The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 May 2022, 12:24 PM   #1
rwk246
"TRF" Member

Ebay Surprise

Playing around on eBay today. Just for fun, I searched "Rolex guarantee paper", and was shocked to find page after page of apparently authentic such, of all vintages. Similar experience if one searches "Rolex guarantee card." I am at a loss how there can be really any market for these; they are obviously specific to a single serial-numbered watch, and many have written entries of the purchaser and/or seller. Asking prices range from below $100. to over $400. Who would pay this, and why? It would be no good for one's unpapered watch since of course the numbers won't match. People will collect anything, so maybe that's it.
Comments?
Old 21 May 2022, 12:34 PM   #2
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk246 View Post
People will collect anything, so maybe that's it.
Comments?
I remember back when eBay first started, and one of my husband's brothers told us that he and his son were doing searches on eBay to see what kind of stuff was available, and they were surprised to find that people were actually offering hoarked-up cat hairballs on auction.

So, yeah, people will collect anything.
Old 21 May 2022, 01:36 PM   #3
underpar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk246 View Post
Playing around on eBay today. Just for fun, I searched "Rolex guarantee paper", and was shocked to find page after page of apparently authentic such, of all vintages. Similar experience if one searches "Rolex guarantee card." I am at a loss how there can be really any market for these; they are obviously specific to a single serial-numbered watch, and many have written entries of the purchaser and/or seller. Asking prices range from below $100. to over $400. Who would pay this, and why? It would be no good for one's unpapered watch since of course the numbers won't match. People will collect anything, so maybe that's it.
Comments?
Many of these used to be sites fishing for people wanting fake papers. In other words, you contact them and give them the model and serial number of your watch and they produce fake cards and/or papers.

There was one site in China that would get you a fake RSC invoice and Warranty card with your serial number on it for $75 USD.

Another reason why "trusted sellers" should not be trusted. Do you think they can or want to tell the difference between fake or real warranty cards?

When fake Rolex movements can be fool any enthusiast, do you really think an invoice and plastic card can't beat anyone?
Closed Thread