The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 December 2020, 01:06 AM   #1
vdm9
"TRF" Member

Watch: datejust 41
School Me on A Lange & Sohne Lange I

Hello All

So I am researching the Lange I and see the different styles, mainly the intersecting sub dials and the independent ones. I am shopping preowned and I am getting different thoughts from dealers as to which is the "one" I love the numeral dates and the overall look.

Any guidance or education on this brand since I am new to this brand.

Thank You

vdm
vdm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:22 AM   #2
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

In a similar situation and about to pull the trigger on an ALS L1, myself. Others are more well-versed in the brand and this particular reference, but here are my thoughts from the “peanut gallery”.

1) I’ve read that the L1 is to ALS as the RO is to AP, the Submariner to Rolex, and the Tank to Cartier. It is one of, if not, THE icon for ALS.

2) There are subtle differences between 38.5 L1 references over time (materials aside), include 2015 and later the bezel being thinned out so as to make the watch appear “bigger”, but still keeping the 38.5 mm size.

3) The manual movement is befitting of a watch that can be deemed a dress piece, however, many will attest that the L1 is a chameleon in that it can be worn with formal attire, as well as casual attire.

4) If you have a larger wrist, look at the 40.5 mm Grand L1

5) Different iterations like time zone, moon phase, etc. are all dignified complications that add to the L1

Bonus: For the money (especially pre-owned), one of the best values out there in haute horology, with top tier finishing, bauhaus design, and oh ... that L121.1 movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm9 View Post
Hello All

So I am researching the Lange I and see the different styles, mainly the intersecting sub dials and the independent ones. I am shopping preowned and I am getting different thoughts from dealers as to which is the "one" I love the numeral dates and the overall look.

Thank You

vdm
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:29 AM   #3
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Great points. Yes L1 is the iconic watch from this brand but do your research on all the different models as they all have their charm and fit differently on the wrist due to case thickness.

I found the 1815 U/D to be the right one for me and I find it to be more versatile and love the blued hands. Can't go wrong with any of these models as they are all truly stunning!!
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:00 AM   #4
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
School Me on A Lange & Sohne Lange I

Great choice. You will love whatever Lange you choose. I picked up the Saxonia moonphase as my first. The Lange 1 moonphase will be my next piece. You can see the 38.5 mm next to the 40 mm in pic 2.

The last pic is grand Lange 1 for size reference. Even with 7.25" wrist I prefer the 38.5 and 40 mm. The grand fits fine by modern standards but it loses the dress look.

Old 5 December 2020, 06:30 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
In a similar situation and about to pull the trigger on an ALS L1, myself. Others are more well-versed in the brand and this particular reference, but here are my thoughts from the “peanut gallery”.

1) I’ve read that the L1 is to ALS as the RO is to AP, the Submariner to Rolex, and the Tank to Cartier. It is one of, if not, THE icon for ALS.

2) There are subtle differences between 38.5 L1 references over time (materials aside), include 2015 and later the bezel being thinned out so as to make the watch appear “bigger”, but still keeping the 38.5 mm size.

3) The manual movement is befitting of a watch that can be deemed a dress piece, however, many will attest that the L1 is a chameleon in that it can be worn with formal attire, as well as casual attire.

5) Different iterations like time zone, moon phase, etc. are all dignified complications that add to the L1

Bonus: For the money (especially pre-owned), one of the best values out there in haute horology, with top tier finishing, bauhaus design, and oh ... that L121.1 movement!
Nice summary!

I have read it before but I fail to see much Bauhaus design in the L1. German design yes, Bauhaus not so much. Saxonia Thin feels inspired by the Bauhaus - very much "less is more" and very different from the L1.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:31 AM   #6
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Nice summary!

I have read it before but I fail to see much Bauhaus design in the L1. German design yes, Bauhaus not so much. Saxonia Thin feels inspired by the Bauhaus - very much "less is more" and very different from the L1.
I think I read that all of the circles and shapes on the L1 dial form isosceles triangles with one another. That’s the homage/conformance to Bauhaus (read: shapes being the artistic to legible dial being the practical). Very cool.
Old 5 December 2020, 08:57 AM   #7
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think I read that all of the circles and shapes on the L1 dial form isosceles triangles with one another. That’s the homage/conformance to Bauhaus (read: shapes being the artistic to legible dial being the practical). Very cool.
Fibonacci, yes. Bauhaus definitely no.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 10:51 AM   #8
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

So, go to timezone.com and access the Lange subpage. CR and Jorge Peralta are savants and can provide massive insight. Also, @langepedia on IG is a definitive reference. I bought my Lange 1 from Jorge. An ALS piece that speaks to you will provide years of joy. When the time comes for service, send it to Alkis at Swiss Watch Repair in NYC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_21.jpeg (252.2 KB, 516 views)
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:30 PM   #9
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJONES View Post
Fibonacci, yes. Bauhaus definitely no.
Upon further review, can’t disagree with you here.
Old 5 December 2020, 04:20 PM   #10
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Here is an excellent video about the Lange 1 design

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3MSJj_GfZb4
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 04:58 PM   #11
sameer222
"TRF" Member

Watch: PatekRolexAPLange
Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
So, go to timezone.com and access the Lange subpage. CR and Jorge Peralta are savants and can provide massive insight. Also, @langepedia on IG is a definitive reference. I bought my Lange 1 from Jorge. An ALS piece that speaks to you will provide years of joy. When the time comes for service, send it to Alkis at Swiss Watch Repair in NYC.
I have this rose gold with slate grey dial Lange 1. Simply stunning!
sameer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 08:43 PM   #12
amateurcollector
"TRF" Member

- buy preowned. The last great value in watches. You can wear it with anything from a suit to shirt and jeans
- the intersecting indicators you mentioned are on the older models
- personal preference is the YG champagne dial cognac strap, but you can’t go wrong. If I was to get another one, the black dial and gold case or the platinum might be interesting
amateurcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 02:33 AM   #13
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
thank you !!

Quote:

1) not sure about this, though i am not the expert. but seems the datograph, zeitwerk and saxonia are all special ALS pieces
4)and go pre-2016 (correct me if I'm wrong) to get the 42mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm9 View Post
Hello All

Thank You

vdm
you can't go wrong and welcome to ALS club

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurcollector View Post
- buy preowned. The last great value in watches. You can wear it with anything from a suit to shirt and jeans
couldn't agree more
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 07:53 AM   #14
Brewstanton
"TRF" Member

Looking to buy a Lange Moonphase 1, is the rose gold a little more flashy and have more of a presence than the platinum model? I like the white dials with the moonphase and not sure which one is nicer in person or what people think of those two options compare to one another. I think the rose gold is nicer than the yellow, too. Any suggestions or perceptions or advice is greatly appreciated!
Brewstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:56 PM   #15
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

School me on Lange? www.langepedia.com - a must read.
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 05:24 AM   #16
base924
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulituan View Post
School me on Lange? www.langepedia.com - a must read.
THIS!

Sendt fra min VOG-L29 med Tapatalk
base924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:13 AM   #17
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I was in a similar situation not long ago and came to the conclusion I wanted one with a blue dial although I only saw it on pictures. Got the watch but don’t love the blue dial in real life. To me the L1 works best with lighter dials. And ideally, try it on before buying...
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote