cover? Pics? I love commercial grade stuff and wouldn’t think of this lol. Price is too high for me right now in any case …
Old 14 May 2022, 09:42 PM   #29
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Just go back with the Weber - napoleon is a little step above.

I have a green egg and Weber now!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2022, 12:01 AM   #30
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Just go back with the Weber - napoleon is a little step above.

I have a green egg and Weber now!
Which do you use more out of curiosity?

Weber pricing is very high now, a genesis is over $1k and a summit $2800. The competing Napoleons are actually less I think.