The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 May 2022, 03:23 PM   #1
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Bluesy owners - please share your ownership experiences

Visiting my AD yesterday, where the policy now is that you can only have 3 Rolex pieces on your wish list, I was narrowing down my original list.

You are only allowed one super hot piece, one hot piece and one not high demand piece.

Given these restrictions I thought “why bother having pieces which realistically I am not going to be anywhere near the top of the list to get?”. Whilst I do have a spend history with the AD and have bought a number of Rolexes (only 1 was allocated, the others were walk in and bought), I know I am a little goldfish in the ocean.

Therefore I decided that the Starbucks/Cermit was not worth a spot in my 3, because I will never be allocated one. Whilst there I spotted a bluesy and just fell in love with it, it was so striking. I was also aware that precious metal models are also often easier to attain than SS right now, so a more realistic choice for me.

The thing is whilst I have always been aware of the bluesy and appreciated it, up until now it wasn’t a piece I had focussed on. So I would love to hear the ownership experiences from those that have this piece.

Do you “daily” it? Is it so striking that it is too flashy to wear all the time?

In case you are wondering the other pieces I narrowed it down to is the Polar Explorer and a DJ41 rhodium with batons

Photo for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 03:30 PM   #2
1sttimerolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy88 View Post
Visiting my AD yesterday, where the policy now is that you can only have 3 Rolex pieces on your wish list, I was narrowing down my original list.

You are only allowed one super hot piece, one hot piece and one not high demand piece.

Given these restrictions I thought “why bother having pieces which realistically I am not going to be anywhere near the top of the list to get?”. Whilst I do have a spend history with the AD and have bought a number of Rolexes (only 1 was allocated, the others were walk in and bought), I know I am a little goldfish in the ocean.

Therefore I decided that the Starbucks/Cermit was not worth a spot in my 3, because I will never be allocated one. Whilst there I spotted a bluesy and just fell in love with it, it was so striking. I was also aware that precious metal models are also often easier to attain than SS right now, so a more realistic choice for me.

The thing is whilst I have always been aware of the bluesy and appreciated it, up until now it wasn’t a piece I had focussed on. So I would love to hear the ownership experiences from those that have this piece.

Do you “daily” it? Is it so striking that it is too flashy to wear all the time?

In case you are wondering the other pieces I narrowed it down to is the Polar Explorer and a DJ41 rhodium with batons

Photo for reference

I think it just depends on you, your personal comfort level and preference. I want a sub (currently I have a sub date) and was actually offered a bluesy yesterday when I stopped by an ad to get my wife's dj sized.

I tried it on just to see, but I passed cuz (1) I already have a sub and (2) it did seem a bit too flashy for me. If I were to get a TT, I think i will lean towards rootbeer as it seems a bit more low key.
1sttimerolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 03:33 PM   #3
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
I don’t own a bluesy, but a good friend I worked with for years wore his daily and preferred it to his black submariner. That said, his personality was a little loud and flashy too (not a negative, but just enthusiastic and liked to be in the center of attention) so it was a great fit for him. It’s a piece that gets noticed for sure, so if that’s a draw for you it’s a perfect piece! If you prefer something more low-profile, it might be a little flashy for daily wear. Just my $.2 but it’s a stunner in person and it’s the only Rolex that’s made me seriously consider adding a TT piece.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 07:23 PM   #4
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
I had one years ago bought new. wore 24/7 love staring at the dial about 6 months in sold it to flashy drew to much attention but never got tired of that blue dial
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 07:33 PM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's not shy with that colour colour scheme but it is not flashy or gaudy. Photos tend to make it look more gaudy than it actually is. Rolex are good at doing this.

It is muted compared to my Z Blue, which flashes, twinkles and shimmers in anything other than low light. I don't daily any watch because I rotate them all. My LB works everywhere. It goes nicely with my skin tone, build and wrist size. If you think it looks good on you, it does. If you want to use it as a daily, you can. Your money, your choice, your life.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 07:37 PM   #6
just1time
"TRF" Member

I had a Bluesy. Sold it last year and regret it deeply. It was a daily wearer for me. The blue is so captivating. It can be dressy or casual.I think everyone should have the bluesy in their collection. Am definitely looking to get one back in my collection. Am at the CDG airport in Paris typing right now and I saw the exhibition Bluesy at the Rolex store. Brought back memories. I want it back.
You cannot go wrong with a Bluesy.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 07:44 PM   #7
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
No ownership experience yet although hoping soon. I've tried the new one on and found it quite comfortable. Hoping to have one soon. On a side note, why are all the wearers here lefty?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 07:44 PM   #8
blatchcorn
"TRF" Member

It is a sub with an extra wow factor. Sometimes I feel a little shy wearing it because it is a statement piece but it isn't as flashy as a full gold piece. I think you can wear the bluesey with anything. The bluesey is a very good looking watch that doesn't appear to be trying too hard.

blatchcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 07:47 PM   #9
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I got mine about a month and a half ago, and I love it. Funny because I don’t consider myself that flashy, but IMO it’s a sub that knows how to party.

I don’t think it calls that much attention. Most people in the wild don’t really notice your watch. I think it’s a great daily wear-great with a suit or with shorts.
Old 16 May 2022, 08:15 PM   #10
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Can’t speak for the bluesy, but I wear my old school black 5 digit as a daily

ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 08:17 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
On a side note, why are all the wearers here lefty?
I'm not.

I wore my watch on my left wrist from age 8 to 18. I broke my arms (simultaneously) when I was 18. My left wrist took months longer to heal and by the time it could comfortably accommodate a watch, I was used to wearing it on the right. The left didn't feel right despite several attempts to swap back.

I expect my watches take a bit more of a bashing. One of may reasons why I wear a sturdy and reliable watch than can take it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 08:42 PM   #12
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Just wait for your “Starbucks”. They are not a super long wait in many areas and the market price is currently dropping should you want to buy in secondary market.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 08:57 PM   #13
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My first Rolex was a 5 digit version. Wore it daily and for every activity for 18 years. I’m a low key person and I didn’t feel it to be flashy at all. This was before all the hype out there and I know my bracelet ‘dulled’ over time because when I finally had it serviced, it definitely came back shiny.
Bottom line it’s an iconic piece that I truly enjoyed. Only reason I moved it because I prefer the newer references for this particular Sub…get it if you fell in love with it!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 10:04 PM   #14
stylinleems

I owned the Bluesy in 2018 but ultimately sold it. The pop of the dial color is amazing and it compliments the SS and yellow gold but for me in the end, it was a bit too flashy (and it was a scratch magnet).

It does look good on your wrist though, I'd keep it on the list as you removed the 126610LV.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 10:11 PM   #15
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Don’t do it! I got the bluesy 3 times for the very same reason you are doing. You can’t get what you want on your list, but you know you can get the bluesy, so you settle. If you had the bluesy on top of your list, of course go for it. I didn’t want to wait for the BLNR so tried to make it work. The bluesy blue dial in the sun is a neon blue. Many love it, but not for me. You have to get what you want. These are north of 10k items, if they are not exactly what you want, don’t get it.
Old 16 May 2022, 10:13 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s a beautiful reference, but it would be a rotation watch for me
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 10:17 PM   #17
brnalkn
"TRF" Member

I have owned bluesy 3 times,I regretted everytime.Now I have 116613 for 3 years now and rotating with my Deepsea everyday.Bluesy is one of the best looking ref. Rolex ever made.No doubt.

brnalkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 10:32 PM   #18
alweisenberger
"TRF" Member

I have both a 41 Bluesy and 41 sub date i wear as a daily. I am definitely not a flashy person, but love wearing the Bluesy once a week or so when I feel like it. I have only had 1 person comment on it, I think ppl overstate how much attention it gets in public.
alweisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 11:04 PM   #19
Easy E

It is such a fantastic piece. It is noticeable, but not in your face. I wear mine about once week.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 11:15 PM   #20
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I’m an introvert 75% of the time, less so the remaining 25%, bearing in mind this only applies when I’m sober .

I got my TT Bluesy in Sep 2020. What sealed the deal for me was the dial, best blue dial I’ve ever seen, far superior to the bright blue dial you’ll find in other Rolex models (OP, DJ, YM) and many other brands. I began to appreciate TT around 2019, when to me it started to look more classy and less gaudy than I originally thought.

It's not my daily watch, not because it’s TT, but for one simple reason: I rotate my watches. I just get more pleasure out of variety.

The Bluesy is an ultra-cool piece. It stands out in a nice and friendly way. Always fun to wear, either on an overcast day (deep blue dial full of nuances) or on a nice sunny day (sunburst, here I come!). The gold mixed with steel gives it that extra lushness. It’s the most beautiful watch I own in a showy kind of way. I also appreciate the understated beauty of more conservative looking pieces but the Bluesy has something striking and magical about it.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 12:42 AM   #21
TexEd
"TRF" Member

The bluesy is gorgeous and striking. I had the two tone but sold it and purchased the all gold model. I love it. I also have the all gold root beer which is also pretty but slightly muted with the rose gold.

I much prefer two tones and all gold to stainless but that's just me.
TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 01:14 AM   #22
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for sharing you thoughts and experiences, I really appreciate it.

On the whole the feelings seem very positive towards this model, which gives me the confidence that I have made a good choice.

I would describe myself as a confident but not overly extrovert kind of person, so I don’t think the bluesy would be out of place on my wrist. As many have said I was totally drawn in by the dial and then the added wow of the steel and gold.

So I am pleased and look forward to sharing the good news when I eventually get the call to go and collect it. I fully expect this to be the next piece I get a call about as the Polar Explorer is probably much higher demand and DJ41s are like hen’s teeth apparently
Old 17 May 2022, 01:21 AM   #23
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Don’t do it! I got the bluesy 3 times for the very same reason you are doing. You can’t get what you want on your list, but you know you can get the bluesy, so you settle. If you had the bluesy on top of your list, of course go for it. I didn’t want to wait for the BLNR so tried to make it work. The bluesy blue dial in the sun is a neon blue. Many love it, but not for me. You have to get what you want. These are north of 10k items, if they are not exactly what you want, don’t get it.
Interesting….and I hear what you are saying.
It’s not that I don’t want the bluesy, I find it totally captivating, it’s just I guess I had been focussed on other models before it and am totally certain I would have added a TT at some point.
Ultimately I want to be able to add pieces to my collection, so that I can appreciate and enjoy them. I just don’t see the point in holdin* out for watches which realistically I know I stand very little chance of actually getting.
I totally understand what you are saying, but hopefully you can see that ultimately I am a watch enthusiast and the opportunity to own lots of beautiful time pieces is what I want to be able to do over my lifetime
Old 17 May 2022, 01:25 AM   #24
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
Just wait for your “Starbucks”. They are not a super long wait in many areas and the market price is currently dropping should you want to buy in secondary market.
In London I think they are extremely hard to get hold of and I am guessing that in a city like London, even though my spend is pretty decent (across a number of different brands) I am still small fry and there will be many in front of my on the list.

I have pretty much been told this by the AD, in the nicest way obviously
Old 17 May 2022, 02:38 AM   #25
Webster2281
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG YM2
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy88 View Post
Interesting….and I hear what you are saying.
It’s not that I don’t want the bluesy, I find it totally captivating, it’s just I guess I had been focussed on other models before it and am totally certain I would have added a TT at some point.
Ultimately I want to be able to add pieces to my collection, so that I can appreciate and enjoy them. I just don’t see the point in holdin* out for watches which realistically I know I stand very little chance of actually getting.
I totally understand what you are saying, but hopefully you can see that ultimately I am a watch enthusiast and the opportunity to own lots of beautiful time pieces is what I want to be able to do over my lifetime
have you happened to have seen an all gold one (YG in particular)?
Webster2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 02:46 AM   #26
waxy88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster2281 View Post
have you happened to have seen an all gold one (YG in particular)?
I never have….
Old 17 May 2022, 03:01 AM   #27
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Bluesy dial was nice but not for me. Too flashy for my liking.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 03:09 AM   #28
bp1000
"TRF" Member

My least worn watch I think, couldn't tell you why because it is a very special, very interesting piece. I've had it for about 7 or 8 years

TT was never my thing until I saw it and had to buy it. The blue and gold is incredible. Probably the fact it is TT and blue and flashy might be one reason I dont wear it as a daily but I throughly enjoy it each time I choose it to wear.

It is certainly very versatile if TT suits you

bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 03:59 AM   #29
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Bluesy 16613 was my first Rolex and my daily wearer until I acquired other Rolexes. I loved it, I miss it, and it was great for every occasion.

That being said. It was a bit flashy, which I loved, although it wasn’t always the understated look I wanted. Ultimately it ended up not seeing a ton of wrist time in the line up and I sold it.

I regret selling it and would buy and probably will buy a 116613 or a 126613 to replace it. I did not love that as a daily driver my older model didn’t have the glidelock. Here in CA, it’s hot, it’s cold, it’s not…. As a daily I really appreciate having a perfect fit anytime I need it.

Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 04:07 AM   #30
Goin2drt
Banned

Honestly it is my favorite Rolex of all that I have owned HOWEVER I sold it as I found myself very self conscience wearing it as it gets way too much attention. It was spending too much time in the safe and I am all about wearing my watches.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote